Our Opponent UNLV

JRock

Their two best players on the team are from Texas, Devante Davis and Tim Cornett. There are 10 Texans on their roster. This is a HUGE recruiting opportunity for their program.

If you look purely at the stats - they sort of look like UTSA. Stats show 50-50 run pass history, one 1,000 yd RB, QB is efficient passer and 2nd leading rusher*.

It's really quite interesting, their fans think they will crush us and our fans think we will destroy them. Someone is incorrect! If we play like we did against Rice we can win. If we play like we did against UTSA gulp...

*thanks to untgeorge for the UNLV stat info!

It's really tough to gauge them, because all of their wins were against really crappy opponents and all of their losses were against really good opponents, with the exception of middle-of-the-road and inconsistent SJSU (6-6) who beat them by 10 points and also upset Fresno. I would think it will be a very close game.

I really hope for a win, because UNLV was one of the six losses I saw at home. It was right when Dr. Pohl was getting in, either as Provost or President (he spent a year getting eased into the role before officially becoming President, I believe 1999-2000), and they were his previous school. For those who don't know, we have gotten 2 recent Presidents - Dr. Pohl AND Dr. Smatresk - from UNLV. So it's kind of funny that there was an article saying most of them never heard of us, since we pulled one of their administrators away to become President of our University just over a decade ago.

With two of the six losses I've seen at home being against Tulsa and UNLV, it would be cool to have payback for both in the same season! Even if I can't be there to see the payback in person... :(

Edited by JesseMartin

IMO UNLV is a tougher matchup for us than Syracuse, Pitt, BC due to their passing ability. It is a double whammy because they are a team that can definitely beat us if we don't play well, but don't cary the same recognition if we win. I think UNLV can say the exact same about us. However, they were looking at playin in the Famous Spud bowl and the HOD landed in their lap once all the horse trading began. They should be pumped. (so should we)

I expect a street fight. Our defense will need to be on. I heard rumors of Freddie Warner maybe being available. If he is healthy, he may help on some passing situations when they spread us out.