MGB: Could Canales be in play at UAB?

Brett Vito

I have slept since then, but as I recall Buddy Temple was tasked with closing small state universities because did not attract enough students and were not economically feasible to operate. Because of politics he was unable to do this. However, the smaller schools, such as WTSU,ETSU,,Pan American,Tarlton State,etc. became part of either the TA&M or Texas systems[uTA switched from from A&M to Texas]. North Texas State declined to become a part of the Texas System,and TWU wanted no part of us.The upshoot was that TA&M,Texas,TT,UNT, and one other school[either Houston or SFA] increased academic requirements and put somewhat of a cap on campus housing in an effort to drive enrollment to underutilized campuses. I have often wondered how we would have faired as part of the UT system. At any rate, I think my account is close enough for government work,but certainly am open to corrections.

Chico is going to be a head coach sooner rather than later. I hope he gets a better opportunity than UAB.

As for UABs polical situation, all state schools must play politics. Arkansas State has continuous battles with Arkansas. The Louisana schools all battle with LSU. Tech and Baylor got into the Big Xii based on the sitting Lt Governor. To this day, Kstate battles KU over the size of their stadium with KU keeping it smaller than Kstate would like.

NT has had to play politics the get Appogee, the law school and many other things. Back in the late 70s the legislature wanted to merge TWU into NT but the Aggies blocked it. Why? Because at the time the merged school would be bigger than A&M. some times you win and sometimes you lose. But complaining about politics at a state unversity is about is like complaining about the weather.

The Aggies may have indeed hated the thought of NT being bigger than them, but they didn't hate the idea of a merger as much as the TWU alums did. TWU got mobilized and made their displeasure known.......to everyone. I remember being somewhat envious of them. I thought "why can't UNT alums be that passionate and assertive"?

I agree with the idea that OCs don't turn down more money and a title promotion based on fear that the program can't be successful. A coach doesn't get to the level of FBS Coordinator without confidence in his own ability.

That's exactly why Gus Malzahn turned down the Vanderbilt HC job to stay as OC at Auburn. He saw Vanderbilt as a dead end job where he could never win.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Canales isn't going anywhere anytime soon. After 4 years of hard work and UNT is finally back on the College Football scene, he would be a fool to leave now. Next year will be just as good or better than this year.

My opinion: Dajon Williams will be an incredible QB, and the Canales playbook will now be able to open some chapters that haven't been opened since Groethe and BJ Daniels at USF.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Canales isn't going anywhere anytime soon. After 4 years of hard work and UNT is finally back on the College Football scene, he would be a fool to leave now. Next year will be just as good or better than this year.

My opinion: Dajon Williams will be an incredible QB, and the Canales playbook will now be able to open some chapters that haven't been opened since Groethe and BJ Daniels at USF.

Good to hear! Needed a pick me up after BBall today!

• 10 months later...

Alabama BOR stopped the Jimbo hire and the building of an on campus stadium, sighting the economy and "fiscal responsibility, good stewards, etc." Yet, a year earlier, 2010, they finished a $80.6 million dollar expansion of the South End Zone at Bryant-Denney stadium! UAB may never recover from those two decisions.

Such clairvoyance. And so it is.