Hudspeth Gets Pay Raise--Now Over $1 Million

Hudspeth has signed a new six-year contract, one that raises his base salary by $200,000 and will pay his an average of $1.075 million over the course of the total $6.45 million contract. . . .

With the raise in place and Bobby Petrino no longer coaching at Western Kentucky, Hudpseth will be the Sun Belt's highest-paid coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24586966/new-contract-for-ulls-mark-hudspeth-bumps-salary-past-1-million

I believe that would also make him the highest paid coach in C-USA, and by a good margin.

Now that's commitment.

I still don't understand why CUSA picked up ODU and Charlotte, but left LLAF in the belt? Were they invited and turned it down or something? Or was an invite never extended? If not, this is a mistake.

They were never invited--they would have hopped on it instantly if they were. And the reason why ODU and Charlotte were picked over them is primarily market. I agree that they would have been a better add to C-USA than almost anyone who was added--and as good of an add as any of them.

But oh, well. We have 14 members now, which is getting a little unwieldy as it is. But if someone jumps, I would think ULL would have to be the no-brainer replacement.

I believe it was to satisfy East Carolina. That was the reason for ODU and Charlotte - to provide someone close to East Carolina in hopes that they wouldn't jump some place else. East Carolina didn't want any more teams east of the Mississippi, period!

I think you mean west of the Mississippi. That's possible . . . I know ECU wasn't crazy about "all those Texas teams." I don't know that they would have had a problem with ULL for geographical reasons. But it is true that Charlotte and ODU were given priority in large part to satisfy ECU's bellyaching.

Absolutely, I just don't understand some of the schools CUSA has brought in. It's almost as if they started to panic when other schools started to leave and they felt they had to act fast and fill voids without thinking it completely through. I would have rather had Ga St & ULL over ODU & Charlotte. It is what it is though.

Absolutely, I just don't understand some of the schools CUSA has brought in. It's almost as if they started to panic when other schools started to leave and they felt they had to act fast and fill voids without thinking it completely through.

That's what it seems like to me as well. To be honest, if they hadn't panicked and filled C-USA with Sun Belt teams and FCS moveups, the teams that are now in the AAC may well have come back to C-USA.

I would have rather had Ga St & ULL over ODU & Charlotte. It is what it is though.

I certainly don't agree with you on Georgia State. They are awful. But ULL? Absolutely.

Regardless, it's water under the bridge now. ULL almost definitely needs to be the replacement if a hole opens up in C-USA, though.

I would have rather had A State & ULL over ODU and Charlotte. It's nitpicking and I know we don't have any right (as no one does) to put our nose in the air, but looking at CUSA as a competitive conference the former makes more sense than the latter teams in terms of trying to maintain a competitive perception. CUSA should have carefully cherry picked as P5's do when they do. As I said before, it just feels like CUSA panicked and starting shooting incoherent invites.

Guy has earned it. He has done a fantastic job there and remained loyal.

I don't believe that any coach of amature sports is worth a million a year. It's one more sign that our priorities are out of whack.

I don't believe that any coach of amature sports is worth a million a year. It's one more sign that our priorities are out of whack.

I agree 100%. Calipari's & Saban's new contracts are mind boggling. 6.9 & 7 million a year. Duke doesn't report salaries, but it has been reported by the media that Coack K brings in 10 million a year. Priorities are all wrong. Universities across the country need to get their mind right.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I agree, but it is what it is. You've got to keep up with the Joneses. I would rather be in a conference with schools that pay their head coaches a million dollars a year than with schools paying their head coaches $200k.

• Upvote 1

I agree 100%. Calipari's & Saban's new contracts are mind boggling. 6.9 & 7 million a year. Duke doesn't report salaries, but it has been reported by the media that Coack K brings in 10 million a year. Priorities are all wrong. Universities across the country need to get their mind right.

A coach's salary is only as high as what someone is willing to pay. If Alabama wants to pay Saban $7Myear, who are we to say it's too much?
  • Upvote 2

A coach's salary is only as high as what someone is willing to pay. If Alabama wants to pay Saban $7Myear, who are we to say it's too much?

Alabama is a public university so I guess the public has a right to say it's too much. Alabama has needs that are much more important than a successful football program. Hell, that university has many needs more important than football.

Paying Saban 28 times as much as a nobel-prize winning physicist is stupid.