Southern Miss AD talks CUSA perception

NT03

A win over the Bruins for Tulsa Friday night and deep NIT runs for USM and LaTech will obviously help.

I will say that I appreciate his thoughts and MUCH prefer the approach of self-evaluation to the whining we're see this time of year from other conferences (AAC). Mack Brown may disagree but I don't see how public complaint helps one's cause. Identify areas that need improvement and then get it done.

Edited by jdennis82

The difference with the atlantic 10 sure is telling.I like his thoughts and his approach. Seems methodical and there seems no reason why the league and it's members should not follow up the suggestion of marketing its successes more agressively.

I wonder partially though, if it does have anything to do with whose games are on ESPN and whos are elsewhere.

USM doesn't really have any choice but to talk about CUSA in as positive a light as they can, since they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Its actually one of the sadder realities that they must deal with as time moves on. They have no TV market, they are the step-child of Mississippi, and the program that made them well-known (decades of solid upset-minded football) has fallen off the cliff just as conference realignment started changing things up for TV purposes. I remember vividly one USM poster on the CUSA board before we joined ssaying clearly that he didn't want CUSA to add Charlotte, ODU, UNT, or UTSA because he knew that once any of us got our programs moving upward, that USM would be left behind because they have no TV market to sell to other conferences. Its a tough gig in Hattiesburg, MS when your football team isn't good anymore.