UNT signing day primer

Harry

At UNT, where football rules the roost, mention signing day and people immediately think about early February.

Well, the other signing period arrives tomorrow. Its the early period, which is pretty important in the basketball world.

Here is a look at where things stand for UNT:

I chatted with Carter coach Lyndon Love this afternoon to find out what Jeremy Combs plans are. Combs is a 6-7 forward UNT made a big priority in this cycle.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/11/unt-signing-day-primer.html/

We have four scholarships. I am hoping for a solid juco big and a well rounded Juco shooting guard and two solid freshman which one of which is combs. Looking forward to seeing who. Benford can bring in next year.

We're going to have 7 seniors next year, at least 1 junior in Anefiok, and at least 1 freshman in Wesley after a redshirt year.

I think 2 JUCOs and 2 freshmen would be good. We need freshmen badly but we could also use a JUCO or two so that Anefiok isn't our lone senior in two seasons.

Paper reporting that Combs will, indeed, sign with the Mean Green today. Great get by Coach Benford and company.

In other local news...Arlington is local, right?...Lincoln star Derrick Neal has withdrawn his commitment to UTA and will not sign today...nor will his brother Erick. Both say they are "exploring options" with Derrick maybe signing to play football instead.

And...in a match-up of some interest last night...SFA beat it's old coach and Texas State 64-57 last night in San Marcos.

Best news is that Combs plans to sign today!

• Upvote 2

Where does Austin play? He's a JUCO, right?

And do we have any chance with the Neal twins? Have they actually been recruited by us?

Austin is a Paris JC. He's been on campus more than once. I'm guessing he's out of the picture now w/ the Harris commitment ?

I don't think the Neal twins have been recruited by us in either football or basketball. They seem to want to stay together, even if it's Derrick playing FB & Erick BB. Derrick is a solid football player and is probably making the right choice to stick with that. He's a great hooper, but would have a better shot of going further on the gridiron IMO

Austin is a Paris JC. He's been on campus more than once. I'm guessing he's out of the picture now w/ the Harris commitment ?

I don't think the Neal twins have been recruited by us in either football or basketball. They seem to want to stay together, even if it's Derrick playing FB & Erick BB. Derrick is a solid football player and is probably making the right choice to stick with that. He's a great hooper, but would have a better shot of going further on the gridiron IMO

Got it. It looks like we're just about filled up if Jalen Jones really is going to transfer here. I wonder how close Carrington Ward is to pulling the trigger.

Combs, Harris, Ward, and Jones would be a decent class. Just still only 1 freshman and no true post but I wouldn't be upset with that class.

Got it. It looks like we're just about filled up if Jalen Jones really is going to transfer here. I wonder how close Carrington Ward is to pulling the trigger.

Combs, Harris, Ward, and Jones would be a decent class. Just still only 1 freshman and no true post but I wouldn't be upset with that class.

I would like to see a post player over ward but that is just me

When are we going to update the pinned threads on this board with the players that have signed/committed for next season?

It's been pinned on the UNT Football Recruiting Board:

I've updated it to include the latest two commits. We are now up to 13. The list shows the date their commit was recorded and links to the discussion about them on the site.

Once we get through the regular football season I will put a copy on the main football board. We just have limited real estate on the main football board right now but you can always check for updated signee info in the Football recruiting section! GMG!

It's been pinned on the UNT Football Recruiting Board:

I've updated it to include the latest two commits. We are now up to 13. The list shows the date their commit was recorded and links to the discussion about them on the site.

Once we get through the regular football season I will put a copy on the main football board. We just have limited real estate on the main football board right now but you can always check for updated signee info in the Football recruiting section! GMG!

That's great, thanks Harry!

Now, about the basketball recruiting forum and the pinned threads...

That's great, thanks Harry!

Now, about the basketball recruiting forum and the pinned threads...

That's on me.

Between Treys departure and Hopkins arrival, I lost almost all enthusiasm for the program. NT03 was handling a lot of the recruit and commit info, but 12-20 took a lot of it out of him, too.

If someone else wants to track it, I'm happy to unpin and replace... But as long as we keep signing 8-9 guys to replace 4 seniors, or until Benford either wins or loses his way out of town... I'm not keeping up with it like that anymore.

That's on me.

Between Treys departure and Hopkins arrival, I lost almost all enthusiasm for the program. NT03 was handling a lot of the recruit and commit info, but 12-20 took a lot of it out of him, too.

If someone else wants to track it, I'm happy to unpin and replace... But as long as we keep signing 8-9 guys to replace 4 seniors, or until Benford either wins or loses his way out of town... I'm not keeping up with it like that anymore.

Fair enough. Can we at least unpin the 2013 stuff?

Also, it just shows how far things have fallen that you lost you passion like this.

Edited by forevereagle

That's on me.

I'll cut you some slack since you were one of the what, 1,500(?) in attendance for Nichols.

I'll cut you some slack since you were one of the what, 1,500(?) in attendance for Nichols.

And, one of two of us in a suit no less! I came over from the Alumni Association Ring Ceremony held that evening. Didn't think tech guy types wore suits. It looked like a pretty nice garb...had that shirt with the stock broker white cuffs and collar shirt. Way cool, man!

Styling at the BB game. Were you in disguise?

And, one of two of us in a suit no less! I came over from the Alumni Association Ring Ceremony held that evening. Didn't think tech guy types wore suits. It looked like a pretty nice garb...had that shirt with the stock broker white cuffs and collar shirt. Way cool, man!

Styling at the BB game. Were you in disguise?

For the record Kram means tasty. I try to avoid suits.