DaMarcus Smith will not participate in spring practice

Harry

QB play will be improved. By how much? Thats the big question. Even at worst, if McNulty starts, we wont see games as bad as Greer vs Texas and la tech, and dajon vs UAB.

With average QB play last year, we beat UTSA and So miss. Just average. Even with all the holes on our team, average qb play gets us 6-6. Average QB play may even get us la tech or Rice to finish 7-5 and bowling.

This season may be similar. Im thinking average qb play can get us 6 wins. McNulty just needs to perform a little bit better than his UTSA, so miss, and Rice performances to get us to average. Just make 2 or 3 plays a game.

QB play will be improved. By how much? Thats the big question. Even at worst, if McNulty starts, we wont see games as bad as Greer vs Texas and la tech, and dajon vs UAB.

With average QB play last year, we beat UTSA and So miss. Just average. Even with all the holes on our team, average qb play gets us 6-6. Average QB play may even get us la tech or Rice to finish 7-5 and bowling.

This season may be similar. Im thinking average qb play can get us 6 wins. McNulty just needs to perform a little bit better than his UTSA, so miss, and Rice performances to get us to average. Just make 2 or 3 plays a game.

Last year, we had one of the easiest schedules in all of FBS. This coming year, we may have one of our most difficult schedules in years.

• Upvote 1

Not a surprise considering Greer is a Chico guy. (Meaning Chico recruited him.)

you heard Mac say in the press conference he doesn't want position coaches crying: "I don't have the players." Go out and get them. Well Chico did with Greer. He'd be hard pressed to do that and then say a guy who was suppose to come in and win the job couldn't.

not to mention Chico seems to be in the hole when it comes to his recruiting - seems several of "his guys" have been busts or haven't even shown. (Manu, Denucci, from Snow come right to mind but I feel like there are 3-4 more "impact"recruits of his that have been a wash.)

They are all chicos guys except McNulty. He hand picked means and berglund. Not sure about dajon, but im sure he recruited him. Mac isnt breaking down high school qbs.

Sad part is Macs guy was the better qb on the team. It was mismanaged and not evaluated properly. As bad as McNulty is, all spring reps, all preseason reps should have gone to him, and in hindsight, he should have been the day 1 starter. Could it have made a difference? Maybe against teams like UTSA and So Miss.

Holy crap ! Just when I got my hopes up again this bs about Damarcus Smith being a "no show" for spring practice blows up. Shouldn't someone have been monitoring Smith's transfer process. Sometimes we seem soooo inept !

I'm not sure who you're suggesting is inept here. Smith was due to graduate in December and be eligible to begin work with the team this spring, but he failed one of his classes and thus is ineligible until summer.

Holy crap ! Just when I got my hopes up again this bs about Damarcus Smith being a "no show" for spring practice blows up. Shouldn't someone have been monitoring Smith's transfer process. Sometimes we seem soooo inept !

Maybe not. Like Harry said, if Smith was a clean transfer, available for Spring ball, he would probably be at some P5 school right now. His lack of immediate eligibility for the Spring (combined with just two years of remaining eligibility) is probably the only reason a guy with that combination of measurables, tools, hype and production was obtainable for us.

It seems pretty obvious that Mac is already pre-empting any whining by Canales regarding available QBs. Canales has had several years to get a quality QB in here ready to take the reigns. Instead, a kid that probably started out more as a good gesture for his buddy, has turned into our starting QB out of necessity. Canales did not even recruit him.

I think the message regarding position coaches being responsible for the players they bring was aimed firmly at Canales, and with good reason. Canales cannot even get his guy here for Spring practice after an absolute cluster F at QB last season. How do you push all your chips in on a guy that cannot even qualify for a transfer for the Spring?

Un F'in believable. Mac better get this under control quickly before it spirals further out of control.

Mac knows he's got to right the direction of the program and the abysmal offensive production. It all starts at the QB position. Everyone knows what the current crop of QBs are capable of. I fully expect to see Smith under center come game 1. This isn't a Brock Berglund type scenario. Smith started and performed at a high level this season. Missing a little spring ball won't hurt him very much, IMO.

