Medical Redshirts

Mean Green 93-98

Several recent threads have talked about the importance of winning soon. Before this season, many had noted that the team was built to win this year. However, the season-ending injuries changed that quickly. One thing that will make a big difference is how many of those injuries we are able to turn into medical redshirts, so that we can get another year of eligibility out of them. There are a few that I can think of:

• Nathan Tune. This may be a longshot, because it would give him a 6th year of eligibility. And I don't know if he'd even be interested to go through all that with no assurance that he would be the starter. But he would have to be the frontrunner, IMO.

• Derek Thompson. He'll be back next year, whether or not he gets a med RS. But assuming that he and Riley will be our main QBs the next couple of years, it would be nice to put a year of separation between the two so we don't lose them both at the same time.

• Steven Ford. He was our best coverage DB in fall camp and the early season by a long shot. I would really like to get two more years out of him rather than one.

• J.J. Johnson. Again, not a senior that we will lose either way, but it would be great to get two more years out of him.

• Nick Leppo. He performed pretty well at center when J.J. went down. He should be a candidate for a med RS.

• Benny Jones. Had the potential to be a star at WR this year before he went down. It would take a med RS to bring him back next year.

Thoughts? Who did I miss?

Several recent threads have talked about the importance of winning soon. Before this season, many had noted that the team was built to win this year. However, the season-ending injuries changed that quickly. One thing that will make a big difference is how many of those injuries we are able to turn into medical redshirts, so that we can get another year of eligibility out of them. There are a few that I can think of:

• Nathan Tune. This may be a longshot, because it would give him a 6th year of eligibility. And I don't know if he'd even be interested to go through all that with no assurance that he would be the starter. But he would have to be the frontrunner, IMO.

• Derek Thompson. He'll be back next year, whether or not he gets a med RS. But assuming that he and Riley will be our main QBs the next couple of years, it would be nice to put a year of separation between the two so we don't lose them both at the same time.

• Steven Ford. He was our best coverage DB in fall camp and the early season by a long shot. I would really like to get two more years out of him rather than one.

• J.J. Johnson. Again, not a senior that we will lose either way, but it would be great to get two more years out of him.

• Nick Leppo. He performed pretty well at center when J.J. went down. He should be a candidate for a med RS.

• Benny Jones. Had the potential to be a star at WR this year before he went down. It would take a med RS to bring him back next year.

James Hamilton

I don't recall hearing Nathan's name being called among the seniors on Saturday. I'm wondering if he's pursuing the red shirt.

I heard Saturday he was pursuing. I hope he does I like Nathan in the mix.

Agreed. This presents quite the dilemma though in that who do you start next year? If ground and pound is the MO of DMac he might likely choose Riley. If that is the case...will Nathan stick around to be a backup? Either way...if we could have Riley, Nathan, Derek, Chase and Tea.....I like our odds.

Agreed. This presents quite the dilemma though in that who do you start next year? If ground and pound is the MO of DMac he might likely choose Riley. If that is the case...will Nathan stick around to be a backup? Either way...if we could have Riley, Nathan, Derek, Chase and Tea.....I like our odds.

Yeah you never know, I bet it would be interesting to play for a guy like DanMac. Does Riley want to be starting QB? I don't know.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

No delimma. Riley goes back to ths slot. While he was gritty when pressed into service this year, but he doesn't have the arm strength to play the position. When is th last time you saw him throw the ball further than 15 yards downfield?

If Tune comes back, we will see Thompson, tune, and probably a JUCO recruit battle it out for the job

RV's Secretary has my wallet locked up in her desk. I requested that it not be used tonight (can't pick it up till tomorrow) to bring out DMac and his wife to the Pourhouse.

Seriously did they find your wallet that would be really cool.

• Upvote 1

Well...someone did. I sat next to 90 after you left...maybe he knows a little something about it....hmmmmmmm :ph34r: JK

Just dont check your credit card balances ;)

It sucks losing your wallet. I didn't see it where we were sitting. A lesson I have learned is always check your jacket pockets.

The nice TD pass to Stradford in the endzone with 5 minutes left against Troy looked to be well over 40 yards in the air. Kind of surprised me.

I did miss the Troy game, so I cant really comment on that throw. I did see one woeful shot downfield against ULM that came up about 10 yards short of the receiver and looked like a wounded duck. I've also noticed that the passing game has been designed for almost nothing over 20 yards since Riley took back over (which is good coaching by Canales).

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a great weapon to play at QB about 5-10 plays a game, and a great slot receiver, but you got to have a longball threat to loosen up those defenses.