Perhaps, just perhaps

Harry

I have a sneaking suspicion that Littrell and company would not have parted ways with DaMarcus had there not been another QB they had in their back pocket.  My guess would be this might be a preferred walk-on transfer who could even be enrolled at UNT now, making him eligible to participate in Spring training.  Or perhaps, this could be another graduate transfer type situation that shows up in the Fall.  I think it would be a player who has experience in the spread offense.

I just don't see them letting DaMarcus go without knowing they had other options.  I think this will become known soon.

According to his IG someone posted he's already back in Kentucky. If he's gone from not just the team, but also the university then this was most likely not just a decision that happened out of nowhere. If he enrolled this semester he would've had to drop his classes well after the drop date. If I had to guess, Littrell has known Smith wouldn't be a part of next year's team for a while.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Harry said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Littrell and company would not have parted ways with DaMarcus had there not been another QB they had in their back pocket.  My guess would be this might be a preferred walk-on transfer who could even be enrolled at UNT now, making him eligible to participate in Spring training.  Or perhaps, this could be another graduate transfer type situation that shows up in the Fall.  I think it would be a player who has experience in the spread offense.

I just don't see them letting DaMarcus go without knowing they had other options.  I think this will become known soon.

You may be right about someone walking-on this spring. That would be a logical thing to happen, especially with word getting around about the hiring of a "quarterback friendly" coach. My guess about Smith is that the coaching staff made the decision to ask him to move on after they assessed his "coachableness"......or the lack thereof.

If they still posted those off season workout progress sheets, that could be a source of info about anyone "interesting" who has joined the team this spring. Otherwise, when I go up there to watch practice I'll do a QB head count.

As of today the official roster shows, Morris (#5), Means (#7), Chumley (#15), and Shanbour (#19) as the QB's. Besides Smith missing from the roster, I also noticed that Cousins (formerly #13) is gone. Sam Wells (#11) who was switched to DB last year is still on the roster. He ought to be switched back and given a fair assessment as a QB. When Wells was part of the QB pack, I regarded him as a better prospect than Chumley. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Kevin Dillman has apparently lost 30 lbs already... Maybe he is trying to get ready to play receiver or maybe he will get a shot at qb... Time will tell. 

Yeah, that rules out them trying him at defensive end. Might rule out H-back as well. I'd think they'd want him more in the mid 230s if he were to play H-back.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Kevin Dillman has apparently lost 30 lbs already... Maybe he is trying to get ready to play receiver or maybe he will get a shot at qb... Time will tell. 

I've said this for a while. Dillman is very much the best QB prospect we have on the roster. Now, he will have a coach who actually knows how to run an offense with a throwing QB. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I've said this for a while. Dillman is very much the best QB prospect we have on the roster. Now, he will have a coach who actually knows how to run an offense with a throwing QB. 

He looks like a heck of an athlete, for sure. Looking forward to seeing what he can do

On 3/11/2016 at 2:23 PM, Harry said:

You know somethin, dontcha?

• Upvote 4

Published: January 17, 2013 Shanbour had a scholarship offer from Colorado, but that situation changed when coach Jon Embree was let go. Northwestern (La.) State offered him, and programs like East Carolina, Indiana and multiple Ivy League schools were showing interest.

Under Littrell’s guidance in 2013, Indiana set single-season records with 6,102 total yards, 508.5 yards per game, 461 points, 38.4 points per game, 36 passing touchdowns, 62 total touchdowns and 300 first downs.

I think our #2 to Morris has been in Denton awhile now. Smith was obviously vastly overrated. Talent can only take you so far and he didn't feel like he needed to work. It is best for all parties that he is gone. I'm looking forward to seeing what Shanbour can do in Littrell's offense.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

On March 10, 2016 at 0:23 PM, Harry said:

Absolutely agree on this Harry. The writing is on the wall. It'll be: Morris, Shanbour, Means, Fine, and "player TBD" (who is probably at another FBS program going through spring practice now...)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Would not be surprised if Nathan Elliott (Celina, UNC) ends up here.

Interesting take. He was recruited by Seth, and Keith Heckendorf at UNC. Close to home should he be homesick. Plus UNC replaced Seth at OC with their O-line coach. Heckendorf was moved to pass game coordinator from QB coach.  So how excited would you be as RS QB to go from Seth as OC to an O-line coach being the guy and your QB coach moving over? 

I like where your head is Marty. 

54 minutes ago, adman said:

Interesting take. He was recruited by Seth, and Keith Heckendorf at UNC. Close to home should he be homesick. Plus UNC replaced Seth at OC with their O-line coach. Heckendorf was moved to pass game coordinator from QB coach.  So how excited would you be as RS QB to go from Seth as OC to an O-line coach being the guy and your QB coach moving over? 

I like where your head is Marty. 

I think you might be over generalizing there. That's like saying "why would a QB want to play for a former fullback like Littrell?" Littrell runs an offense that doesn't even employ the type of player he himself was, or tight ends. O-line coach moving to OC doesn't necessarily mean more smash-mouth, less passing.

But I do think there's a good chance Elliott comes here at some point. If he's fourth on the depth chart at the end of spring for UNC,  behind the more heralded QB in his own class, then he may come sooner rather than later. Unfortunately it wouldn't help our QB situation for this year.

I think it is obvious that another QB will be added.  Someone with experience at the college level, this team is in dire need.   I don't think Littrell is going to depend on a true freshman, Dillman , Chumley or walk-ons. 

Hopefully, someone is already lined up, because finding a capable QB now is going to be next to impossible.  

It might be unfair but looking at Smith's social media did not convey that he was sufficiently dedicated to being a FBS level starting QB. So putting myself in Seth's position I don't think that DeMarus was a viable option.  I think he came to that conclusion shortly after talking to the staff and meeting DeMarcus.  I think it is foolishly optimistic to think that Seth has anything up his sleeve other than what is on the roster today for the 2016 season.  I think the QB position will be filled by what is on the roster today.   I am optimistic that Seth will be able to get production out Dillman, Means, or Chumley.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

MJ,  I had a psychology professor who disagreed with your signature line. He said that doing something over and over and expecting a different outcome was the definition of neurotic behavior. I don't know if that's true or not. Besides, remember that old saying that just about every parent says to their kids "if at first you don't succeed, try try again".  Were they encouraging us to act crazy?

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2016 at 8:36 PM, Cr1028 said:

I think our #2 to Morris has been in Denton awhile now. Smith was obviously vastly overrated. Talent can only take you so far and he didn't feel like he needed to work. It is best for all parties that he is gone. I'm looking forward to seeing what Shanbour can do in Littrell's offense.

It's certainly best for parties in Louisville, KY.

• Upvote 2