Class of 2016 progress report

As of this morning I've finally caught up on all our offers listed and publicized. June is the last month you really see offers coming out frequently. For the rest of the summer and into football season the offers will start coming out a lot slower, especially until the season ends. So here are some thoughts:

1. No commitments yet

If we don't have a commitment in the next 3 days then it will be the latest into the process until we've received our first commitment since Mccarney has been here (excluding 2011 class when he arrived with just a few months until signing day). For the class of 2012 Rex Rollins committed on June 15th 2011, and since then we've received our first commitment earlier than the prior year every year since, with Rodney Bendy committing in early May last year. That streak will end, and it's doesn't like we're all that close to a commitment, but hard to really know.

2. No QB offers yet

Easton Underwood reported an offer from us a while back but the legitimacy of the offer was somewhat in question, and even more so was the idea that we would recruit him hard. It doesn't seem like we are, and we haven't offered anyone else. Not having offered a QB by now tells me Coach Mccarney most likely doesn't plan on taking a high school QB this class.

I think that's a really bad mistake, especially when you consider the young QBs on this roster. Dajon is gone, Means hasn't proven anything and was not good in high school, and Chumley just doesn't look like a QB, and Kevin Dillman apparently will not be given a shot at QB. We've taken JUCO QBs 4 out of 5 recruiting classes under Mccarney. There is still time to offer a high school QB, but it just doesn't look like we're taking the necessary measures to prevent that in future years.

3. Way too many offers to guys we have no shot at

Offering guys who are big-time prospects is not a bad thing. It only becomes a bad thing when too high a percentage of our overall offers are to guys like that, which is the case. 

Kevin Dillman had about 18 FBS offers, but those other schools weren't actively recruiting him when he committed to us. They all came as a QB prospect before he committed to Nebraska last April. Creighton Barr had 6 FBS offers last year, none of which were from P5 schools, and that was the most out of our other signees. The vast majority of our 2016 offers so far, at least for the high school kids, have at least that many.

Unless we start recruiting much better, we aren't going to be able to get very many of these kids.

4. I could see a lot of action after our season ends

Last year was interesting because we had a lot of decommitments (even a few recommitments) and signed 15 kids who didn't commit until the last month and a half before signing day. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go old school and wait to lock up a large chunk of our class after our season ends. I could also see us going JUCO heavy then if a lot of these current JUCO guys pan out to at least some degree. It wasn't Coach Mccarney's plan when he got here, but that should be worth watching.
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 No QB offers yet

I think that's a really bad mistake, especially when you consider the young QBs on this roster. Dajon is gone, Means hasn't proven anything and was not good in high school, and Chumley just doesn't look like a QB, and Kevin Dillman apparently will not be given a shot at QB. We've taken JUCO QBs 4 out of 5 recruiting classes under Mccarney. There is still time to offer a high school QB, but it just doesn't look like we're taking the necessary measures to prevent that in future years.

I've been away from the board for a while - when did Dajon leave and whats the story?
  • Upvote 1

Lsst week and no one seems to have a definitive answer to that. 

I semi like going after the big fish hard. The only way to at least get us out there is to throw offers out there so we can sit in their offer list and at least be an option. But, yes, offering largely big fish can backfire and give us to go JUCO, which I am prefectly fine with if they are evaluated properly and cone in and contribute. I've said it many times, let's be the K state of the G5. Hopefully our current JUCOS produce so Mac doesn't get scared off. That will be an interesting development to keep an eye on all season. 

• Upvote 1

Couple things here:

1.) We should make this the pinned 2016 Recruiting thread with list of players that have received offers from us and their current committal status

2.) Issues with the style of recruiting or lack of commitments would need to be placed in other threads and to merely keep this one as an informative thread if at all possible

3.) Once a particular player commits or comes off the board (to another school) we should change the title of the thread to include that -Closed status and make it easier on tracking those who are in play still.  Of course .... if a player commits to UNT we can change the title to include the term -Committed at the end of the Title for the thread.

For Example:  " " would now read "  - Closed ULL" or even "-Committed ULL" at the end of the Title.

Billy and others... if you agree with those terms being used (feel free to present alternatives) then we can get started on that right away and get this years Recruiting Forum looking cleaner than ever before.  Advantages to this style would be that when the player, friends and family of said player types in their name + terms like "Committed" to see who is talking about them then we would have updated threads that could rank higher and produce more visibility for our discussions of these players.

Thoughts?

Edited by All About UNT

Couple things here:

1.) We should make this the pinned 2016 Recruiting thread with list of players that have received offers from us and their current committal status

2.) Issues with the style of recruiting or lack of commitments would need to be placed in other threads and to merely keep this one as an informative thread if at all possible

3.) Once a particular player commits or comes off the board (to another school) we should change the title of the thread to include that -Closed status and make it easier on tracking those who are in play still.  Of course .... if a player commits to UNT we can change the title to include the term -Committed at the end of the Title for the thread.

For Example:  " " would now read "  - Closed ULL" or even "-Committed ULL" at the end of the Title.

Billy and others... if you agree with those terms being used (feel free to present alternatives) then we can get started on that right away and get this years Recruiting Forum looking cleaner than ever before.  Advantages to this style would be that when the player, friends and family of said player types in their name + terms like "Committed" to see who is talking about them then we would have updated threads that could rank higher and produce more visibility for our discussions of these players.

Thoughts?

1 & 2 I disagree with, because I created this thread with the intention of it being opinionated and discussion based. Opinions based on facts, but still my opinions hoping to facilitate some of others, and converse a little bit. As far as making a thread just to list all of our offers, I've definitely tinkered with that idea. Honestly the amount of work that would take does not appeal to me right now, lol. If someone else wants to do that then I'd be more than willing to help, though. I just think the threads are all we really need. If a thread is being bumped then we'll get to see who is worth paying attention to, for our sake.

As for 3, absolutely. I probably would've done it last year had I been able to like I can now. That's how everyone else does it, and for good reason. Also makes for a pleasant surprise for people catching back up, and seeing a thread with "UNT commit" next to it. Definitely not putting "closed" next to a kid's thread because it's 2015 and kids commit earlier each year, thus making for more kids changing their minds and decommititing each year. But putting "committed" is definitely a good idea.

• Upvote 2

I kept a list like AAU is requesting in the blog section for a couple of years. It is a lot of work. 

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/blogs/entry/75-2012-north-texas-football-offers-to-date/

Edited by 97and03