Setting the record straight on UNT fraternity’s Rebel flag

If you want to have some fun though, especially if your standing next to one of those typical emotional types that bring their feelings and emotions to work and the voting booth......just make the statement...."Hey!....can you believe someone just put a Confederate Battle Flag on the flag pole out front?"....and watch 'me torque off over it. It's pretty entertaining for a few minutes.

Rick

wouldn't it just be easier for you to have one of you kids get out the laser pointer to keep you entertained...or are you worried you might damage the furniture?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

I love Civil War history, both Union and Confederate. It's one of my favorite time periods to read about - I have biographies of basically all the important Generals from Grant and Lee to ones more off the beaten path like Beauregard and Pope. Ken Burns' series is just about my favorite documentary ever.

I'm sure you've read it already.... But if not http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2670445887900?r=1&kpid=2670445887900&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-TextBook_NotInStock_26To75-_-Q000000633-_-2670445887900 is a must.

Single greatest tactical mind in US History. Had it not been for the overzealousness of a few Norh Carolinians, American history would have been much longer tarnished by the cause Stonewall himself actually despised.

Lee was nothing compared to Jackson.

I'm sure you've read it already.... But if not http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2670445887900?r=1&kpid=2670445887900&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-TextBook_NotInStock_26To75-_-Q000000633-_-2670445887900 is a must.

Single greatest tactical mind in US History. Had it not been for the overzealousness of a few Norh Carolinians, American history would have been much longer tarnished by the cause Stonewall himself actually despised.

Seeing his jacket he wore at First Manassas while visiting VMI was pretty surreal. It looked as if it belonged to a Russian Ballerina (skinny skinny waist)

No doubting Jackson's proficiency, but I still think Grant would have whipped him too. While not the tactician of Lee or Jackson - he understood the one thing that no other northern general (or southern for that matter....if they'd really wanted to win the war the Confederacy should have fought more along the lines of Washington - avoid the big battle until you have a clear advantage and win smaller noteworthy ones for the morale effect) seemed to. If the south is willing to stand and fight you, and you have more men, just grind them down.

Attritional warfare sucks, but it's very effective. Grant is a bit unfairly regarded by a lot of military historians in my mind. He "got" what war is. It's not about winning that one great battle. It's about making your opponent sick of fighting altogether.

[quote name="Green P1"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The only way the south could have "won" was through making it such a bloody affair that Lincoln would have been defeated at the polls, which is possible if the Rebels had fought a different style (eg more guerilla style) of war. Lincoln would have held out to the bitter end, and he had the material advantage to do so.

The south was not defeating the north militarily given their lack of supplies and men. Washington DC was the most fortified city maybe in the history of the world. The Union would have thrown wave after wave of men at Lee, trapping him between the rock of DC's forts, if somehow the Army of Northern Virginia had gotten to the point where they were laying siege to the capital.

I don't care what kind of superior commanders you had. The North was winning that war.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only way the south could have "won" was through making it such a bloody affair that Lincoln would have been defeated at the polls, which is possible if the Rebels had fought a different style (eg more guerilla style) of war. Lincoln would have held out to the bitter end, and he had the material advantage to do so.

The south was not defeating the north militarily given their lack of supplies and men. Washington DC was the most fortified city maybe in the history of the world. The Union would have thrown wave after wave of men at Lee, trapping him between the rock of DC's forts, if somehow the Army of Northern Virginia had gotten to the point where they were laying siege to the capital.

I don't care what kind of superior commanders you had. The North was winning that war.

Grant was Phil Jackson if he'd never had to play the Pistons at full strength.

Yankee sympathizer! You do realize that Lee was only giving Grant his sword at Appomattox so he could polish it, right? Dumbass drunk kept it! :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes it is. Hood's regiment flew precisely the exact same thing outside of battle recognition letters and the star slightly tilted.WGleBLH.jpg

Rick

John Bell Hood. The namesake of Hood county Texas.

Hood County was formed in 1866 from portions of Johnson County. It was named after John Bell Hood,[3] a general of the Confederate Army and commander of Hood's Texas Brigade.

I wonder if THEY will change the name of the county because it's connected with the Confederacy.

Edited by NT91