Running the football against Texas could prove challenging

Harry

6. With returnees like Cedric Reed, Malcom Brown and Desmond Jackson, this Texas defensive line has a chance to be the best in the Big 12 and one of the best in the country. Based on what they've shown in camp, not only are they dominating the line of scrimmage at times – especially in the most recent scrimmage – but they're looking like a special group to defensive coordinator Vance Bedford.

“This is one of the best defensive lines I've been around and I've been around a few,” Bedford said. “I think we can match up with anyone in the country any place, any time, anywhere. If you're going to run the football at those guys I think you're soft in the head.”

Bedford was on a staff that won a national championship at Michigan in 1997 and was with Strong when Florida won the BCS title in 2008. That Michigan defense allowed a mere 222.8 total yards per game and 9.5 points per game while the 2008 Gator defense finished in the top 20 nationally in ten defensive statistical categories, so Bedford knows good defensive line play when sees it.

If this defensive line can live up to the lofty billing then the results should help kickstart a defensive turnaround on the 40 Acres that's been expected with this staff's arrival.

read more: http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-SiriusXM-camp-tour-Charlie-Strong-David-Ash-30441089

If we get more than 100 yards on the ground against Texas, I'll be thrilled - and we'll have a fightin' chance. That will be their #1 priority: Shutting down the run to force an inexperienced QB to throw the ball, make mistakes. It's an easy gamble, from their perspective, because the odds of one of our QB's having a banner debut are long.

• Upvote 6

I fully expect our backs to get a 1,000 yard combined performance against them. Maybe 2,000. But, i don't want to sound too much like a homer.

... Wha???

I think points are going to be very hard to come by for our offense on 8/30. If we hope to stay in this game, we need at least one score each from the defense and special teams.

4 or 5 turnovers by UT would also help immensely. We need a +3 TO ratio to have any shot in this game. .

... Wha???

I think points are going to be very hard to come by for our offense on 8/30. If we hope to stay in this game, we need at least one score each from the defense and special teams.

4 or 5 turnovers by UT would also help immensely. We need a +3 TO ratio to have any shot in this game. .

I agree. It is going to be tough. We might only get what.... maybe 42 on 'em this time. I would say only get 48, but then I think it clearly will let my allegiance show.