Sounds like today might be the day

pastorgrant

Not a miny Mac fan. If he is our starter, please give Greer some PT as well! I feel like maybe start McNulty and rotate them until they see who can run the offense. But please don't be in game 2-3 still rotating QBs

I don't think this is McNulty's job in the same way DT had it wrapped up last year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Macnulty start but the coaches give the other(s) some wiggle room to take over by game 3 or 4.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case at all and Coach wants to live and die with Macnulty from day 1.

• Upvote 1

Right he was McNulty who in little play times has thrown 4 interceptions and done very little moving the ball through the air. Maybe we will just put a RB at QB.... that might fit Macs game plan better (run, run, run, first down/punt).

I think its been established that there has been plenty of time to develop since the last time these guys saw meaningful PT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It starts with the QB. I understand Dajon may have limited knowledge of the plays, however he is a play maker. We need to find time to invest him. Even if he is not the starting QB he needs to get play time. McNulty is not the man. I rather have Greer get 70% and Dajon get 30% of the time at QB.

Didnt we cry out for Brock Berglund last year.. because we thought Thompson was terrible. Then Thompson ended up taking us to a bowl game.

• Upvote 4

Didnt we cry out for Brock Berglund last year.. because we thought Thompson was terrible. Then Thompson ended up taking us to a bowl game.

Defense, special teams, running game, then DTs play got us to a bowl. He did however play his backside off in said bowl victory.

• Upvote 1

Thompson did okay, but 8 tds against 10 ints in conference play, like he had last year, may not be enough to go 6-2 this year.

Again, not putting blame on DT alone or saying he didn't do a lot for us. But it just looks like we're going to need more from our qbs this season. And less turnovers. Like 97and03 says, it doesn't matter if it's a game-manager or a dual-threat qb, or if it's even the qbs fault. A turnover is a turnover and a pick six is a pick six.

I almost think the system Mac has renders the quarterback somewhat irrelevant. We had more trouble in 2012 because, from my vantage point, our receivers were coating their arms and hands in large vats of butter before each game. DT was throwing utter strikes, right in the numbers. Incomplete. That got better last year.

It's never gonna be a flashy Air Coryell or (God forbid...shudder) a fast paced pass crazy spread offense with Mac. We bemoaned this week after week last year. We kept winning week after week, but we kept bemoaning our lack of passing game.

I'll take that game plan and those results any day of the week.

• Upvote 3

Here's an idea. Let the coaches who spend all day everyday watching film, evaluating practice, seeing effort in the weight room and offseason workouts, etc. choose who should be the starting QB should be. Nobody wants to win more than the coaches and players. The QB that will give us the best possibility to win every game will play I assure you.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I agree with what was said above. DT was a minor factor in our wining season last year.

Jeez.... Did he like steal your girlfriend?

Why is everyone still hating this guy? There were plenty of other things last year when everyone was complaining before the season even started about how we were going to suck and go 4-8.... This is why quarterbacks are always b*tching. They've been bred with the constant need to defend themselves.

Whoever they choose this year to start- there will be a method to the madness. I think everybody likes their jobs and scholarships and I'm pretty sure that there are no conspiracies in this club, so let DT go... He went out with a bang and deserves to be treated so.

I almost think the system Mac has renders the quarterback somewhat irrelevant. We had more trouble in 2012 because, from my vantage point, our receivers were coating their arms and hands in large vats of butter before each game. DT was throwing utter strikes, right in the numbers. Incomplete. That got better last year.

It's never gonna be a flashy Air Coryell or (God forbid...shudder) a fast paced pass crazy spread offense with Mac. We bemoaned this week after week last year. We kept winning week after week, but we kept bemoaning our lack of passing game.

I'll take that game plan and those results any day of the week.

Yep. Defense.... does in fact, win championships. Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

It am not saying DT is a terrible QB. I am saying he is decent and got the job done. He had a lot of offensive weapons around him and we ran the ball a lot last year. He was protected. We may not have that luxury this season. DT is much better than McNulty and had better players around him. I just do not believe that DT somehow single handedly gave us a winning season and a bowl game. I a sure that the coaching staff will make the decision they think is right. I just do not think that playing it safe will get it done against UT. We are going to have to move the ball through the air and I question if McNulty can do that. I hope he proves me wrong! Greer may be able too. I would like to see him get some play time. In two weeks all our questions will be answered. Until then we can only stuck to our opinions and what we think :)

To me, DT's leadership and sure-handedness were his greatest contributions. He was also an accurate passer but he sometimes threw into tight or double coverage when there was another receiver open. He never appeared to be looking off receivers. While he never fumbled he had little deception and everyone in the stadium knew who the ball carrier was.

