UNT QB's in 8.17.15 morning practice (video)

Harry

These videos have me a little more hopeful about McNulty. It is clear that he and D.Smith are the two best out there. Means and Greer have good size but look awkward throwing on the run. They should be 3rd and 4th team clearly, with D.Smith at 2nd for now. That won't happen because Mac is old school and values tenure and the amount of work you've put in over natural ability.(I'll never understand this, you don't sit a top 5 draft pick just because he is a rookie) McNulty is very good at running through drills and has good footwork, I just hate his strange throwing motion. D.Smith has a much more natural throwing motion, a quicker release, and a stronger arm. He has me hopeful about '16 if he sticks it out.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

These videos have me a little more hopeful about McNulty. It is clear that he and D.Smith are the two best out there. Means and Greer have good size but look awkward throwing on the run. They should be 3rd and 4th team clearly, with D.Smith at 2nd for now. That won't happen because Mac is old school and values tenure and the amount of work you've put in over natural ability.(I'll never understand this, you don't sit a top 5 draft pick just because he is a rookie) McNulty is very good at running through drills and has good footwork, I just hate his strange throwing motion. D.Smith has a much more natural throwing motion, a quicker release, and a stronger arm. He has me hopeful about '16 if he sticks it out.

Agree...good observations.

• Upvote 2

I would also agree except I don't discount the fact that Smith has been practicing for a little over a week. He has to learn the Playbook. 

Smith has been in Denton since January, he just could not have any formal dealings with the football team/staff until the Summer workouts.  

He's had time with the team in the weightroom/filmroom/practice fields for months now.  I assume he picked up the playbook as soon as Spring semester ended (but I'd be willing to bet even more that he browsed through it on the down-low as soon as he got to Denton back in January).

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

Smith has been in Denton since January, he just could not have any formal dealings with the football team/staff until the Summer workouts.  
He's had time with the team in the weightroom/filmroom/practice fields for months now.  I assume he picked up the playbook as soon as Spring semester ended (but I'd be willing to bet even more that he browsed through it on the down-low as soon as he got to Denton back in January).

Al of this is probably pretty accurate. 

• Upvote 2

Give the kid a hot minute to learn the offense. It's not like memorizing Hamlet.

If you're talking about uptempo offense, and you're doing it right, that's a couple plays a minute at least.

What're the checks, what are the reads? Are you putting your H-back in motion to check or manipulate the defense? Is your flanker going to into motion? Who's the hot read? Which direction is the rb running or is it a short handoff to the fb?

During a series, you're talking about (hopefully) several plays one after the other, and you're having to take this and more into account.

He's finally had a chance to try it live. It's gonna take a bit.

And you have to deal with those dumb picture boards. 

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/damarcussmith7/status/628080343937986560

He obviously had access took advantage of it sometime since he's gotten here.

Edited by Christopher Walker

His throws look effortless. I suspect that if he launched a 50 yard throw, he would have pretty much the same motion as a 20 yard throw.  It's pretty much the same thing I saw in Shanbour last year. Quick natural release.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Something else I've noticed in watching these qb videos, the qbs are either throwing to a jogging target or a stationary one. Shouldn't we practice how we play and have the route runners going full speed? Seems like they could pull some freshman wrs and Shanbour and have them run full speed routes to get used to game ready throws.

https://twitter.com/damarcussmith7/status/628080343937986560

He obviously had access took advantage of it sometime since he's gotten here.

That was Aug 3. He has been eligible for a couple of months now. 

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/05/big-news-damarcus-smith-eligible.html/