Schedule notes

NT03

From other colleges, for sure. From us, hopefully.

We will definitely be a shorter team but hopefully athleticism and hustle makes up for that. We will be loaded at the guard Osiris. But hopefully that is a good thing. I think we have pretty much replaced everyone but Alzee with someone who is just as capable. Brooks will not replace Alzee, but he can still fill it up. I just hope Voss or Armani do not go down because then it could be a long season.

Is Brooks better then Ward?

And is there a chance we get Brooks on ship and Bacoom to walk on?

• Upvote 1

We will definitely be a shorter team but hopefully athleticism and hustle makes up for that. We will be loaded at the guard Osiris. But hopefully that is a good thing. I think we have pretty much replaced everyone but Alzee with someone who is just as capable. Brooks will not replace Alzee, but he can still fill it up. I just hope Voss or Armani do not go down because then it could be a long season.

Is Brooks better then Ward?

And is there a chance we get Brooks on ship and Bacoom to walk on?

Yeah, Alzee's production will be the hard one to replace. Losing Voss shouldn't make for a long season. It would hurt, but he doesn't bring anything irreplaceable. Solid production, which shouldn't be taken lightly, but he doesn't have anything Combs, Ahmed, Wesley, and Jordan Williams don't.

As for Armani, if Combs, Wesley, and Ahmed aren't relegating Armani to the bench anyways then we could be in trouble. Even if Armani's improved.

Ward and Brooks are different kinds of guards from what I've seen, although both are 6'2". Ward is more of a legit combo guard, who can score from the outside and handle the ball. I could see him beating out Eaglin for the backup point guard spot, but his primary position is 2 guard, where he's undersized. Brooks is a finisher. He'll be deadly in transition. I think Ward may be a better shooter, but Brooks can get in the paint and finish.

Chris Jones leading the break with finishers like Wesley, Combs, Ahmed, Jordan Williams, and Brooks could be extremely entertaining. If we struggle to score in the half court like we have under Benford, might as well try and get out and run as much as possible.

Edited by BillySee58

Of course all that above is assuming we can get stops on defense and get in transition and not slow it down. I'm hoping Benford is look at this over the break and is better prepared next season to have a team this potent in transition. I am thinking voss because who is going to cover the 7 footers from UTEP and other bigs. That was a huge mismatch when we played UTEP.

• Upvote 1

Of course all that above is assuming we can get stops on defense and get in transition and not slow it down. I'm hoping Benford is look at this over the break and is better prepared next season to have a team this potent in transition. I am thinking voss because who is going to cover the 7 footers from UTEP and other bigs. That was a huge mismatch when we played UTEP.

I don't see how Voss is really that much more adept to cover those guys. He's thicker, but he's still giving up just as many inches as Greg Wesley, Combs, Ahmed, or Jordan Williams would. Not to mention those guys are more athletic than Voss is, including Ahmed who is about the same size. Plus, Voss hasn't been the best post defender in the past.

Playing against 6'9"+ guys will be a mismatch all year. If our guys are going to give up points in the paint, then they need to be able to make up for it. Our posts need to be able to still put up a fight rebounding, and be able to stretch the other teams posts out of the paint on offense. Wesley has the skill to take big guys off the bounce and stretch them out to the 3-point line. Same with Ahmed and Jordan if he's playing the post. Combs needs his mid-range game to be consistent as well.

Not trying to downplay Voss' significance, he just isn't the make or break player that CJ or Jordan is to this team. Those are the guys you need to worry about going down.

Edited by BillySee58

I don't see how Voss is really that much more adept to cover those guys. He's thicker, but he's still giving up just as many inches as Greg Wesley, Combs, Ahmed, or Jordan Williams would. Not to mention those guys are more athletic than Voss is, including Ahmed who is about the same size. Plus, Voss hasn't been the best post defender in the past.

Playing against 6'9"+ guys will be a mismatch all year. If our guys are going to give up points in the paint, then they need to be able to make up for it. Our posts need to be able to still put up a fight rebounding, and be able to stretch the other teams posts out of the paint on offense. Wesley has the skill to take big guys off the bounce and stretch them out to the 3-point line. Same with Ahmed and Jordan if he's playing the post. Combs needs his mid-range game to be consistent as well.

Not trying to downplay Voss' significance, he just isn't the make or break player that CJ or Jordan is to this team. Those are the guys you need to worry about going down.

