Six Early Observations from Cowboys Camp

Harry

1. Lance Dunbar is poised for a huge year... if he stays healthy. The running back out of North Texas showed flashes last season before a knee surgery shortened his 2013 campaign. Dunbar told me he was nervous going into the procedure -- "that was the first time I'd ever had surgery!" -- but is really excited to have new Cowboys play caller Scott Linehan around. Linehan was very good getting the ball to running backs in the passing game in Detroit last season (Reggie Bush, for example). Dunbar was described to me by Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown as an unbelievably gifted RB in the passing game -- "He runs routes so well; it's a natural gift. He just sees things and angles really well." Linehan told me he really likes what Dunbar can add to the passing game, though he was quick to point out DeMarco Murray is still the main guy. I've been told the two things Dunbar needs to show are that he can stay healthy, and that he needs to be better in pass-blocking (a trait that has become crucial for running backs in today's NFL).

Read more: http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Six-Early-Observations-from-Cowboys-Camp-268821981.html