Pony Expess on ESPN

Good program on today again tonight at 1;00 AM plus will all be available Sat morn at 8;00 on ESC..... I am sure SMUt fans wishes it was on more often hahaha..... Makes  them look terrible and

Gov. Clements even worse....  Title of program is 30-30 and called Pony Excress.  It actually appears a lot on ESC...

This was my favorite of the 30 for 30 series. Growing up in Ft. Worth during the 70s and 80s, watching the SWC play each week was a real treat, even if they were cheating badly, especially the Phonies. I didn't follow UNT until 1990, the year before I got here as a freshman. I only had known that North Texas was a 1-aa school, nothing else, but I always wondered why they were at that level and not with the other SWC teams or UTEP in the WAC. But, anyway, growing up in Ft. Worth I saw plenty of games at the old Amon Carter Stadium, which was great. I still believe that $MU team with Dickerson, James, and Lance McIlhenny was the best I ever saw in person (they should have been since they were being paid). They were the best team that year, but the NCAA was going to make sure that they cheating wouldn't get rewarded, which was the right thing to do. Of course, SMU cheated worse than the others because they always got caught, but every SWC team except for Rice got caught doing something illegal during the SWC days.

Back then, especially in the early to mid 80s, Texas, Arkansas, SMU, Houston, Baylor, A&M, and TCU had teams that were ranked in the Top 20, which was all you had then. Only Tech and Rice were teams that never got ranked. The first six mentioned above played in The Cotton Bowl as the SWC Champs, which was a real treat to know that the early New Years Day game was an SWC team against another heavyweight from another part of the country. It was so neat seeing Notre Dame, Penn State, Alabama, Georgia, Boston College, Auburn, Ohio State, UCLA, Tennessee, Miami, Florida State, and USC come to town to play the SWC representative. Definitely a bygone era.

From what I've read and heard, North Texas State under Hayden Fry would've been a tough one to beat back then. It would've been interesting to see if we had gotten into the SWC what it would've been like for us, on a competitive basis, going week-in and week-out with those great teams. And where we would be today as a program if we had gotten membership into the club. Would we be where we are today, below the majority of those SWC teams or we would be at UH's level, conference-wise? Or Tech's? Or higher?

• Upvote 1

That was an interesting documentary, I definitely learned a lot more about the SMU scandal, after watching that. I'm a guy born in the 90's, So I didn't get to personally witness the death penalty on the pony princesses like the older generations on GMG. I just get to watch a documentary like this, to get my info.

It is kind of funny at the end of that documentary when they are talking about June Jones. They make him out to be a coach that would turn the doomed ship around for the program. I was snickering at that part because UNT sent June on his way last year.

• Upvote 2

Good program on today again tonight at 1;00 AM plus will all be available Sat morn at 8;00 on ESC..... I am sure SMUt fans wishes it was on more often hahaha..... Makes  them look terrible and

Gov. Clements even worse....  Title of program is 30-30 and called Pony Excress.  It actually appears a lot on ESC...

Made by an SMU Band alumnus. Most SMU fans are proud of the doc. Also, please learn how to spell Excess / Expess / Excress/ Exxon Mobile.

• Upvote 2

Made by an SMU Band alumnus. Most SMU fans are proud of the doc. Also, please learn how to spell Excess / Expess / Excress/ Exxon Mobile.

Ah the age old internet come back and sure fire way to know one is losing-attack the other person's grammar or spelling!

You played it well, even though it's an inherently weak attack you gave it a go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ah the age old internet come back and sure fire way to know one is losing-attack the other person's grammar or spelling!

You played it well, even though it's an inherently weak attack you gave it a go.

I normally wouldn't go for such low hanging fruit but it was so far off base that it looked pretty bad if not intentional. A modified Poe's Law if you will. Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will, to some readers, be indistinguishable from sincere expressions of the parodied views. 

Besides, what do I have to lose here? It's a gall durn football forum not scientific discourse. Don't be so serious- have a chill pill/beer and rub one out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This was my favorite of the 30 for 30 series. Growing up in Ft. Worth during the 70s and 80s, watching the SWC play each week was a real treat, even if they were cheating badly, especially the Phonies. I didn't follow UNT until 1990, the year before I got here as a freshman. I only had known that North Texas was a 1-aa school, nothing else, but I always wondered why they were at that level and not with the other SWC teams or UTEP in the WAC. But, anyway, growing up in Ft. Worth I saw plenty of games at the old Amon Carter Stadium, which was great. I still believe that $MU team with Dickerson, James, and Lance McIlhenny was the best I ever saw in person (they should have been since they were being paid). They were the best team that year, but the NCAA was going to make sure that they cheating wouldn't get rewarded, which was the right thing to do. Of course, SMU cheated worse than the others because they always got caught, but every SWC team except for Rice got caught doing something illegal during the SWC days.

Back then, especially in the early to mid 80s, Texas, Arkansas, SMU, Houston, Baylor, A&M, and TCU had teams that were ranked in the Top 20, which was all you had then. Only Tech and Rice were teams that never got ranked. The first six mentioned above played in The Cotton Bowl as the SWC Champs, which was a real treat to know that the early New Years Day game was an SWC team against another heavyweight from another part of the country. It was so neat seeing Notre Dame, Penn State, Alabama, Georgia, Boston College, Auburn, Ohio State, UCLA, Tennessee, Miami, Florida State, and USC come to town to play the SWC representative. Definitely a bygone era.

From what I've read and heard, North Texas State under Hayden Fry would've been a tough one to beat back then. It would've been interesting to see if we had gotten into the SWC what it would've been like for us, on a competitive basis, going week-in and week-out with those great teams. And where we would be today as a program if we had gotten membership into the club. Would we be where we are today, below the majority of those SWC teams or we would be at UH's level, conference-wise? Or Tech's? Or higher?

TCU was actually consistently pretty pathetic from 1960 up into the late 90's. Only three minor bowl games for them (all losses) between 1960 and 1997 before Patterson arrived on the scene. Almost hard to believe how bad they were considering their teams of recent years.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/TexasChristian.htm

TCU was actually consistently pretty pathetic from 1960 up into the late 90's. Only three minor bowl games for them (all losses) between 1960 and 1997 before Patterson arrived on the scene. Almost hard to believe how bad they were considering their teams of recent years.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/TexasChristian.htm

Yeah, you are completely correct on TCU, but in 1984, they were ranked after they got off to a great start. Then they finished with three straight losses to Texas, A&M, and West Virginia in their bowl game.

Yeah, you are completely correct on TCU, but in 1984, they were ranked after they got off to a great start. Then they finished with three straight losses to Texas, A&M, and West Virginia in their bowl game.

Ah good old Kenneth Davis. The Temple Tornado (IIRC). And they were cheating at the time too I think Davis was suspended or something like that. But what a RB he was. Ended up with a nice pro career.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-09-23/sports/8603110109_1_tcu-coach-jim-wacker-horned-frogs-kenneth-davis

Yep. it all came out in 1985. Wacker kicked him off the team once the payments came into light and self-reported the violations, thinking this would keep TCU from getting heavy sanctions from the NCAA, since they were all over SMU for never disclosing anything back then. And for doing this, the NCAA absolutely torched TCUs scholarships and TV appearances, IIRC.

Private school are always the easier targets to punish by the NCAA. Baylor will find out again, soon enough...