What Connor means to UNT

Harry

What I dont understand - is why is there not more of a buzz regarding Quinn Shanbour? I havent seen him play. But from reading the reports by the guys who watched Spring workouts, it sounds like he has the strongest and most accurate arm... the quickest release... the best speed... and is showing the most potential for strong leadership of any of the QB's. If this is all the case, why wouldnt he at the least be as big a part of the conversation as Connor Means?

• Upvote 3

What I dont understand - is why is there not more of a buzz regarding Quinn Shanbour? I havent seen him play. But from reading the reports by the guys who watched Spring workouts, it sounds like he has the strongest and most accurate arm... the quickest release... the best speed... and is showing the most potential for strong leadership of any of the QB's. If this is all the case, why wouldnt he at the least be as big a part of the conversation as Connor Means?

There are more than a few who share your thoughts about Shanbour.  He just has a long road for reps, especially with Josh and DaMarcus and Connor in line behine McNulty already.  Guy has talent and you can't completely rule him out.

What I don't understand is how Andrew McNulty is considered by many including our coaching staff as our starter. The more I analyze Damarcus Smith's JUCO stats in comparison to other successful QB's who have made the transition it seems like a no brainer to publicly keep the competition open and may the best player win the job in fall camp. But that's not the perception the staff is portraying and that is a head scratcher. 

• Upvote 1

What I don't understand is how Andrew McNulty is considered by many including our coaching staff as our starter. The more I analyze Damarcus Smith's JUCO stats in comparison to other successful QB's who have made the transition it seems like a no brainer to publicly keep the competition open and may the best player win the job in fall camp. But that's not the perception the staff is portraying and that is a head scratcher. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the coaching staff usually says things like "McNulty is our starter right now" (leaving the door cracked) rather than statements like "McNulty will be starting against SMU".  I think it's McNulty's job to lose between now and September 12th.  Competition open.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the coaching staff usually says thins like "McNulty is are starter right now" (leaving the door cracked) rather than statements like "McNulty will be starting against SMU".  I think it's McNulty's job to lose between now and September 12th.  Competition open.  

You may recall, before the 2013 season we were all surprised how close Dajon came to beating Derek out for the starting job.  Was it coach speak or legit?  Who knows but I do think they will keep it open and give the other guys a chance to show what they can do.

If that "chance" you speak of is a fair one then there is no rhyme or reason why McNulty should be starting Sep 12th at SMU. 

keep in mind that physical tools only account for part of the grade.  They also have to know the system and be able to make the right decisions and based on what I've seen from this coaching staff, these are more important than raw talent.  There's your possible rhyme and reason.  

• Upvote 2

keep in mind that physical tools only account for part of the grade.  They also have to know the system and be able to make the right decisions and based on what I've seen from this coaching staff, these are more important than raw talent.  There's your possible rhyme and reason.  

It seems that all you need to know is how to run the read option and throw a few swing passes and screens. We don't have a pass heavy offense because that requires a quarterback with a college-level arm.

It amuses me that Mac said "does he have the biggest gun you've ever seen in college football? no." This is amuses me because if you put McNulty on a sliding scale of FBS quarterbacks he would shade heavily toward being the smallest gun.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

I don't care about that. Canales shouldn't care too much about that either or he'll be looking for a new job at seasons end. 

That fact that we have (what 9?) Quarterbacks, and if we end up in sinking at center in season's end, should be a premise to can coach Canales. If I was the dude, I would be looking at each and every QB, and seriously thinking about which one is going to save him from that doom. If he decides it is AM, then he better have a dang good reason as to why he's beating someone like Smith for the starting spot. 

• Upvote 1

That fact that we have (what 9?) Quarterbacks, and if we end up in sinking at center in season's end, should be a premise to can coach Canales. If I was the dude, I would be looking at each and every QB, and seriously thinking about which one is going to save him from that doom. If he decides it is AM, then he better have a dang good reason as to why he's beating someone like Smith for the starting spot. 

