In 2012

UNT90

FirefightnRick

As I stated earlier, JJ was ripped throughout years 4 & 5 on this board. (I don't think UNT90 was around posting) I can not copy and paste for some reason, otherwise I would have. I got tired of reading all the posts but you can find some of the so called bullshit under the following threads:

Is JJ the Guy? (Green Flag) Started 3/27/2004

JJ interested in ULL Job ((Mean Green61) Started 4/21/2004

Pathetic Game tonight (SUMG) Started 2/10/05

How long are the coaches (Wife2Hot4U) Started 2/11/05

UNT has lost 6 of 12 by an average (Eulesseagle) 2/22/05

NT Basketball (UNTPlaymaker) 3/5/2005

Come on guys, it wasn't that bad (Stebo) Started 2/2/2005

UNT leads nations in turnovers - Started 2/4/2005

These threads continued well into 2006. I also posted a thread started by SUMG about a month ago (originally from Feb. 2006) that basically stated that it was time for him to go. Some suggested that they couldn't believe he receive an extension after his 3rd year.

A general consensus was that folks liked JJ (although they were disappointed with his performance around year 4) Others, unlike myself, felt that he deserved a shot to turn things around after being here 5 years The dominate reason being that he was better than Vic Trilli. My only point is what is the difference in his situation and Benford? Again, take away the constant 24/7 rants of UNT90 today and they would be identical.

• Upvote 3

My only point is what is the difference in his situation and Benford? Again, take away the constant 24/7 rants of UNT90 today and they would be identical.

Cooley, the difference is that one guy took over a program that had a foundation of quality talent in place and a 6 year run of sustained success, and screwed it up. The other took over a program that was brought about as low as this school has ever been in this sport, and made them winners (something Benford has yet to achieve) in his first year.

There is nothing identical about their circumstances, and there certainly isn't anything identical about their results.

JJ had to rebuild something, Benford couldn't even manage to sustain (to say nothing of exceeding the level of success he inherited). JJ succeeded, year one, and took another 4 years to make the next leap up. Benford failed miserably, and has yet to even achieve after three full seasons what JJ did in his first year (above .500 overall and/or in conference).

Factor in the off-court baggage Benford has brought or created, and I can't fathom how you see the two guys as comparable in any way, at least not with regard to having a 4-5 year runway to satisfy the fans. I'll give the next guy 5 years, because he'll be rebuilding a disaster. But Benford? He dug his own damn hole, and that doesn't entitle him to one or two or four more years to try and climb out of it.

EDIT: The next guy doesn't automatically get 5... If they pull any off-court crap like what REALLY bothers me about Benford, then we ought to fire them for cause.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

FirefightnRick

As I stated earlier, JJ was ripped throughout years 4 & 5 on this board. (I don't think UNT90 was around posting) I can not copy and paste for some reason, otherwise I would have. I got tired of reading all the posts but you can find some of the so called bullshit under the following threads:

Is JJ the Guy? (Green Flag) Started 3/27/2004

JJ interested in ULL Job ((Mean Green61) Started 4/21/2004

Pathetic Game tonight (SUMG) Started 2/10/05

How long are the coaches (Wife2Hot4U) Started 2/11/05

UNT has lost 6 of 12 by an average (Eulesseagle) 2/22/05

NT Basketball (UNTPlaymaker) 3/5/2005

Come on guys, it wasn't that bad (Stebo) Started 2/2/2005

UNT leads nations in turnovers - Started 2/4/2005

These threads continued well into 2006. I also posted a thread started by SUMG about a month ago (originally from Feb. 2006) that basically stated that it was time for him to go. Some suggested that they couldn't believe he receive an extension after his 3rd year.

A general consensus was that folks liked JJ (although they were disappointed with his performance around year 4) Others, unlike myself, felt that he deserved a shot to turn things around after being here 5 years The dominate reason being that he was better than Vic Trilli. My only point is what is the difference in his situation and Benford? Again, take away the constant 24/7 rants of UNT90 today and they would be identical.

You cannot be serious with this post. It makes me wonder if you have developed a friendship with Benford at AAU games, because you are way too basketball smart to post something as silly as this.

Benford was handed a Jaguar which he IMMEDIATELY turned into a jalopy. JJ was handed a jalopy which took 10 hard fought years to turn into a Jaguar.

Did I mention the the destruction under Benford was immediate and devastating? And now you want to give him JJ time to rebuild what he destroyed?

Mindboggling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

FirefightnRick

As I stated earlier, JJ was ripped throughout years 4 & 5 on this board.

I didn't read past this cause you said year 3, which is still rediculous to claim that this fan base,... especially those not predicting hurricane patterns in Denton Texas, was calling for JJ's head.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Basketball has been deconstructed.

I'll keep saying it until something is done about it.

So you are ok casting blame on every player the first 2 years as being cancers (cause when you say it in the vaugue manner that RV said it, that is exactly what you are doing)?

Surprised by that. Also surprised that you want Benford to be here the full 5 years, no matter what happens next season. That really makes no sense, since he wouldn't be able to recruit without an extension after next year.

I would think you would want what is best for the program.

Weird.

We should try this approach: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2015/3/17/8240159/utep-miner-athletics-uses-twitter-to-put-down-their-own-player

Brown's total annual compensation is 2.8 million. (apples/oranges to UNT) He was also SMU's 4th or 5th option after others turned them down. 3 years after JJ had been here there were multiple calls for his head. Benford will be here for the next 2 years. Please get over it! This one man campaign to fire the coach and AD with over 5 posts per thread has long been old. Give us all a break.

I'm not a Benford supporter but with the constant bitching, I'm hoping the guy sticks around much longer just to piss folks off more. Please RV and President Smatresk, let the man finish the job he was hired to do. No one is asking for a 5 year extension like we gave our losing football coach after 3. Of course, all the experts (and record on the field) indicates that he can't recruit. The football program is a bigger disappointment relative to the money devoted to it (facilities, salaries etc).

This is where we are folks...alums who would rather keep people in their current roles just to spite posters on a message board even as they continue to f up our program. No wonder Tina Slinker coached here for 17 years with a horrendous record. No wonder RV will be the AD here until he wants to retire in the next decade or two.

Awesome athletics program you are demanding there. The BOR must love your train of thought.

• Upvote 1