MGB: McCarney press conference notes

Brett Vito

When thinking about the Jimmy Show, well I like it WHEN it works, but all too often he seems to dance around behind the line and it's too late when he decides to hit the hole and he gets maybe a half yard or a yard or so. If the hole is big enough to drive a Mac truck through Jimmy is really fun to watch in open space. But, in a mess with a small opening you have to hit quickly, it just doesn't seem that is where Jimmy excels. Too much "dancing around" before hitting the hole is what I get out of watching him at practice and during scrimmages and games. Kid has tons of talent and is super exciting to watch in the open field. Just wish he would stop a bit of the Jimmy Dance and get in the hole earlier. Kid has NFL potential, but not sure with his running style he will get much of a look. Hope so...not counting on it.

If Wilson can stay healthy it is pretty apparent that he's the guy! He's looking really good, and like most here, Jimmy's not the guy because he lacks talent. He's not the guy at this point because Wilson is just that much better at this point. Jimmy will see plenty of action and here's hoping he excites the crowd often!

• Upvote 2

Certainly production is much more important but what else do we have to talk about?

Come on - Top 5 most talented/athletic on the team. You make a list. I'll make a list. Not that any of it matters just interested in your thoughts versus mine.

I'll play:

Top 5:

Carlos Harris

Jamal Marshall

Jeff Wilson

Marcus Smith

Tillman Johnson

On the bubble (simply because we haven't seen them play yet):

Tee Goree

Sam Rice

Kevin Dillman

Jaried Combs

DaMarcus Smith

When thinking about the Jimmy Show, well I like it WHEN it works, but all too often he seems to dance around behind the line and it's too late when he decides to hit the hole and he gets maybe a half yard or a yard or so. If the hole is big enough to drive a Mac truck through Jimmy is really fun to watch in open space. But, in a mess with a small opening you have to hit quickly, it just doesn't seem that is where Jimmy excels. Too much "dancing around" before hitting the hole is what I get out of watching him at practice and during scrimmages and games. Kid has tons of talent and is super exciting to watch in the open field. Just wish he would stop a bit of the Jimmy Dance and get in the hole earlier. Kid has NFL potential, but not sure with his running style he will get much of a look. Hope so...not counting on it.

If Wilson can stay healthy it is pretty apparent that he's the guy! He's looking really good, and like most here, Jimmy's not the guy because he lacks talent. He's not the guy at this point because Wilson is just that much better at this point. Jimmy will see plenty of action and here's hoping he excites the crowd often!

To expand on your observation (and mine as well) I watched the last hour of practice yesterday, which was basically scrimmaging different "situations" (goal line, middle field etc.). In all of the scrimmage situations our other "dancer" Willy Ivery was being much more decisive in his runs (1 cut and gone). It improved his production significantly. The same goes for Ezzard (#32 on your program) and our walk-on #34. I really hope he makes it..... that young man is fast.

I also noticed that they are getting Mr. "white Mamba" Lynn (#39 on your program) in the passing game more.

Edited by SilverEagle

This is where I think Jimmerson excels. If he can get the ball in space, he's lethal. If he gets the ball behind the line and needs to find a hole, he's almost a liability.

I agree completely. I don't want to necessarily see designed plays for them exclusively bc defenses can key on that quick, but adding them in the routes and really teaching the QB's to count 2 Mississippi and dump it off. Have a variety of options for the RB to take such as delays, inside and flats. Giving them a designed spot to run to in a pass combo is a recipe for disaster. I think this offense is very, very talented. There are weapons all over the field at TE, RB and WR. If McNulty gets the nod in the fall I will be OK as long as he has improved and shows leadership and decisiveness. I will be able to tell this a little in the spring game and will most definitely be able to see in Dallas in week 1.

Yes, but Emmitt didn't know what specific tweet meangreen13 was referencing

Oh I knew exactly which tweet he was referring to. And to say that Dajon is now 4th on the depth chart based on that tweet is pure conjecture...unlike listening to what the head coach has said:

"McCarney mentioned that Josh Greer and Dajon Williams are still on the same line at backup quarterback as we head down the stretch run of spring ball. Neither has pulled away. Neither has closed the gap on McNulty and the starting job that is looking a whole lot like a chasm to me at this point. McNulty had another really solid day at practice."

Despite the rush to write the kid off as "lazy" or "in the dog house", it just isn't true.

Oh I knew exactly which tweet he was referring to. And to say that Dajon is now 4th on the depth chart based on that tweet is pure conjecture...unlike listening to what the head coach has said:

"McCarney mentioned that Josh Greer and Dajon Williams are still on the same line at backup quarterback as we head down the stretch run of spring ball. Neither has pulled away. Neither has closed the gap on McNulty and the starting job that is looking a whole lot like a chasm to me at this point. McNulty had another really solid day at practice."

Despite the rush to write the kid off as "lazy" or "in the dog house", it just isn't true.

it was definitely conjecture and i know Dajon is going to get what her deserves from the coaches at the end of the day. my comments were really just hinting at the coaches values in their players. honestly, there wasnt much of a difference between dajon and mini in terms of effectiveness last season. the difference was that mini was limited and dajon got in his own way... especially the fumbles. the coaches value a less talented kid with little upside who does it their way" versus a young talent who makes mistakes. i was just pointing out another instance where that type of dynamic would become apparent.