Chad Morris to SMU?!?!?!

tmjerm

All signs point to Mack Brown. This article was from Chuck Carlton 5 days ago and Brown admitted he's been contacted by SMU...

Former Texas coach Mack Brown contacted by SMU representatives

The man wants to coach again and he's made that very clear. He wants to fuffill his TV contract with ESPN this year.

Clearly he is interested or he would be saying something else. Clearly SMU is interested because they have approached him.

SMU had a great experience with the Larry Brown hire so they might do the same thing for Brown. The guy is a legend in the state of Texas and SMU has the money to hire some very good assistants.

From a coverage standpoint, that won't be good for UNT.

Can you imagine the slobbering that will be going on at the DMN and other local media outlets.

If we're buried 6ft down now in media coverage it will be 25ft should Mack Brown go to SMU.

Not when we, year in and year out, beat the crap out of them.

• Upvote 3

Since the moment SMU fired Jones, I've thought this made too much sense to not happen. It's low risk, high reward for SMU. And if nothing else for Brown, he gets to coach again and make a couple mill per doing so, in the territory with which he is already familiar.

Edited by Eagle1855

All signs point to Mack Brown. This article was from Chuck Carlton 5 days ago and Brown admitted he's been contacted by SMU...

Former Texas coach Mack Brown contacted by SMU representatives

The man wants to coach again and he's made that very clear. He wants to fuffill his TV contract with ESPN this year.

Clearly he is interested or he would be saying something else. Clearly SMU is interested because they have approached him.

SMU had a great experience with the Larry Brown hire so they might do the same thing for Brown. The guy is a legend in the state of Texas and SMU has the money to hire some very good assistants.

If I were Mack, I would probably go somewhere that wouldn't ruin me.

• Upvote 2

If I were Mack, I would probably go somewhere that wouldn't ruin me.

Hard to take much more shine off the legacy than those last couple years and inglorious exit at Texas. But point taken all the same.

I can't imagine any other Texas school hiring him. And I don't imagine he'd want to start over elsewhere, learning an entirely new territory, making new coaching contacts, etc, this late in life. His legacy is really within the state of Texas. It might be the perfect fit for him if he wishes to continue coaching. Which is too bad, because I happen to like the guy, and happen to think very little of SMU.

yeah the only thing that doesn't make sense in the equation is will it hurt Mack's legacy....it would be a grotesque media storm, the money fits, we'd take a back seat, all of that....but does Mack really want to take that risk? It's proven to be a tough place to win. At his age and coming off the unceremonious dismount at Texas, I feel like he'd want a different type of opportunity.

That being said they went to 4 bowls in 5 yrs...they've had good players and good teams and it won't take much to push them over the edge, especially with them dolla$...I just really don't want this because of what it means for us.

Every recruiting visit will go a little something like this...

Recruit's Mom: Honey, Mack Brown is here to see you

Recruit: Awesome! Wait, why are you wearing an SMU shirt?

Mack: I'm the coach at SMU now

Recruit: I'm kinda in the middle of playing a game of Madden. It was nice meeting you though.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...