Edited by Got5onIt

I think you are overrating Smith's marketability

His marketability is determined by the market and if you see the link below, the market considered him better than Marcus Mariota, Johnny Football, Trevone Boykin and even Brock Berglund (LOL). All Smith has done since then is transfer from an FBS school and produce massive numbers at a JUCO. Unlike most of our other recruits and ALL of our other QBs, Smith had other options.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/LSU/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2648/0

Edited by MeanGreenZen

So, after reading through this thread and seeing the typical angst and "the sky is falling" folks I thought I'd mention something on the bright side that no one else bothered to even mention. Without Smith in Spring ball, it will open up time for young Master Caleb Chumley at the QB position to allow the coaches to evaluate him as a QB which may not have happened with Smith in the Spring Ball mix. Too many QB's to give time to and only so much time. But, now Chumley, who is already enrolled and taking classes at UNT gets a full shot at QB...I remind you this kid is 6-6 and weighs 245 and can run. Saw him at the signing day event....every bit of that 6-6, 245.

So now both Connor Means and Caleb Chumley will get plenty of opportunities to show what they are capable of in the QB position for UNT. Smith will be here in the fall...barring any unforeseen classroom struggles in the summer...and the final evaluations can be completed.

Seems pretty OK if you want to look at the positive side for a change. I can definitely confirm that there are folks in the athletic dept that are happy to see Chumley get a good look....the kid was promised one.

• Upvote 4

His marketability is determined by the market and if you see the link below, the market considered him better than Marcus Mariota, Johnny Football, Trevone Boykin and even Brock Berglund (LOL). All Smith has done since then is transfer from an FBS school and produce massive numbers at a JUCO. Unlike most of our other recruits and ALL of our other QBs, Smith had other options.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/LSU/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2648/0

That was coming out of high school. I didn't see him in the draft a la Johnny Football and we all know how BB ended up (not even starting for an FCS school).

I would be really excited if we were getting him straight from high school with him being ranked that high. We aren't. We are getting the Smith that has had and is still having qualifying issues and couldn't beat out a starting CUSA QB (albeit a very good one).

I'm happy he is here. If be more happy if he had taken care of business and would be able to participate in Spring practice. He didnt. For the second time.

I hope he wins the job, because if he doesn't we are in a world of hurt, but I by no means think he is a program savior.

I would be really excited if we were getting him straight from high school with him being ranked that high. We aren't. We are getting the Smith that has had and is still having qualifying issues and couldn't beat out a starting CUSA QB (albeit a very good one).

I'm happy he is here. If be more happy if he had taken care of business and would be able to participate in Spring practice. He didnt. For the second time.

That is my point. We don't get this kid without the warts.

So, after reading through this thread and seeing the typical angst and "the sky is falling" folks I thought I'd mention something on the bright side that no one else bothered to even mention. Without Smith in Spring ball, it will open up time for young Master Caleb Chumley at the QB position to allow the coaches to evaluate him as a QB which may not have happened with Smith in the Spring Ball mix. Too many QB's to give time to and only so much time. But, now Chumley, who is already enrolled and taking classes at UNT gets a full shot at QB...I remind you this kid is 6-6 and weighs 245 and can run. Saw him at the signing day event....every bit of that 6-6, 245.

So now both Connor Means and Caleb Chumley will get plenty of opportunities to show what they are capable of in the QB position for UNT. Smith will be here in the fall...barring any unforeseen classroom struggles in the summer...and the final evaluations can be completed.

Seems pretty OK if you want to look at the positive side for a change. I can definitely confirm that there are folks in the athletic dept that are happy to see Chumley get a good look....the kid was promised one.

Good point KRAM. Let's figure out who can play and put the others at other positions.

That is my point. We don't get this kid without the warts.

This kid was supposed to be a Spring qualifier and wasn't getting any P5 offers when it was thought that he would qualify, so yes, we would have gotten him if he had qualified.

If you want to say we wouldn't have gotten him out of high school, well, ok. But we didnt recruit him then.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1