Some Random Positive News

KRAM1

SGA President didn't, but openly admitted to not putting it to a vote because he knew it wouldn't pass, and PO polls were strongly unfavorable.

http://ntdaily.com/master-plan-and-union-grow-with-enrollment/

Says right there, Rawlins approved it. Students voted on how to fund it. Not whether or not they wanted it. I remember, because I was furious that we didn't get to vote on it.

The NT Daily article is referring to Rawlins approving the plan to move forward with the planning. A lot was put into the plans to sell the students on how awesome it would be.

The Denton RC article backs up the fact that the students approved the additional fee.

No it doesn't.

The fee was so that students could choose to pay it now to have it completed ASAP or delegate it a few years down the line. It would be built either way.

I suppose it's possible I'm wrong, but my recollection of the events and all the reporting, including the links you have provided do not match your characterization of the situation.

• Upvote 1

I agree it needed to be upgraded. Didn't need $130m in renovations just so we could attract more commuters so we can meet the absurd goal of 50,000 students. Someone needs to tell our administration it's quality not quantity.

This university given its location is doing a great job of getting students on campus and/or in Denton. Sure, some people commute but as a public university sitting right outside of a large metroplex some people are going to commute. As far as enrollment hitting 50k, so be it. If that's the angle they're going to take then let's surpass FIU.

Can't find the actual poll, but as you can see here: http://ntdaily.com/union-vote-election-results-announced/

"help" is the operative term. It would be built no matter what.

"The student referendum passed 1,220 to 1,033 in favor of the Union fee increase, which will add up to $115 to the current $51 Union fee starting in fall 2014. The increase will help fund construction of the new University Union, which is projected to cost about $120 million and will be completed by fall 2015."

The term help is used because the fee increase is not necessarily the sole source of funds for construction, but without it, the union would not have been able to be built in the absence of huge private donations.

Actually, no.

SGA and NT Daily opposed the union. Polls across campus opposed it. The administration passed it under the table and then only gave students the option to vote on when they wanted to pay for it.

It's no secret that Dr. With's husband works for Burgess and Abbott. Can you not connect the dots?

I graduated with a BA in 2013 and a MA in 2015 and worked in the athletic department in marketing for the last year as well as being an academic assistant last year. You and I have had conversations in person before, but clearly you weren't paying attention.

I got here in 2010, so no, I was not "rallying up the Denia folks" and protesting Apogee. You're hilarious. Just because I don't eat up the BS that a corrupt board of regents feeds you doesn't mean I don't bleed green.

As far as debt goes, it's fine for a bunch of old-timers to say "add debt" when they went to school college was affordable and working a FT would pay for it. Now, you spend ten years trying to get out of under debt after you graduate.

Your unprofessional and childish attitude just really makes me not want to stay in the Alumni Association. I already am a member, but you are a horrible ambassador. You don't do a good job of marketing yourself on the Internet. Sad, you're a reasonable person in person.

See, Ryan. You lose credibility when you post speculation as fact. Dr. With's husband works for Burgess not Abbott. And, as you stated, the students voted in favor of the Union just as they did Apogee. Lots of folks oppose things but lose when the actual election comes around. UNT Daily hardly sways opinions nor does the SGA. They can favor or oppose, but the actual vote says how those who care actually feel about it. Last time I checked the vote was in favor of the Union. List your posts as opinion and I may not agree but they would not be jokes like you claim of speculation in connecting the invisible dots.

You claim that I was employed by the Alumni Assoc. was also wrong...lacking any basis in fact. But, I make no apologies for my unbiased positive opinions of UNT and the fact that I express my opinions openly regarding those that do their best to put UNT down at every opportunity. If that bothers you are free to do as you wish. It is typical of such folks to withhold support for their University because they get butt hurt over someone's personal opinion stated on a message board. Very mature position of you. Should I withdraw my athletic support because I feel you are being very unprofessional and inaccurate in your posts and currently or once worked for the athletic dept? That would be very adult of me, wouldn't it? See, that's the difference. You should stop getting so butt hurt about opinions...they are a worth pretty much zero on a message board. It is a message board after all. If you are looking for agreement with your "all things are wrong at UNT" crap-ola these days, well, there is another board you can join.

Sorry, I do not recall meeting you. Made a big impression did you? Ha! Just kidding. Next time we meet I will pay closer attention. I promise. And, you were in marketing? Some here think there is no marketing dept. funny, right?

