• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Harry

WFAA: College grads with eligibility left help UNT basketball

DENTON — The University of North Texas basketball team will open conference play on Thursday with a four-game winning streak.

On their team are two college graduates with playing eligibility left.

“I got my Bachelor of Science in criminal justice,” said UNT center Kelvin Gaines.

“It’s kind of a long name: it's Interactive virtual Digital Communications,” North Texas guard Vertrail Vaughns said of his degree.

Gaines is from Florida and played at Cincinnati before transferring to Denton. Vaughns went to Mesquite High School and played at George Mason.

Because Gaines and Vaughn are college graduates, they were able to transfer to North Texas and start playing basketball right away. They did not have to sit out a year.

So now, they're going to school here and working on their Masters.

“My academic advisors at Mason told me about it,” Vaughns said. “If you’re a grad student, then you can go and play right away."

Read more: http://www.wfaa.com/sports/College-grads-with-eligibility-left-help-UNT-basketball-239177831.html

Bingo! Nice job guys. Good PR for UNT and the program. Congrats, guys!

Now, Young graduates, Vaughn and Gaines....let's go take care of Southern Miss Thursday!

Hmmmmmm...not helping much to date it seems.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Harry
      I like everyone am so thrilled about this major turnaround in men's basketball.  The CBI has given us a glimpse of what could be an AMAZING future for the program.
      Here's my question, we know that we basically only lose Temara (who is not playing in the tourney) and we add the Russian (6-10) and Jahmiah Simmons (6-4) both listed as forwards.
      We know Umoja Gibson (shooting guard) will be back after his injury.
      We know Jalen Jackson the point guard out of SA is committed to the 2019 class.  He is evidently the heir apparent to Woolridge.
      We also know that we OWE a ship to Draper period. He is so damn deserving...
      So assuming if through attrition or whatever, we have 1 or 2 (not likely) spots left to give, at what position would you think we need to land to best set ourselves up for the 2019 season?  Should it be high school or juco or best available?  Put yourself in Mac's shoes and let's try to predict what (if anything) he will do.
      PS - I am sure I am missing some details on the scholarship numbers etc here so feel free to correct as needed!  GMG
    • By Harry
      QUICK HITTERS
      Ryan Woolridge's nine assists gives him 205 dimes on the season. He is now just three assists shy of the tying Walter Johnson's single-season record of 208 in the 1976-77 season. UNT hit 14 3-pointers on the night to extend its single-season program record to 290 made 3-pointers on the season. The 14-for-20 performance marks the fourth-best three-point percentage in a game (73 percent) in program history. The 14 makes ties for the fifth-most in program history and is the most since December 2007. North Texas used some big runs to control the night, as a 14-2 run early on was capped by back-to-back 3-pointers from Jorden Duffy and Michael Miller. Toward the end of the first half, UNT went on a 14-0 run over four-and-a-half minutes to build 42-20 lead. UNT opened game on 13-2 run, Jacksonville State didn't have first field goal until nearly six minutes into the game. At one point in the first half, UNT made 14 of 15 field goal attempts to help spur a 57-point first half in which UNT shot 70 percent from the field and made 10 of 14 shots from beyond the arc. The last time UNT scored 90 or more points against Division I opponents in three straight games was 1997-98. It marks first time since the 1990-91 season that UNT has beaten three straight Division I opponents by scoring 90 points or more. The win marks the Mean Green's third three-game (or more) winning streak of the season, which is the most since 2010-11, when there were also three such streaks. UNT had five players score in double figures - Roosevelt Smart, Jorden Duffy, DJ Draper, Zachary Simmons and Ryan Woolridge - marking the first time since an overtime loss to Western Kentucky on Feb. 15 that the Mean Green have had five or more players reach double figures. The Mean Green shot 71 percent from the charity stripe and are now 11-0 this season when shooting better than 70 percent from the foul line. Read more:  http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032118aaa.html
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

• Images

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.