Father's Day...

Used to be, but unfortunately they've slacked off on courting the kids market. Within the next 50 years baseball will probably become the 5th ranked sport in America if not lower. My kid would be bored if I took him to a game, way to slow.

That's the beauty of it. It gives you a chance to connect with your kid during the "slow" time periods.

And for God sakes, don't let them bring in their cell phone or any other electronic device. There will be plenty of time for texting on the drive home.

For both of you...

• Upvote 2

Agree with that. Funny how something that you think helps you save time instead takes up more of your life. Agree with the bit about going to baseball games and connecting with your kid. The problem is baseball is not helping parents bring their kid into the baseball fold so to speak. Games are way too long and most start late. Football gets it right that most games are on the weekend during the day. Even NT's Saturday night games start at 6 most of the time. Rangers start at 7? and could go 4 hours depending on the style of play. Makes it hard for kids to go to an entire game or even watch a whole game on tv. Nba, mls, nhl all those games are a little over 2 hours. By the time our games are over I'm home by 10pm most of the time. For the rangers it could be 1130. /rant/

Agree with that. Funny how something that you think helps you save time instead takes up more of your life. Agree with the bit about going to baseball games and connecting with your kid. The problem is baseball is not helping parents bring their kid into the baseball fold so to speak. Games are way too long and most start late. Football gets it right that most games are on the weekend during the day. Even NT's Saturday night games start at 6 most of the time. Rangers start at 7? and could go 4 hours depending on the style of play. Makes it hard for kids to go to an entire game or even watch a whole game on tv. Nba, mls, nhl all those games are a little over 2 hours. By the time our games are over I'm home by 10pm most of the time. For the rangers it could be 1130. /rant/

Hard to play a 162 game season only on weekends.

• Upvote 1

This is the other thing I dislike about baseball. We all whine when our favorite sport isn't on, but I don't feel like Baseball fans have much room to complain. Atleast 160 games, even if you don't make the playoffs. Baseball season goes from what, March to November?

You know what I would call my favorite Football teams playing 160 games and a season that goes for 8-9 months?

Heaven.

I believe that kids might get bored towards the end of a baseball game, but I believe that's more of a reflection of today's kids rather than the game. kid's have a shorter attention span these days than in the past. not that baseball is action packed, but kids have trouble getting through anything that is longer than 90 minutes.

Which brings us to other issue with baseball....over saturation. way too many games that don't mean anything, play the same teams way too many times, etc

We value football season because games matter due to the number of games in a season and you see teams play only once against each other, maybe twice.

Edited by the green rokemi

I believe that kids might get bored towards the end of a baseball game, but I believe that's more of a reflection of today's kids rather than the game. kid's have a shorter attention span these days than in the past. not that baseball is action packed, but kids have trouble getting through anything that is longer than 90 minutes.

100% true. so will baseball survive this generation?

100% true. so will baseball survive this generation?

I am honestly shocked it has stuck around this long, and is still as popular as it is, but I'm starting to think it will be here for the long haul and I'm happy about that. I'm not a die hard, but when baseball is good, it's really good.

Who says you have to stay the whole game? Dad always left in the 7th when I was a kid, even though I begged him to stay most of the time.

It's about connecting with your kid, not a baseball game. That is just the ship for the journey.

• Upvote 1