I just love Longhorn fans

emmitt01

On Texas fans...They are un-freaking-grateful! I've been on this kick all year. Big push to get Mack out of town. They forget how far down this program had been before Mack got to Texas. He has done SO much for them, even winning a national championship. Playing in what was arguably the most exciting NC game ever. It was just 4 years ago (I think) they were in another national title game. I have criticism of Mack, but if I were a Texas grad (as most of my family is) getting rid of Mack wouldn't even be a consideration. It just disgusts me. I hear Bob Stoops is under the same gun at OU. I lived in OKC when he was hired. Granted, it wasn't the same dumpster fire Todd Dodge left us with, but in relation to where OU had been and where it was in 1999, a comparison can be made. Both Stoops and Brown have resurrected once proud programs back to national recognition. Each has won a title and had a shot for another. They are proven winners.. But I guess the grass is always greener when you're in Austin or Norman. UNGRATEFUL!

Mack Brown takes the top recruits year after year and leads them to....4 losses.

When speaking about groups of people, I find it's best to find one small part of a whole and then paint the rest with the broadest brush possible.

Or just talk about what is actually true.

Are you talking about the small segment that knows college football? In that case, I would have been very sexist to say that ALL women know college football, right? Because that is actually finding one small part of a whole and then painting the rest with the same broad brush.

But thank you for the appropriate politically correct response. You win a participation trophy from GMG.com.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Or just talk about what is actually true.

Are you talking about the small segment that knows college football? In that case, I would have been very sexist to say that ALL women know college football, right? Because that is actually finding one small part of a whole and then painting the rest with the same broad brush.

But thank you for the appropriate politically correct response. You win a participation trophy from GMG.com.

Was referring to the fan base comments on this board, which had nothing to do with you, but you're welcome to take it personally and then speak to me in a condescending manner.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

completely agree. wish others could move on. that era has ended and the new era is bright!

I went through something similar to the Dodge era as an undergrad with basketball. I went to every home game all four years of college. I saw one victory. One. There was a year the team went 1-25.

That was 20 years ago. There have been some rather successful seasons since then, but nothing lasting more than a couple years. The team is back on the upswing, but it still bears the scars and public perception of the team it fielded twenty years ago. Nobody takes it seriously. Nobody cares. They struggle to get over 1,000 in the stands.

It's gonna take several years of success to move on from the Dodge era. One winning season does not erase the sins of the predecessor...yet. Do this a few more times, find ourselves in a conference championship game, beat some BCS schools that people recognize, become as feared on the road as at home. When we expect rather than giddily hope for winning seasons and bowl victories, I imagine the fan base will be over the Southlake relocated era. Kinda the same way people all but forgot Trilli's name there for a while.

Edited by oldguystudent

This is Mack Brown's 16th year at Texas There have only been 4 season in which he has recorded 4 or more losses. That is far from year after year.

Since losing the 09 National Title game they've been in a tailspin. 7 losses, 5 losses, 4 losses. So he's won a national title with Vince Young 10 years ago, congrats? Every other season he's come in with a top 5 recruiting class and still, 1 national title in a conference that is 2nd tier to the SEC and arguably the PAC12 & Big 10 in some years. Not to mention overlooking the last 2 Heisman winners who went to high school in Kerrville and Copperas Cove. Let's not forget Jameis Winston who said he wanted to play at UT but they never offered. UT is one of the few schools that can sleep and still win the recruiting battle, yet Mack Brown has exactly 2 conference championships to his name.

The only reason tu won the title with Young is because Carroll went for it on 4th instead of punting. They left tu with just short enough of a field to score the winning TD. If they had punted, I think Mack would have run our of time.

That stop was one of the most amazing defensive downs ever. I suppose you can blame Carroll, but you have to credit UT as well. And football is a game of inches. Any close game would be changed by one or two "ifs" and "buts." How about if Colt McCoy had not been injured in the BCS Championship Game against Bama?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only reason tu won the title with Young is because Carroll went for it on 4th instead of punting. They left tu with just short enough of a field to score the winning TD. If they had punted, I think Mack would have run our of time.

I tend to agree but it's impossible to play the "if" game in that scenario. I do believe punting would have been the better option though.

