Does San Antonio Raiders have a ring to it?

Harry

If (and a big "if") the Raiders ever land in San Antonio it would be a great thing for UTSA initially. The Raiders would have to use the Alamodome temporarily until a new stadium plan could be envisioned. Using the Dome would also pave the way for some much needed renovations making even a better home for UTSA once it's unoccupied. It's impossible to speculate on how attendance would be affected however San Antonians are ravenous about football and I think this city could support both teams.

There is potential for several San Antonio investors to take some owning interest in an NFL Team. From what I understand, Graham Weston (Rackspace CEO) envisions a future where the San Antonio and Austin markets are merged with the constant development along the I-35 corridor. Many are speculation that the Raiders would look to build a stadium in the extreme north of San Antonio or just outside San Antonio

I also don't see the team being called the San Antonio Raiders. I'm sure there would be a huge marketing push to change the team so that Texans would be more willing to embrace them.

If (and a big "if") the Raiders ever land in San Antonio it would be a great thing for UTSA initially. The Raiders would have to use the Alamodome temporarily until a new stadium plan could be envisioned. Using the Dome would also pave the way for some much needed renovations making even a better home for UTSA once it's unoccupied. It's impossible to speculate on how attendance would be affected however San Antonians are ravenous about football and I think this city could support both teams.

There is potential for several San Antonio investors to take some owning interest in an NFL Team. From what I understand, Graham Weston (Rackspace CEO) envisions a future where the San Antonio and Austin markets are merged with the constant development along the I-35 corridor. Many are speculation that the Raiders would look to build a stadium in the extreme north of San Antonio or just outside San Antonio

I also don't see the team being called the San Antonio Raiders. I'm sure there would be a huge marketing push to change the team so that Texans would be more willing to embrace them.

This is interesting. I've never heard this before. What kind of traction is this getting down in those two cities?

As mentioned a few times in this thread already, San Antonio has been used as a bargaining chip for several teams to drive deals they really want.

Eventually, they may make it too sweet for a team to pass up. We'll see, but I highly doubt it this time around.

If SA-town were to land the Raiders, I don't see the Alamodome sticking around for the long term. There's no need for two stadiums of that size.

I'm cool with them moving as long as the SA fans don't dress up like Gwar and misbehave as Raiders fans currently do. SA would support a pro football team just fine. I'm sure they'd love lower taxes we enjoy here in Texas.

As far as UTSA saying they should be part of the process, ridiculous. Laughable at best. It's about money. The Raiders don't care about UTSA. The Raiders' owner has probably never even heard of them. If I owned the team and wanted to move it some local school wouldn't even enter the equation.

Good for SA!

Edited by UNTexas

If SA-town were to land the Raiders, I don't see the Alamodome sticking around for the long term. There's no need for two stadiums of that size.

The Dome is still critical to the city of San Antonio. As I mentioned, I believe that the Raiders would build outside of San Antonio proper so the Alamodome is still a prime spot to draw in conventions and other revenue generating functions

The Dome is still critical to the city of San Antonio. As I mentioned, I believe that the Raiders would build outside of San Antonio proper so the Alamodome is still a prime spot to draw in conventions and other revenue generating functions

I'm no SA/Austin expert but if this were to happen is there that big of difference in commute time from building north right outside of SA versus downtown for commuters coming from Austin area? Given that most games would be played on Sunday anyway I would think building it in downtown would be a no-brainer and further developing it.

The newer stadium would likely steal away some of the Alamodome's business -- concerts, conventions, other games, etc. I just don't see where it makes sense to have two large sports facilities like that in a city that would only have one NFL team and NCAA FBS team.

The Raiders better not ask the county (Bexar?) residents to help fund the building of the stadium even if it is outside SA city limits. Otherwise SA residents still end up paying for the stadium without getting a lot of the benefit of it being within city limits.

The newer stadium would likely steal away some of the Alamodome's business -- concerts, conventions, other games, etc. I just don't see where it makes sense to have two large sports facilities like that in a city that would only have one NFL team and NCAA FBS team.

The Raiders better not ask the county (Bexar?) residents to help fund the building of the stadium even if it is outside SA city limits. Otherwise SA residents still end up paying for the stadium without getting a lot of the benefit of it being within city limits.

My thought is that if the stadium is away from downtown convention folks would still book the Alamodome so they are able to stay in the downtown touristy area. The AT&T Center (Spurs home) has really has not had an adverse affect on bookings at the Dome so I doubt an NFL Stadium would as well. The Spurs current home sits well outside the downtown area

Yeah I'm sure all of Bexar county would be hit up to help pay for a stadium. The good news is that the San Antonio highway system is excellent (2 major loops, several interstates that cut between them) so its relatively easy to get anywhere in San Antonio or to the outskirts of San Antonio in 20 minutes or so.

My thought is that if the stadium is away from downtown convention folks would still book the Alamodome so they are able to stay in the downtown touristy area. The AT&T Center (Spurs home) has really has not had an adverse affect on bookings at the Dome so I doubt an NFL Stadium would as well. The Spurs current home sits well outside the downtown area

Yeah I'm sure all of Bexar county would be hit up to help pay for a stadium. The good news is that the San Antonio highway system is excellent (2 major loops, several interstates that cut between them) so its relatively easy to get anywhere in San Antonio or to the outskirts of San Antonio in 20 minutes or so.

An arena and a football stadium are two different things. A newer football stadium with more amenities would absolutely steal from the Alamodome's business. First thing that comes to mind is the Alamo Bowl. You would see that bolt to the new stadium immediately. There was some consideration given to keeping Texas Stadium in Irving when the Cowboys built in Arlington, but after doing some research, it was determined that they would not be able to keep it open with its' limited appeal next to Jerry World.

Since Jerry insist on taking his team to Cal. why don't they just stay and send to Raiders to Arlington ?

Why don't you bite your tongue and play in traffic? I love me some Cowboys!

All kidding aside I read the other day once Jerry is done with his Frisco facilities Oxnard will probably be in the rear view. It must be a hassle logistically as well as a distraction to go out there for training camp.

Edited by UNTexas