Paul Banks, CB, Navarro

Marty

Conference affiliation should not persuade kids, athletes or not, want to drive to and live in desolate Lubbock, Texas. Texas Tech has been and will always be a subpar, middle of the pack program that feeds off of their conference affiliation. But what I struggle to understand is how or what do non-athlete students gain from big12 affiliation? And in reality how do athletes benefit from going to Texas Tech. They are not a powerhouse in any sport and do not churn out players to the next level. A trend needs to be reset that individual teams are not it's conference powerhouses. Texas Tech is little brother to UT and ATM as TWU is little brother to UNT. The gap is that big and these students and also athletes need to realize that. And the gap between Tech and UNT is not even measurable in comparison to the gap between UT/ATM and Tech. People (students/athletes) need to start having wit and examining their futures before just running to a materialistic decision and acting like they're in Austin based on affiliation. This is nothing to do with Mr. Banks, but talking in general.

Its all about networking. Think what you want about Tech but they are a close knit alumi group and they support their own. There are over 3K people in my office complex and I would bet that TT alum make up the largest % of any other school. you think that might affect a hiring or promotion decision? It does.

• Upvote 1

Its all about networking. Think what you want about Tech but they are a close knit alumi group and they support their own. There are over 3K people in my office complex and I would bet that TT alum make up the largest % of any other school. you think that might affect a hiring or promotion decision? It does.

Sure it does, but in reality people take care of their own. If a UNT alum is a HR generalist and a UNT alum applies that HR rep is going to do what he/she can to get that individual hired. The "they take care of their own" argument is everywhere.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep. And as far as never being anything athletically, I wish UNT were a "nothing" #2 ranked football program like TTech was a couple of years ago.

Just because it didn't happen in your own personal college era doesn't make it any less impressive, Ben Gooding.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep. And as far as never being anything athletically, I wish UNT were a "nothing" #2 ranked football program like TTech was a couple of years ago. Just because it didn't happen in your own personal college era doesn't make it any less impressive, Ben Gooding.

Yeah, they had an out of nowhere really good year, but they are what they are. Even a broke clock is right twice a day.

And that was like 6 or 7 years ago, not a couple.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sure it does, but in reality people take care of their own. If a UNT alum is a HR generalist and a UNT alum applies that HR rep is going to do what he/she can to get that individual hired. The "they take care of their own" argument is everywhere.

You honestly think that someone that has no pride in their alma mater takes care of another alum as much as someone that is proud of their school? You don't have to answer because I will for you, No! Honestly, UNT is the only school I have heard alumni specifically say they were embarrassed by the school they attended You.will never hear a Tech graduate say that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, they had an out of nowhere really good year, but they are what they are. Even a broke clock is right twice a day.

And that was like 6 or 7 years ago, not a couple.

Really wish that broke clock analogy applied to UNT, don't you?

Wha is the highest we have ever been ranked? How long ago was

That?

6 or 7 tears ago IS a couple in the grand scheme of things, young Ben Gooding. Maybe as you get some years and wisdom behind you, you will learn that history is important, and is usually a very good predictor of future events.

Keep your mind open, very young Ben Gooding, and you will learn wonderful things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You honestly think that someone that has no pride in their alma mater takes care of another alum as much as someone that is proud of their school? You don't have to answer because I will for you, No! Honestly, UNT is the only school I have heard alumni specifically say they were embarrassed by the school they attended You.will never hear a Tech graduate say that.

It's also very common to here a UNT grad make fun of UNT athletics. They don't care because they were taught not to care while at UNT by the lack of effort and funding UNT puts toward athletics, leading to crappy on field and court performance that they learned to make fun of as a sort of defense mechanism.

Really wish that broke clock analogy applied to UNT, don't you?

Wha is the highest we have ever been ranked? How long ago was

That?

6 or 7 tears ago IS a couple in the grand scheme of things, young Ben Gooding. Maybe as you get some years and wisdom behind you, you will learn that history is important, and is usually a very good predictor of future events.

Keep your mind open, very young Ben Gooding, and you will learn wonderful things.

History? In Lubbock? In what? They have been in the big12 for 20 years and 0 conference championships, 0. They're one "magical" season (rare air in Lubbock) that you're referring to they didn't even win their division outright let alone the conference. They have been feeding off of affiliation forever. So athletes and/or students should flock to that hazmat looking town bc their administrators put effort into trying to be somebody harder than UNT has? Trying to be somebody and given a high chair to the table is their saving grace, that's it. Is it a high chair that I wish UNT could have? Sure. But people getting foggy perceptions instilled in them that are superficial and borderline bullshit is something that wouldn't make me personally flock out there.
  • Downvote 1

See ya later Mister Banks. Have fun riding the pine out there in the desert!

No offense Coach Davis, but I don't care for these kind of comments.

They insinuate that no North Texas player would ever be good enough to suit up for a P5 team. That's especially demeaning when insinuating it about a bottom half P5 team such as Tech. Would Lance Dunbar, Brelan Chancellor, Zach Orr, etc. have ridden the pine at any other school besides North Texas?

They come across as sour grapes. Each kid and his family have to choose what is best for their situation. If they decide Texas Tech is best for their situation, even if they're wrong, let them make their decision and wish them well.

• Upvote 3

No offense Coach Davis, but I don't care for these kind of comments.

They insinuate that no North Texas player would ever be good enough to suit up for a P5 team. That's especially demeaning when insinuating it about a bottom half P5 team such as Tech. Would Lance Dunbar, Brelan Chancellor, Zach Orr, etc. have ridden the pine at any other school besides North Texas?

They come across as sour grapes. Each kid and his family have to choose what is best for their situation. If they decide Texas Tech is best for their situation, even if they're wrong, let them make their decision and wish them well.

Going to Lubbuttocks is ALWAYS the wrong decision.

Other than that I agree with everything you said.

• Upvote 1