MGB: NCAA approves blanket schedule waiver

Brett Vito

No one complained because we blew those weak teams out of the water! How many times do that have to be said? For you and Kram.

Wayland Baptist and Northwood each had a game-tying 3-point shot attempt in the last minute of the game. That's the problem.

It seems to me people are complain about the schedule. To me and to any coach or player a win is a win. Yes we should have won by more, but a win is a win. Any former player will tell you they are happy with any win. Yes it made it obvious that the team has glaring holes and work to be done but it counts as a win. I would be happy to win every game remaining on our schedule by 1 point.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me people are complain about the schedule. To me and to any coach or player a win is a win. Yes we should have won by more, but a win is a win. Any former player will tell you they are happy with any win. Yes it made it obvious that the team has glaring holes and work to be done but it counts as a win. I would be happy to win every game remaining on our schedule by 1 point.

It's really both. Did you learn nothing from this week, and the investigation that we got pitied out of having to forfeit a loss? We played 5 non D1 schools. That has never been done when Johnny was here, then you throw in the fact that two of those teams played us down to the wire on our own court. A team whose players drove themselves to the game in their own cars (Northwood) almost beat us.

• Upvote 1

It's really both. Did you learn nothing from this week, and the investigation that we got pitied out of having to forfeit a loss? We played 5 non D1 schools. That has never been done when Johnny was here, then you throw in the fact that two of those teams played us down to the wire on our own court. A team whose players drove themselves to the game in their own cars (Northwood) almost beat us.

But we win and lived to fight another day. Yes it was an awful game but we won. And I just went through our schedules and I'm pretty sure with exhibition games Johhny consistently had 3 or 4 division 2 or NAIA games. I believe Cameron is division 2 (I might be wrong) we consistently seemed to schedule them and we always played 2 division 2 exhibition games. The year we played Cameron we did this. And we also played University of the Southwest. Pretty they are not division 1. Sure we might have played them better but they were also just a win.

I suppose we have it down to the issue of a win. I believe a win is a win while others believe that if you win by 20 it somehow counts as more of a win. Sure Johhny beat those teams by double digits and in many cases 20... It was still just a win.

Edited by Andrew

Considering that we almost (should have) had to forfeit a game, I think that complaining about the schedule is valid at this point.

If you read early I said simple solution was replace waylaid baptist with UTA and there would be no issue. The schedule with that game would be just like any other schedule we have had over the past 4 or 5 years. I was referring to the rigor of the schedule and only after I made the previously mentioned comment, stop picking and choosing what I say and act as if it an my final point.

If you read early I said simple solution was replace waylaid baptist with UTA and there would be no issue. The schedule with that game would be just like any other schedule we have had over the past 4 or 5 years. I was referring to the rigor of the schedule and only after I made the previously mentioned comment, stop picking and choosing what I say and act as if it an my final point.

with NT kicking UTA to the curb with the thought that we might be getting a better team to play. That better team never surfaced.

You're staying true to form Andrew.

with NT kicking UTA to the curb with the thought that we might be getting a better team to play. That better team never surfaced.

You're staying true to form Andrew.

Originally it was my understanding that we removed UTA for this year because of our tournament. Was that the case? If you can answer that question then it would help... Was that the reason? That is what we were told. Is it true? Answer the question please.

Originally it was my understanding that we removed UTA for this year because of our tournament. Was that the case? If you can answer that question then it would help... Was that the reason? That is what we were told. Is it true? Answer the question please.

It is true that the Coaches vs Cancer game was on the same day and that UTA didn't want to move the game ...

Benford said at the coaches' caravan that another reason the game was canned in order to have 1 more home game. SFA was the best opponent we ended up this year at home. I don't know who we got in the place of UTA but if I suspect if we had kept UTA we might have had 1 fewer Non-Div 1 school on our OOC schedule.

I really don't know if it was worth it for us to participate in the tournament. I think we went 1-3 with one of those wins requiring a double overtime.

It is true that the Coaches vs Cancer game was on the same day and that UTA didn't want to move the game ...

Benford said at the coaches' caravan that another reason the game was canned in order to have 1 more home game. SFA was the best opponent we ended up this year at home. I don't know who we got in the place of UTA but if I suspect if we had kept UTA we might have had 1 fewer Non-Div 1 school on our OOC schedule.

I really don't know if it was worth it for us to participate in the tournament. I think we went 1-3 with one of those wins requiring a double overtime.

It would have been worth it if we had won another game or two. Which we should have. At least next year we will play UTA again so hopefully there is no issue. i wish we played them, TCU, and SMU on a very regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so it would have been a solution to leave UTA on the schedule. The problem with that solution is that it is not what happened and we got the schedule that we ACTUALLY HAVE. I think it is perfectly fair to be upset with the schedule, especially considering that we had a decent team already on the schedule and decided to drop them for an NAIA team.