The Baylor Report and the Importance of Informing The School

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No.  I've given the same scenario that RAINN discusses on their website. 

"You have a situation where two people obviously had sex after some sort of flirting/relationship.  As far as I've seen from the facts, these weren't random rapes...."

" Now, I'm not saying all of these were instances of regretful sex.  You asked how could the women involved not go straight to the police. I'm saying, probably based on prior or current relationships with the players gone sour."

" There are whole areas of academic and criminal studied about this thing - date rape, rape by acquaintances, even marital rape.  Often, the women feel shame because of the relationship and are hesitant to go to the police...."

RAINN does not discuss anything like what you called "regretful sex".  What they discuss is 1) someone being raped by someone they know instead of a stranger, or 2)someone being raped by someone they had previously consented to, but did not in a second act. 

So then your quotation of those paragraphs could only mean one of two things.  Either you misunderstanding what they are saying so completely that you are making a completely specious argument.   In that case drop the argument.

Or, you think that what RAINN is saying somehow "proves" your theory of "regretful sex".  That would mean that you believe that one of the two scenarios they discuss is in fact not "rape", but instead "regretful sex."

So go ahead and tell me, which one of these two scenarios you quote is in fact not rape, but regretful sex:

1. Someone you know, not a stranger, committing a sex act against you without your consent, or
  2. Someone you had in the past consented to a sex act with, but then performed a LATER sex act against you without your consent.

I am all ears...

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You may be all ears, but you can't read and comprehend.

Cute, but you say a lot of crazy things on here and I think you need to answer what you mean for at least some of them. So again:

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No.  I've given the same scenario that RAINN discusses on their website. 

"You have a situation where two people obviously had sex after some sort of flirting/relationship.  As far as I've seen from the facts, these weren't random rapes...."

" Now, I'm not saying all of these were instances of regretful sex.  You asked how could the women involved not go straight to the police. I'm saying, probably based on prior or current relationships with the players gone sour."

" There are whole areas of academic and criminal studied about this thing - date rape, rape by acquaintances, even marital rape.  Often, the women feel shame because of the relationship and are hesitant to go to the police...."

RAINN does not discuss anything like what you called "regretful sex".  What they discuss is 1) someone being raped by someone they know instead of a stranger, or 2)someone being raped by someone they had previously consented to, but did not in a second act. 

So then your quotation of those paragraphs could only mean one of two things.  Either you misunderstanding what they are saying so completely that you are making a completely specious argument.   In that case drop the argument.

Or, you think that what RAINN is saying somehow "proves" your theory of "regretful sex".  That would mean that you believe that one of the two scenarios they discuss is in fact not "rape", but instead "regretful sex."

So go ahead and tell me, which one of these two scenarios you quote is in fact not rape, but regretful sex:

1. Someone you know, not a stranger, committing a sex act against you without your consent, or
  2. Someone you had in the past consented to a sex act with, but then performed a LATER sex act against you without your consent.

I am all ears...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On May 27, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Christopher Walker said:

It's not fair to speculate. Your synopsis however reeks of victim blaming.

I'd hold up here. As the Duke Lacrosse scandal showed, sometimes women lie about being raped. It doesn't happen very often, and with an effective, honest  police investigation (which most certainly did not happen at Duke) it can be sniffed out pretty quickly. 

Yes, in select few instances, women do lie about rape. You cannot simply accept what they say at face value. That isn't fair to the accused and could land an innocent person in jail for a long time. There is an investigative process that, if followed correctly, can almost always get to the bottom of the issue. 

Sadly, at Baylor, this process was never allowed to occur, which wasn't fair to the victims or the accused.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Posts like this are pretty prevalent on the interwebs:  http://www.scout.com/college/texas-tech/forums/1650-football/14762413-the-house-that-rape-built/183684967?s=188

This will take a while to blow over.  It will be interesting to watch the events unfold.  Much like the basketball murder in the early 00's, this may uncover completely unrelated issues.  According to reports, the entire S&C staff has been let go.??  Did the investigation find PEDs being used (a rumor that followed Briles from Stephenville and UH)?  There are lots of rumors of recruiting violations that included payoffs.  Will some of those come to light?  

How soon before McLane stadium is dubbed McRape stadium?  How would you like to donate $100mm+ and a couple years later have it tied to this mess?  

You think we got problems.  This is what happens when you sell your collective soul in exchange for winning.  It is a recurring pattern in sports.

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2016 at 3:55 PM, Cr1028 said:

Wow, really good explanation. Thank you.

You're welcome.  Here's more:  https://rainn.org/statistics

Again, majority committed by someone victim knows; and majority go unreported.

As far as on campus stats. https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

Female college aged students are 20% less likely than nonstudents to be a victim of rape or sexual assault.14 Only 20% of female student survivors age 18-24 report to law enforcement. In comparison, 33% of female nonstudent survivors aged 18-24 report to law enforcement.14

On 5/29/2016 at 8:44 AM, UNT90 said:

I'd hold up here. As the Duke Lacrosse scandal showed, sometimes women lie about being raped. It doesn't happen very often, and with an effective, honest  police investigation (which most certainly did not happen at Duke) it can be sniffed out pretty quickly. 

Yes, in select few instances, women do lie about rape. You cannot simply accept what they say at face value. That isn't fair to the accused and could land an innocent person in jail for a long time. There is an investigative process that, if followed correctly, can almost always get to the bottom of the issue. 

Sadly, at Baylor, this process was never allowed to occur, which wasn't fair to the victims or the accused.

Thank you.  That was pointed out twice in my post - Baylor didn't do what it was supposed to do according to the law. 

And, finally:  http://www.cotwa.info/p/false-rape-allegations-assault-on.html

For example, in terms of the initial disclosure, unlike false accusers, true victims tend to go directly to law enforcement to file a report.

So, again, the athletes should be forewarned by, at minimum, the coaching staff to steer clear and keep it in their pants.  Athletes are now in a world where the law directs schools to take action regardless of the veracity of the claim.

Baylor screwed up there.  False or true, they were specific actions they were supposed to take, but did not. 

And, so, from the first post:  I think this is the beginning of the end of "we're handling it internally." 

The game changed.  But, Baylor was so busy trying to be Oklahoma or Texas that they didn't bother to read/follow the new rules.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox