UH BOR chair has nuts... really stupid though.

MeanGreenTexan

And what the hell prestige does UT or ATM hold in terms of consistently winning? ATM has been a nobody in the grand scheme of things for a long time. UT was consistently good vs consistently bad teams for a long time. Mack Brown won what?...2 Big12 championship there...TWO!! IN 16 years no less. This stigma of these programs being the program to model?? No, not really...not really at all. They are the program to model in terms of donors...if we or any program in the country had their donors we would be sitting at the P5 table along time ago. As far as ATM goes...ONE big12 championship in 1998.

These notion that these 2 programs are the leaders of this state is absolutely moronic. They are the leaders in this state in $. In the grand scheme of things they haven't even been notable in their own conference when it comes to being a dominating program within. People need to see this and understand it. They are NOT what they are made out to be, they just aren't.

I got a -1 for this post on a North Texas sports forum...I think you, whoever you are, are on the wrong teams site. Go take your fake ass UNT gear off and go become a never ending compilation of UT/ATM t-shirt fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

If you're angry about the level of competition and lack of quality of wins in the former Big XII, one can only imagine how much you must hate the current version, which is decidedly inferior in every measurable category.

The reality is, there aren't any stand-out programs that "run the state" right now. Sure, TCU and Baylor have won some games in what is a decidedly diluted Big XII. But it hasn't translated to national championships and it hasn't changed perceptions on the whole. Texas and A&M are still *the* destination for the state's highest-rated recruits that decide to stay and play in-state. This isn't subjective; you can look it up. Texas went 6-7 and pulled a Top-Ten recruiting class. A&M went 8-5 and did about the same. Baylor and TCU had banner seasons and weren't even in the Top 35.

I'm not saying it matters (though almost every program that's won a national title in the past decade has had top-ten recruiting classes the previous few years), I'm just saying, it's mostly wishful thinking to say that those programs aren't still viewed as the state's premiere programs -- as much as we'd all like to think otherwise.

Also, the fact that Texas is the second-winningest program of all time (in number, 8th as a percentage) might have something to do with their perception. If you're keeping score at home, A&M is 23rd.

I am not questioning they are not *the* destination university for recruits I am questioning the product for their praise...that is all. 4 Big 12 championships in a combined 35 years in the Big 12. 4/35. FOUR out of THIRTY-FIVE. So, it's quite apparent they don't have consistent success within their own conference let alone nationally.

**It's going to be a long time before ATM sniffs a SEC title, long time.

So, their product isn't the reasoning for being *the* destination. North Texas needs to do whatever they can do to figure out what the reason is and try to mirror it. We already have the not being a consistent contender in our own conference down pat....now....on a serious note what's next??

If I'm Prez S at the end of this bball season I am sitting down with RV (if I don't already fire him) and telling him to pull out a pen and pad and write down every word I say...

Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I am not questioning they are not *the* destination university for recruits I am questioning the product for their praise...that is all. 4 Big 12 championships in a combined 35 years in the Big 12. 4/35. FOUR out of THIRTY-FIVE. So, it's quite apparent they don't have consistent success within their own conference let alone nationally.

**It's going to be a long time before ATM sniffs a SEC title, long time.

So, their product isn't the reasoning for being *the* destination. North Texas needs to do whatever they can do to figure out what the reason is and try to mirror it. We already have the not being a consistent contender in our own conference down pat....now....on a serious note what's next??

If I'm Prez S at the end of this bball season I am sitting down with RV (if I don't already fire him) and telling him to pull out a pen and pad and write down every word I say...

Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market. Market.

I think most of your argument(s) make more sense if you're talking specifically about A&M, looking only at the numbers over the past 15 years. Which is not to say that I think your arguments make a lot of sense. Just that they seem to make more sense with respects to A&M than others, as the Aggies have done less with more money than almost any program I can think of. But again I am still not sure what you're so mad about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm from Houston, Fertitta certainly has cash, but his words are not really true. Houston is a fine university but not a might force he makes them out to be. You may not like this, but Houston is very similar to North Texas. Both are very large public universities in the two largest cities in Texas, and have similar public university rankings.

The only way Fertitta could get Houston in the Big12, is if he opened his checkbook and bought them a spot.

Link to where I can find these similar public rankings?

UNT is decades away from even receiving NRUF funding.

Only thing similar about the two universities are they both located in Texas.

Link to where I can find these similar public rankings?

UNT is decades away from even receiving NRUF funding.

Only thing similar about the two universities are they both located in Texas.

Here you go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/02/12/2015-rankings-of-u-s-public-colleges.html?page=all

#136 Houston

#146 North Texas

The rankings look similar to me.

• Upvote 1

same person. And who cares. Not me, that's who.

• Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
Members who participate in any of this can be subject to losing their posting privledges [sic] and their account will be terminated.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

• Upvote 2

I don't have the time for a vacation. And when I do or if I do, I spend that time not wanting to go anywhere, like a vacation. Pretty vicious cycle...I think it's called work/school/husband/family induced laziness.

But at least you have sufficient time to post antagonistic idiocy under two different accounts on a fan board. Sounds like you're living the dream.

• Upvote 3

Here you go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/02/12/2015-rankings-of-u-s-public-colleges.html?page=all

#136 Houston

#146 North Texas

The rankings look similar to me.

Rankings in general are nonsensical but they are part of our modern landscape of higher learning. Therefore we have to do what it takes to improve our situation. For UNT that means larger endowment, more money on research. With that said anyone arguing rankings that are over 50 is being an idiot. Quick heads up, no one is impressed you went to UNT OR UH.

Rankings in general are nonsensical but they are part of our modern landscape of higher learning. Therefore we have to do what it takes to improve our situation. For UNT that means larger endowment, more money on research. With that said anyone arguing rankings that are over 50 is being an idiot. Quick heads up, no one is impressed you went to UNT OR UH.

You need to go back and read my original post...

"Houston is a fine university but not a might(y) force he (Fertitta) makes them out to be. You may not like this, but Houston is very similar to North Texas. Both are very large public universities in the two largest cities in Texas, and have similar public university rankings."

I never claimed one institution was more impressive the average person. Having stated that... I am very proud of my degree from North Texas, and would make the exact same choice again. And, I'd put my skills up against any recent graduate from any university in the country.

• Upvote 1