MGB: 5 steps UNT needs to take to improve

Brett Vito

It's very hard to sugar coat the way things have been going around here. What would you like to see in terms of respect?

People are definitely very critical of our AD right now, and I think it is justified. If you or aniyone else comes in here to say "keep quiet, we'll handle this on the inside", of course it is not going to be welcomed. In an indirect way, it is implying one side is the boss and the other side should not have a voice. Why would that be respected?

Respect is a two-way street. It is not dependent upon what view one holds. A point sorely missed here on GMG.Com. People want folks to "respect" a person's view spewing venom, but have no interest in respecting a different view. It's the way of GMG.Com these hats. Your response is a case in point.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

Everyone wants the best for the university and that's the bottom line. We, as alum, should expect more from a results standpoint than what we are currently receiving and that too is the bottom line. From a pure results standpoint there is not a single person that in my mind has a "safe" job other than McCarney. And that job should (probably won't be) put under the microscope this upcoming season. I understand that RV has done some nice things at UNT and I commend him for that for he has devoted a large portion of his working life to us. However, he works in a results driven field, on and off the field, and on the field/court his results talk and they talk very, very loud. They just need to start talking to the right people because apparently they are not. We understand that RV has devoted a good amount of his time to some donors (as he should), but remember that is a part of his job and once he chooses to leave or he is pushed out that "friendship" will cease to exist because it is one of business. Basically what I'm trying to say is that RV has done a good job in some areas and I think most if not all can agree with that. BUT, he isn't producing at the rate we need an athletics program to produce on the field/court and that shouldn't even be held in question, even by fly. Like all workers of society each have their pros and cons, but I sincerely with respect think that his cons are starting to far outweigh his pros and that's a significant problem that needs serious attention.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 11 months later...
On March 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean, at least McCarney takes care of those cupcakes. We lose to UA-Huntsville (neutral floor), PVA&M (@ home), etc...

Hindsight is a B.

(not a shot at you, just interesting how some things can change in a year)

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Honestly, i think we just don't have the money to buy out his contract... even a years worth. We just don't have the funds... because, north texas.

I think firing Danny Mac proved this wrong.

When things get bad enough, a will and a way emerge.  We just have some strange minds at the top of our AD chain.

What kind of sad irony would it be if Benford suffers the worst loss in college bball history next year and finally gets canned.  That would fit us UNT perfectly.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think firing Danny Mac proved this wrong.

When things get bad enough, a will and a way emerge.  We just have some strange minds at the top of our AD chain.

What kind of sad irony would it be if Benford suffers the worst loss in college bball history next year and finally gets canned.  That would fit us UNT perfectly.

I think the firing of Danny Mac only means we have that less money to work with.  It is because of Danny Mac, we can't get rid of Tony Ben.

16 hours ago, Travis said:

I think the firing of Danny Mac only means we have that less money to work with.  It is because of Danny Mac, we can't get rid of Tony Ben.

Look, the DMac firing was funded almost completely by the UNT 17. The university probably had some cost with it, too, but when you combine that cost with the buyout of Mike Petersen, which was all on the university's dime, presumably, that is just too much to the BOR to deal with to also buyout $32k for Benford's buyout. Because, GSP!!, HORRORS!!, we would possibly be out of the allocated budget for athletics--those pesky "known" costs we run our university by...

UNT'd

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IF Benford is coming back, that suggests one of two scenarios:

A. The school just doesn't have the money for a buyout.  Having to only eat the final year of a contract is the ideal situation for a buyout, so if we have been left so financially insolvent by previous missteps that we can't even buyout a mediocre salary (relatively speaking) at the cheapest time, then that is a reflection of TERRIBLE financial planning by the AD.  For the record, I don't think that this is the case.

B.  The AD truly believes that Benford, despite all evidence to the contrary, is going to be awesome next year with a loaded roster and then miraculously reload that roster for the start of his new extension years.  If this is the belief, then it is a reflection of TERRIBLE judgment by the AD.

All I want is for a decision to be made by the end of the day today and for a thorough explanation via press conference.  Despite being wrong about this the last couple years, I do still believe that this time they will get it right and see that there isn't much of a path forward with Benford (to borrow an expression from the presidential primaries).

• Upvote 1