Do you really think Wesley and combs will get a lot of minutes this season? I have not seen them play lately and obviously we won't know until practice starts but I do not see them making an impact this season. Next season I think is their year. I also would want to stay away from Jordan at the 4. To me we need voss because we will have very little post play. Most of our guys are 3s first and then 4s. No true center. Just watching out for mismatches. In them open court though they should be great.

This true though CJ and Jordan can be red shirted. Idk if Voss can. We are also super deep at the guard spot. But weak in the post. As of now at least.

• Upvote 1

Do you really think Wesley and combs will get a lot of minutes this season? I have not seen them play lately and obviously we won't know until practice starts but I do not see them making an impact this season. Next season I think is their year. I also would want to stay away from Jordan at the 4. To me we need voss because we will have very little post play. Most of our guys are 3s first and then 4s. No true center. Just watching out for mismatches. In them open court though they should be great.

This true though CJ and Jordan can be red shirted. Idk if Voss can. We are also super deep at the guard spot. But weak in the post. As of now at least.

If Wesley and Combs don't see significant playing time, it means bad things for next season.

Very bad.

Edited by UNT90

It depends what kind of impact you're talking about. I think they'll see more minutes than Armani, but I don't see them starting. Maybe Wesley could if he's gained some consistency. He had offers from schools like Arkansas, Ok State, and K State because he has the skill set. Watching him play a game you can tell he hasn't developed his skills. But they are there.

Watch these highlights. He's got a quick release, good shot, and can handle the ball. Not to mention great athleticism. Watch these highlights at 0:26, 0:46, 0:55, and 1:41. http://ballislife.com/greg-wesley-ballislife-mix/ Those are moves he is capable of that can set him apart from others. He just has to be able to fine tune those and do them with consistency.

I don't think Combs and Wesley will have many offensive plays run through them. But they will be able to see the court and do what they do best, bringing some intangibles we lacked last year. Rebound (Combs), hustle (both), use their length and athleticism (both), and score some baskets that make you say "damn," (Wesley).

As for Jordan, I really like the idea of playing him at the 4 every once in a while. He was our leading rebounder, so it's not like he's a major liability down there or anything. I do not like the idea of playing a post just to play a post, like Bocoum or Armani. Plus, that would also put 4 guards on the floor.

Let our guard play be our strength instead of trying to cover it up at the last minute with guys like Gaines or Bocoum.

Edited by BillySee58

If Wesley and Combs don't see significant playing time, it means bad things for next season.

Very bad.

Yup, and beyond. We're getting some guys who could be good role players, but we need some guys to prove they can score the ball and have the offense run through them. Our top 3 scorers were JJ guys last year, and we only had 4 JJ guys on the team. Next year is the last year with JJ guys.

The highest average points/game a Benford recruit has put up was 7.3 by Vaughns, and he was a 5th year senior transfer. His recruits need to pick that up this year. That is one of the main things I'm focusing on this year. Scoring the basketball.

It depends what kind of impact you're talking about. I think they'll see more minutes than Armani, but I don't see them starting. Maybe Wesley could if he's gained some consistency. He had offers from schools like Arkansas, Ok State, and K State because he has the skill set. Watching him play a game you can tell he hasn't developed his skills. But they are there.

Watch these highlights. He's got a quick release, good shot, and can handle the ball. Not to mention great athleticism. Watch these highlights at 0:26, 0:46, 0:55, and 1:41. http://ballislife.com/greg-wesley-ballislife-mix/ Those are moves he is capable of that can set him apart from others. He just has to be able to fine tune those and do them with consistency.

I don't think Combs and Wesley will have many offensive plays run through them. But they will be able to see the court and do what they do best, bringing some intangibles we lacked last year. Rebound (Combs), hustle (both), use their length and athleticism (both), and score some baskets that make you say "damn," (Wesley).

As for Jordan, I really like the idea of playing him at the 4 every once in a while. He was our leading rebounder, so it's not like he's a major liability down there or anything. I do not like the idea of playing a post just to play a post, like Bocoum or Armani. Plus, that would also put 4 guards on the floor.

Let our guard play be our strength instead of trying to cover it up at the last minute with guys like Gaines or Bocoum.

Combs is a go to player. He'll just be too thin and short to be effective down low in college. Did not improve at all his outside game this past year. He's very good receiving the ball 10 feet out from the basket and driving on bigger guys though. Don't see Jordan playing the 4 at all (No reason to) If his team is not running and gunning, Wesley doesn't help. If we are, he would be great.

