Mike Canales

MeanGreenEJ

I thought Coach Canales had one of his better games yesterday. Although we didn't rack up a ton of yards, he made some awesome calls to get the offense going on a day where we couldn't run the ball at all with our RBs. We struggled big time in the first half to get anything going. I was really worried going into half time since our offense is very reliant on running the rock.

He got the running game going by getting Brelan and Carlos involved on some reverses. The call he made where Thompson and Brelan ran the option to the right and then did a reverse pitch to Harris was genius. Everyone in the stadium thought the ball was going to be pitched to Brelan after he motioned in the backfield.

I also loved the goal line throwback. Its been a while since that play was used and I doubt UNLV saw it on film.

I hope we can keep Coach Canales around. The players really enjoy playing for him and he definitely has the swag to be a head coach someday. Hopefully he's next in line in 5 years at UNT after Coach McCarney retires post 5 straight bowl wins.

• Upvote 1

I think the reason we always start off slow is he really incorporates the run a lot to wear down the opposing defense. It doesn't look flashy but you can see it's effects in the 2nd half (Did you see how tired the UNLV D looked?). It's just classic smash mouth football that McCarney loves. Better than, oh let's say the Cowboys, who can't run the ball at all and may jump out to an early lead but always seems to blow it at the end (due to fatigue).

Same game plan we've had all year. Come out take a couple of shots to see if we can punch them in the mouth, establish the run protect the ball and open her up later on when we know what it's going to take to win. Let the defense do the rest of the work.

The execution was there later in the game, not so much early in the game (like just about every other game this year). Good adjustments at half time to make sure play makers got touches and were involved. (like every game this year).

Tulane and UTSA were really the games that had me scratching my head over play calling.

We've got a good coaching staff with good game plans that work and get tweaks if they don't most of the time. The difference to me, this year, has been the preparation, player execution, guys staying healthy, and making plays. Kudos to the staff and players working year round to make sure they are/were ready to go.

Looking forward to 2014.

• Upvote 2

Same game plan we've had all year. Come out take a couple of shots to see if we can punch them in the mouth, establish the run protect the ball and open her up later on when we know what it's going to take to win. Let the defense do the rest of the work.

The execution was there later in the game, not so much early in the game (like just about every other game this year). Good adjustments at half time to make sure play makers got touches and were involved. (like every game this year).

Tulane and UTSA were really the games that had me scratching my head over play calling.

We've got a good coaching staff with good game plans that work and get tweaks if they don't most of the time. The difference to me, this year, has been the preparation, player execution, guys staying healthy, and making plays. Kudos to the staff and players working year round to make sure they are/were ready to go.

Looking forward to 2014.

We were also having to deal with some very dumb penalties early on too. Once the guys settled down, the whole thing started rolling. If we didn't commit those penalties during our first offensive drive and UNLV's first offensive drive, that game could have been very ugly.

I remarked to my friends halfway through the third quarter about how gassed the UNLV D line and LBs were. Dudes had their hands on their hips sucking air after every play. That's been the M.O. for this squad, though: wear opponents down with the run. Someone who deserves big props on this point is Coach Wintrich. He's done an outstanding job in working with the guys on conditioning and performance.

Loved seeing Chico go after UNLV late, too. The deep post to Darnell and the double reverse to BC capped off a great game.

UNLV keyed on the run and blitzed in the first half. Canales called a great game.

Our execution was horrible in the first half. The play calls were still good though. They would have worked had it not been for the penalties and mistakes. I know 2 or 3 passes in the first half where DT read blitz, but the wrs did not and messed up the read.

You are supposed to shorten your route on a blitz and look a whole lot sooner than our wrs did in the 1st half. Seems like it was corrected in the 2nd half. Shorter routes and take what they give you. Stop running your route into the coverage.

I remarked to my friends halfway through the third quarter about how gassed the UNLV D line and LBs were. Dudes had their hands on their hips sucking air after every play. That's been the M.O. for this squad, though: wear opponents down with the run. Someone who deserves big props on this point is Coach Wintrich. He's done an outstanding job in working with the guys on conditioning and performance.

Loved seeing Chico go after UNLV late, too. The deep post to Darnell and the double reverse to BC capped off a great game.

I have to give a lot of kudos to the OC and DC for rotating players on and off the field this season. I have to give more kudos to the sports medicine, training and conditioning staff, too. All of those parties came together to make sure that when most other opposing teams were gasping for air in the 4th quarter, dealing with sudden cramps, and showing fatigue-related decision making problems, our guys were sharp all game.

You could see it all season from Idaho all the way to UNLV - conditioning and rotation makes a huge difference.

• Upvote 2

Will be interesting to watch who comes out of spring as the QB. I think Coach C's offense will benefit with a more mobile QB. You can tell he really wants to use his QB as a running threat.

I thought the reverses and the throw back pass were great scouting and coaching. If you watched UNLV vs San Diego St you would have seen why we ran those so much.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking the same thing during the end of the 3rd, Coach Wintrich is really shining here.

Good post EJ. I agree. My favorite play was the tight end TD pass to a wide open Drew Miller -- you could tell that Chico drew that up based on how they were playing us defensively.

Sat in front of a guy who played football with McCarney at Iowa and me and him were talking about how well that play was drawn up.

• Upvote 1

Saw it all year - that look of pure excitement and confidence from the opposing team when they go up 7, 10, 13 or 14. It's almost as if the opponent gets a false sense of security, while Mean Greeners know something cool is about to brew. That is what made my trip to Tulane and the UTSA game so frustrating - the takeover never happened. And how cool is it, that point in the game when the opponent is wilting and you know sending your O and your D onto the field can be equally satisfying and energizing. I turned to my friends who are UH and USC fans and said, "Third quarter halfway gone and we have a 7 point lead...I like where this is heading." You would never make that statement watching a Cowboy game. If watching an Aggie game you had better be down by three scores when making that statement.

Love our Mean Green! Love this Team!

Loved this season!!!!!

• Upvote 1