Still you won't say what your degrees are in. Why, you embarrassed about them as you seem to be everything UNT these days? You get fired or something? Since you actually worked for the Athletic dept. you know the challenges with funding faced and the non-support by the many so-called UNT fans. You know what increased levels of support would do for the program, yet you choose to side with those that bitch and moan and leave it to others. So, why turn on UNT and the department...unless, of course your feelings are hurt about a job promotion or lack of or maybe being canned. I hope not, but you are doing all you can to take over for UNT90's missing negativity. At least he stated that his posts were his opinions. I do remind you of the ignore button. If my posts hit too close to home for you, well, that's on you. I make no apologies for my openly positive support. If you take it personally, well, get over it. Or get used to it. No apologies for supporting UNT coming from me anytime soon.

And..you can have the last word here again...I am tired of this line of stuff. I get your position. You are welcome to it. Hopefully you will be at the Pkano or Denton Caravans and I can apologize for not rembrring you. I wi try my best to remember. When I see you I am sure I will put the face with the name after all. Let me know if you are coming and I'll make the effort.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

They voted to increase the fee. The other option was to delay the fee increase. "Help" in that the university wouldn't have to find other sources of funding or delay the construction. The university said we can build it now, or build it later. 54% of students picked the former. Students at some point would've paid for it though, no matter what. That's shady.

That is not backed up by any article that you've posted. Either way, I think the constructiveness of the debate has fallen off.

• Upvote 1

Commuters do substantially worse in class. The students UNT should be attracting aren't going to be wooed by a fancy new union. If new facilities mattered UTSA would be the state's best institution.

Uhhh... have you been to utsa's campus? It's horrible. The Union needed a facelift(Period)--->.<---

I'm not sure how building a state of the art Union that puts us on par with the rest of the universities in the region would only attract commuters. If anything, it would help bring in better students. The old Union was an eye sore and rarely used because it was so outdated. Much like Fouts, old administrations let the Union fall into desrepair and something drastic needed to be done to put us on a level playing field with our neighboring schools.

• Upvote 1

Ok...another fact check time....

80% of UNT's 36,000+ students live within a 3-mile radius of the center of campus.

Hardly a commuter school! Fact number 2: UNT even with the new dorm construction cannot house directly on campus the students wishing or being required to live on campus.

Source: Dr Smatresk Plano Rotary Club talk.

Facts are fun, huh? No commuter school this UNT. And lots of those who do commute are grad students or what might be called non-traditional students. Doubtful they are doing any poorer in the classroom than the general population. But, would be good to see the data on that. Am sure it is available somewhere.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

Ok...another fact check time....

80% of UNT's 36,000+ students live within a 3-mile radius of the center of campus.

Hardly a commuter school! Fact number 2: UNT even with the new dorm construction cannot house directly on campus the students wishing or being required to live on campus.

Source: Dr Smatresk Plano Rotary Club talk.

Facts are fun, huh? No commuter school this UNT. And lots of those who do commute are grad students or what might be called non-traditional students. Doubtful they are doing any poorer in the classroom than the general population. But, would be good to see the data on that. Am sure it is available somewhere.

Not trying to call you out, but I've seen several people post this "fact" a few times on this board, and it is incorrect.

Only about 50% of the UNT student population lives within Denton County. The other 50% lives outside of Denton County. Here is my source, page 76 of the UNT 2014-2015 Fact Book: https://institutionalresearch.unt.edu/sites/default/files/FactBook-2014-2015.pdf

I would still classify UNT as a commuter school, although it's much less of a commuter school than it once was.

Edited by Snowy
  • Upvote 1

Not trying to call you out, but I've seen several people post this "fact" a few times on this board, and it is incorrect.

Only about 50% of the UNT student population lives within Denton County. The other 50% lives outside of Denton County. Here is my source, page 76 of the UNT 2014-2015 Fact Book: https://institutionalresearch.unt.edu/sites/default/files/FactBook-2014-2015.pdf

I would still classify UNT as a commuter school, although it's much less of a commuter school than it once was.

u

No problem at all. I have seen those stats as well, but was quoting Dr Smatresk who has said publicly on more than one occasion that it is 80% within three miles. Why say that if he did not have info to back it up? I don't know , of course, but the two do seem contradictory. I think I will go with Dr S for now and see if I can't get some resolution in the near future. Thanks Snowy.. For folks who don't know about that info source you might want to bookmark Smowy's link. It is a pretty reliable source if not in some cases slightly dated.

Edited by KRAM1

And, of course, the "best answer" has to be THAT one. Nicely done but not unexpected.

Obviously not the venue for anything positive regarding UNT.

Edited by KRAM1

We always bitch and moan about not getting proper recognition and respect from the general population, and yet, we are so quick to condemn our own university...don't get it.

• Upvote 2