Combs is a go to player. He'll just be too thin and short to be effective down low in college. Did not improve at all his outside game this past year. He's very good receiving the ball 10 feet out from the basket and driving on bigger guys though. Don't see Jordan playing the 4 at all (No reason to) If his team is not running and gunning, Wesley doesn't help. If we are, he would be great.

Well, great news! We brought in Scott Monarch and his uptempo offense!

Which is why Combs doesn't project to a go-to guy in college, IMO. At least not right away.

The reason to play Jordan at the 4 would be to put 4 guards on the floor and try and out score the other team. What 5 would you rather have on the floor: Chris Jones, 2 of Brooks/Aniefiok/Taylor, Jordan Williams, and Colin Voss - or Jones, Brooks, Williams, Flannigan, and Voss?

Which lineup is better offensively? Clearly the 1st one. Which is better defensively? No clear cut better defensive lineup between those two IMO.

Ahmed, Wesley, and Combs are vital to this team's success. Hopefully they make it to where we don't need Jordan to play the 4. But on a team that is already small, whether you put a true post at the 4 or not, may as well use Jordan's height and rebounding to your advantage.

• Upvote 1

Which is why Combs doesn't project to a go-to guy in college, IMO. At least not right away.

The reason to play Jordan at the 4 would be to put 4 guards on the floor and try and out score the other team. What 5 would you rather have on the floor: Chris Jones, 2 of Brooks/Aniefiok/Taylor, Jordan Williams, and Colin Voss - or Jones, Brooks, Williams, Flannigan, and Voss?

Which lineup is better offensively? Clearly the 1st one. Which is better defensively? No clear cut better defensive lineup between those two IMO.

Ahmed, Wesley, and Combs are vital to this team's success. Hopefully they make it to where we don't need Jordan to play the 4. But on a team that is already small, whether you put a true post at the 4 or not, may as well use Jordan's height and rebounding to your advantage.

Jordan seems to get a large percentage of his rebounds by crashing the glass from farther out. He uses his athleticism to blow past his man and out leaps the players already closer into the basket. I don't think having him in the post will help since it will allow bigger posts to negate his leaping by putting a body on him.

Jordan is barely a 3 and has no business playing the 4 in CUSA.

Ideally, if we could've got quality, legit sized posts this wouldn't need to be an option. I also am not recommending this as our primary lineup, but a lineup we could go to often.

This conference, especially last year, is hardly a juggernaut conference with ample skilled big men. There are very few guys in this conference above 6'7" who actually are players and not just bodies. Look for yourself. The top teams in this conference had skill on the court, rather than just size.

Of the top 4 teams in CUSA, La Tech, MTSU, and Tulsa played just 1 guy in their entire rotation, not just starters, over 6'7". Southern Miss played 0.

Plus, what are our better options? Combs and Wesley have a lot of potential, but both are skinnier than Jordan and the same height. Not to mention they haven't played on a D1 floor yet. Wesley also was not a standout rebounder in high school. Putting Flannigan out there would be having a post just to have a post IMO. If we got Bocoum, it'd be the same thing. Ahmed is the guy we need to play big minutes down low with Voss, if we want to try and play in the half court with other teams. But that's just two guys.

Whether we play Williams or the other guys at the 4, if we play a team like UTEP, we will have a big advantage down low. We'll get outrebounded by those guys and posted up on. But if we have a guy like Jordan at the 4, we can't at least have a mismatch on offense in a guy who can stretch those big men out of the paint and open up the floor with other guards. Rather than try and post up our smaller posts on much taller, skilled big men.

• Upvote 1

Jordan seems to get a large percentage of his rebounds by crashing the glass from farther out. He uses his athleticism to blow past his man and out leaps the players already closer into the basket. I don't think having him in the post will help since it will allow bigger posts to negate his leaping by putting a body on him.

Yes, this is true. But I think he could hold his own rebounding, due to his experience and athletic ability, and be a nightmare for a true post to guard when on offense.

Like I said in my response to 90, we don't have much better options. Bigger posts will negate Combs and Wesley just as much, if not more. Ahmed and Voss are bigger bodied, but that's still just two guys.

• Upvote 1

I refuse to believe we will not have a serviceable center in here by October. (someone other than this Bochum person) If we role out a guard line-up I'll just sit out the year. Wait, I did that this year. Can a person red shirt 2 years in a row?

• Upvote 1