I agree and that reason doesn't need to pertain to a stupid test. If that in fact happens it should be because Andrew McNulty is a better QB than Smith. Which is not true and that would never be said. Damarcus Smith is head and shoulders a better QB than AM. Smith has proven to be consistent and patient unlike our former hopeful in DW. If we lose with AM as our starter this year there is no reason why Dan McCarney should not be fired. The MGN should be cutting checks at the cyclic rate to ensure it happens. 

I wish there was a counter that kept track of how many times we have talked about the "QB situation" this summer. All this talk and I still want more.

I can't believe so much emphasis on a qb in a RUN heavy offense...especially considering the rb situation last year.

This year we are depending on a sophomore who was injured last year to solidify the spot.  Everyone assumes RB is fine.

For a fanbase that has seen a few top conference and NFL talent RBS come through here, it sure seems like the RB position is getting a pass from the critics.  

We get us a top cusa back, then a lot of issues get settled.  One can say the same about QB, but what is more realistic based on UNTs history?  

I can't believe so much emphasis on a qb in a RUN heavy offense...especially considering the rb situation last year.

This year we are depending on a sophomore who was injured last year to solidify the spot.  Everyone assumes RB is fine.

For a fanbase that has seen a few top conference and NFL talent RBS come through here, it sure seems like the RB position is getting a pass from the critics.  

We get us a top cusa back, then a lot of issues get settled.  One can say the same about QB, but what is more realistic based on UNTs history?  

As long as Wilson stays healthy I don't think we have anything to worry about at RB. But his durability does cause some concern, especially if we're operating a lot from under center with his more-angular frame for a running back.

• Upvote 1

A publicly announced open QB competition with 0 preconceived notions. 0 bias, 0 favortism. Let it be fully known to players and fans alike that QB1 is TBD in fall camp. It's not difficult. 

Saying something like this?

"Last year's quarterback play was terrible, and so at this point we have no depth chart at the quarterback position. These guys are going to have to come and work their tails off both on the field and in the field room. Cream rises to the top and that's what we expect out of the quarterback position here at North Texas. Everyone is on an even field starting fall camp but you can be damn sure that the best man for the job will be taking that first snap on September 12 in Dallas. I don't care if I have a true freshman walk-on or a 5th year senior captain win the job, we're gonna win that football game in Dallas."

I am not sure when that was said or who it was said by, but this is a new revelation to me. 

All I know I heard was the garbage Mac spewed at CUSA media day practically crowning AM as our starter by comparing him to Derek Thompson. Also, Brett Vito has a better understanding of what is going on in the locker room than most of us and his sentiment is that Andrew McNulty is our clear cut starter at this point. 

I am not sure when that was said or who it was said by, but this is a new revelation to me. 

All I know I heard was the garbage Mac spewed at CUSA media day practically crowning AM as our starter by comparing him to Derek Thompson. Also, Brett Vito has a better understanding of what is going on in the locker room than most of us and his sentiment is that Andrew McNulty is our clear cut starter at this point. 

I made it up. I was just giving you hypothetical open competition coach speak.

Edited by Cr1028

Saying something like this?

"Last year's quarterback play was terrible, and so at this point we have no depth chart at the quarterback position. These guys are going to have to come and work their tails off both on the field and in the field room. Cream rises to the top and that's what we expect out of the quarterback position here at North Texas. Everyone is on an even field starting fall camp but you can be damn sure that the best man for the job will be taking that first snap on September 12 in Dallas. I don't care if I have a true freshman walk-on or a 5th year senior captain win the job, we're gonna win that football game in Dallas."

This is exactly what I want to hear.  Connor Means and the rest of the QB's should not be evaluated differently.  Each one should have a chance.  I realize that you have limited snaps so perhaps you give them the first two weeks of camp and make your decisions after that.  Chico has GOT to get this one right, we can't afford another carousel.  You can also give some of the QB's a chance for action in certain game situations.  Let's start giving our younger guys a chance to get some experience and show what they can do!