Since losing the 09 National Title game they've been in a tailspin. 7 losses, 5 losses, 4 losses. So he's won a national title with Vince Young 10 years ago, congrats? Every other season he's come in with a top 5 recruiting class and still, 1 national title in a conference that is 2nd tier to the SEC and arguably the PAC12 & Big 10 in some years. Not to mention overlooking the last 2 Heisman winners who went to high school in Kerrville and Copperas Cove. Let's not forget Jameis Winston who said he wanted to play at UT but they never offered. UT is one of the few schools that can sleep and still win the recruiting battle, yet Mack Brown has exactly 2 conference championships to his name.

Defensive much? Your statement was that Mack loses 4 games a year on a regular basis. Not true. I call it a LIE! Have they been in a tailspin? Yes. Are they close to pulling out of it? Depends on who you ask. If OU wins and Texas wins (I agree both things are not realistic) Texas wins the Big 12. At the very least they lose 4 games and go to a bowl. Still pretty impressive considering the tailspin you claim they were in. There are criticisms of Mack Brown to be sure (can't develop a QB, underachieve, loyal to a fault), but to say he's not a winner or to claim he hasn't done great things at Texas is asinine. Texas didn't start winning recruiting battles UNTIL Mack got there. Are you not going to give him credit for that? Texas HS athletes were going out of state left and right before Mack got there. One of the first things he did was say "We're putting up a border around the state. Top tier Texas recruits are coming to UT." He also brought Darrell Royal back on campus. He called Texas fans out for being apathetic and made game day a fun atmosphere. Mack Brown had the same resources available to him the previous 4 coaches had (along with the same pressure) and made it work. It's funny you sound like all the Texas fans I speak to on a regular basis saying, "He hasn't done enough." His team won a National Championship and played for another one! That aint easy, I don't care who you recruit. Bob Stoops also pulls in top tier recruits on a yearly basis, but I don't hear the same amount of hatred spewed about him. If you are counting they have the same number of crystal trophies. Mack Brown also does it with class and dignity.

I'm gonna get called out on this for being a Longhorn fan. But I make the same argument for Bob Stoops. The fact that anyone wants them removed from their job just baffles me.

• Upvote 1

Take this waste of space to the UT board. North Texas is going to a bowl game after it's first winning season in a long time and people are wasting time talking about about Mack Brown and Bob Stoops. WTF!!!! Is it any wonder why the NT fan base is considered a joke? The only thing that will change the perception of the NT football program is a bowl win and then following it up with a no more than two loss season next year. To be considered a quality program is what I desire, not sure about anyone else. And quality programs win, and win on a consistent basis.

• Upvote 2

Defensive much? Your statement was that Mack loses 4 games a year on a regular basis. Not true. I call it a LIE! Have they been in a tailspin? Yes. Are they close to pulling out of it? Depends on who you ask. If OU wins and Texas wins (I agree both things are not realistic) Texas wins the Big 12. At the very least they lose 4 games and go to a bowl. Still pretty impressive considering the tailspin you claim they were in. There are criticisms of Mack Brown to be sure (can't develop a QB, underachieve, loyal to a fault), but to say he's not a winner or to claim he hasn't done great things at Texas is asinine. Texas didn't start winning recruiting battles UNTIL Mack got there. Are you not going to give him credit for that? Texas HS athletes were going out of state left and right before Mack got there. One of the first things he did was say "We're putting up a border around the state. Top tier Texas recruits are coming to UT." He also brought Darrell Royal back on campus. He called Texas fans out for being apathetic and made game day a fun atmosphere. Mack Brown had the same resources available to him the previous 4 coaches had (along with the same pressure) and made it work. It's funny you sound like all the Texas fans I speak to on a regular basis saying, "He hasn't done enough." His team won a National Championship and played for another one! That aint easy, I don't care who you recruit. Bob Stoops also pulls in top tier recruits on a yearly basis, but I don't hear the same amount of hatred spewed about him. If you are counting they have the same number of crystal trophies. Mack Brown also does it with class and dignity.

I'm gonna get called out on this for being a Longhorn fan. But I make the same argument for Bob Stoops. The fact that anyone wants them removed from their job just baffles me.

Believe me, many of would love nothing more than for Mack Brown to keep his job.

• Upvote 1

Since they let them replace the old L head with a stupid electric motor... The Model A probably wouldn't be able to make the entire parade route on a single charge....

True, and I pointed that out to those in charge during our meetings and it went woooosh!.....right in one ear and out the other.

And BTW...the gutted Model A's recent restoration (exterior/interior)... is complete except for one thing.....Brakes!

I was told everything was a go and ready to roll except they had not gotten the brakes fixed yet. And this was told to me the night of the Idaho game while the car was on display on the concourse.. And when was the Idaho game?.....

...over two months ago.

Rick