MGN Podcast 28

I had one other comment, and this is pointed more to GG -- I initially disagreed (respectfully) with your assertion that the linebacker position was a bigger concern then everyone's fallback --- the defensive line. I remained open and after listening to your explanation found myself sort of agreeing with you towards the end. I also thought that aztecskin's use of the UTSA game was a very good visual "theater of the mind" illustration of this issue. Kudos to you GG for not following the masses and going in another direction but basing it with facts.

Agree with you that the issue at linebacker isn't talent, heck we probably have more speed than we have ever had, but it is adjusting to the speed of actual game play and your teammates.

Aztecskin -- loved the UTSA loss description and the importance of Soza... that guy was a HELLUVA player and the biggest thing he did against us was limit his mistakes in the passing game...look at their losses and you will see Soza turning the ball over a lot more than he did in Denton that day. He just willed them to win and although it was a team effort his hand put the knife in our heart. They can have 107 returning starters but the one that counts is the one getting that "snap snap snap" like Mac says... of course we are in the same boat. And as much as I like Derek Thompson -- he just was not the equivalent of what Soza meant for UTSA offense...

I had one other comment, and this is pointed more to GG -- I initially disagreed (respectfully) with your assertion that the linebacker position was a bigger concern then everyone's fallback --- the defensive line. I remained open and after listening to your explanation found myself sort of agreeing with you towards the end. I also thought that aztecskin's use of the UTSA game was a very good visual "theater of the mind" illustration of this issue. Kudos to you GG for not following the masses and going in another direction but basing it with facts.

Agree with you that the issue at linebacker isn't talent, heck we probably have more speed than we have ever had, but it is adjusting to the speed of actual game play and your teammates.

Aztecskin -- loved the UTSA loss description and the importance of Soza... that guy was a HELLUVA player and the biggest thing he did against us was limit his mistakes in the passing game...look at their losses and you will see Soza turning the ball over a lot more than he did in Denton that day. He just willed them to win and although it was a team effort his hand put the knife in our heart. They can have 107 returning starters but the one that counts is the one getting that "snap snap snap" like Mac says... of course we are in the same boat. And as much as I like Derek Thompson -- he just was not the equivalent of what Soza meant for UTSA offense...

Thanks Harry. I don't mind when people disagree with my views. It happens when you put your views on a podcast or write-up. So no worries there Sir.

I try to get people to think outside of the box sometimes. Yes the DL has questions, but I feel like the LBs are replacing just as much. Go watch just how much ground Will Wright and Zach Orr covered last year. Wright had some tough assignments for a LB. Marshall and Ellis have just as much if not more athleticism as Wright, but can they make the reads in a hurry. Same thing for Scott. A lot is being put on his shoulders. It helps to have Akunne though and Mr. Skladany coaching them.

On the DL a lot of people get caught up on size. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I've looked at the comparison of weight differential vs how many rush yards UNT gave up. There wasn't anything to really grab on and say that weight differential has a direct effect. I believe we have 4 guys in a rotation at DE now we just need to find 2 more guys to add to the rotation at DT. Plus I trust our coaching at this position too.

• Upvote 2