Thompson ranks in the Top 5 passing because North Texas has never been much of a passing team. We've had a plethora of good/great running backs but no great passers.

It's much too early to tell but I feel that Greer could be a very good passing quarterback. He won an area passing accuracy contest while in high school. Last year he threw 149 times and only had one interception. With the potential at receiver that we have I hope that we throw more this year. A good passing game will allow the runners to get more yards per carry because they can't stack the middle.

Having said that, I saw a lot of improvement in McNulty this spring, and his being the better athlete when forced to run, may have more tools in the eyes of Canales and McCarney. He does need to guard against turnovers because that can kill us. But, all in all, I can see why the quarterback race is tight.

• Upvote 3

Jeez.... Did he like steal your girlfriend?

Pretty sure Andrew is a composite sock puppet of the mods and not an actual person. Was semi-confirmed a while ago.

Yep. Defense.... does in fact, win championships.

You. I like you. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. Or at least buy you a beer in the newly alcoholic beverage serving concourse at some point.

In unrelated news, how's your brother doing? Still looking at special teams this year? Please pardon my ignorance, but what was his position in high school? I can't remember.

• Upvote 1

It am not saying DT is a terrible QB. I am saying he is decent and got the job done. He had a lot of offensive weapons around him and we ran the ball a lot last year. He was protected. We may not have that luxury this season. DT is much better than McNulty and had better players around him. I just do not believe that DT somehow single handedly gave us a winning season and a bowl game. I a sure that the coaching staff will make the decision they think is right. I just do not think that playing it safe will get it done against UT. We are going to have to move the ball through the air and I question if McNulty can do that. I hope he proves me wrong! Greer may be able too. I would like to see him get some play time. In two weeks all our questions will be answered. Until then we can only stuck to our opinions and what we think :)

I agree with everything that you just posted....

But what I'm worried about-

I would wager to say that Texas' last scrimmage (before we meet them in Austin) wasn't like ours today. I know these guys are beat up and tired, but the honest to God difference between us and them is that they have players just as talented that haven't been given the opportunity in their third and fourth string.... Let's just hope that our hunger to beat Texas is stronger than the hunger that those guys have to prove themselves worthy of taking the field and trying to earn some attention or earn a spot. If they don't wear us down then I think we have a fighting chance.

Edited by SSP

Pretty sure Andrew is a composite sock puppet of the mods and not an actual person. Was semi-confirmed a while ago. You. I like you. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. Or at least buy you a beer in the newly alcoholic beverage serving concourse at some point.In unrelated news, how's your brother doing? Still looking at special teams this year? Please pardon my ignorance, but what was his position in high school? I can't remember.

I never turn down a free drink. :)

He played corner in HS. He's been moved to every secondary position since he's been at NT.

He's doing pretty damn well, actually. Playing 2nd string SS behind Lee and he's had a pretty good spring. The main thing I noticed different about him is the way he moves now. His hips look a lot more flexible and he's a lot stronger and thicker. We are praying that he stays healthy and keeps improving. ;). I know for a fact we will see him in skill position on the field plenty this year. We're pretty excited for him.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

I never turn down a free drink. :)

He's doing pretty damn well, actually. Playing 2nd string SS behind Lee and he's had a pretty good spring. The main thing I noticed different about him is the way he moves now. His hips look a lot more flexible and he's a lot stronger and thicker. We are praying that he stays healthy and keeps improving. ;). I know for a fact will see him in skill position on the field plenty this year. We're pretty excited for him.

That's great to hear. I always see him as one of the first people off the bus. He's clearly got an all-in enthusiasm. I expect great things from him!

• Upvote 3

You base this off of never seeing Greer play a D1 game, and McNulty's results from two years ago? Come on, give the young man a chance. I saw McNulty in the 2013 spring game and was shocked at his improvement. Otherthan getting stripped of the ball from behind, he looked very good.

Calimezngreen is spot on. The coaches that are paid for this and have much more experience and much more riding on this decision will make the right call.

Oh, and F Texsa!

• Upvote 3