SMU’s June Jones says he’ll coach 3 to 5 more years

Harry

SMU football coach June Jones, Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle and Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington teamed up to support the Positive Coaching Alliance for North Texas in the Coffee with the Coaches at the American Airlines Center on Wednesday.

The program also included PCA founder and CEO Jim Thompson and Mavericks radio play-by-play announcer Chuck Cooperstein.

Since its founding in 1998, PCA has provided impact workshops for youth and high school coaches, parents and youth sports organization leaders and high school student-athletes.

Jones, 61, is starting his seventh season with the Mustangs.

Do you see yourself finishing your career with SMU?

I dont know how to answer that. Im probably going to coach three to five more years somewhere. I get really attached to my kids, so its hard to move, its very difficult for me. Most of the kids come because youre the coach. So they made the commitment, and I always talk about commitment. So its very hard to move.

What are your thoughts on the new College Football Playoff, a four-team, seeded playoff?

I see the [old] BCS probably going into four conferences, like they wanted originally. Were at five [power conferences] now, but I think theres still one more movement coming.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/06/25/5928923/qa-smus-june-jones-says-hell-coach.html#storylink=cpy