Bowl Chaos is Coming

shaft

Luckily for us, C-USA has 6 bowl tie-ins and only 6 of the 7 "eligible" teams can be selected (UTSA can only be picked if bowls remain available). Also, our "neighbor" the Big 12 (both conferences are headquartered in Irving - although that has nothing to do with this conversation) will only have 7 teams, but 8 tie-ins (and that's if two teams don't go to the BCS). All in all, the chaos will not be coming to Denton

• Upvote 3

I think we're headed to the Heart of Dallas Bowl. But it might take two more wins to guarantee we get the HOD over the Hawaii bowl.

I also wouldn't count the Big 12 out. The flier UNT was passing out about bowl games says HOD is a CUSA/Big 12 tie-in vs. the Big Ten. The Heart of Dallas Bowl website also hypes their relationship with the Big 12, but it also says this year's game is CUSA vs. Big Ten. The B12 also has 7 bowl tie-ins, not 8, so if for some reason TCU becomes the 8th team there will be bowl chaos that could effect us.

Bowls are about ticket sales first, politics second, and match-up third.

With that being said we're a notch ahead of the "extra" SBC teams that would be 6-6.

Edited by shaft

The flier UNT was passing out about bowl games says HOD is a CUSA/Big 12 tie-in vs. the Big Ten. The Heart of Dallas Bowl website also hypes their relationship with the Big 12, but it also says this year's game is CUSA vs. Big Ten. The B12 also has 7 bowl tie-ins, not 8, so if for some reason TCU becomes the 8th team there will be bowl chaos that could effect us.

Bowls are about ticket sales first, politics second, and match-up third.

you are correct. I mis-read their website earlier.

In addition to winning and fans showing up vs UTSA, I think it would definitely help us if we took a large contingent to Tulsa on the 30th. That way we prove that we can actually travel well

• Upvote 1

B10 needs Northwestern to win 2 out of last 3 to be able to fill all their slots (vs Michigan,Michigan St & Illinois )

Indiana is in the same boat with 2 out of 3 (vs. Wis, OSU, Purdue)

And Illinois has to win out (vs. OSU, Purdue, NW)

Obviously if the B10 doesn't fill their bowl slots, CUSA should be safe with their bid to the HOD Bowl.

Indiana is in the same boat with 2 out of 3 (vs. Wis, OSU, Purdue)

And Illinois has to win out (vs. OSU, Purdue, NW)

Obviously if the B10 doesn't fill their bowl slots, CUSA should be safe with their bid to the HOD Bowl.

Yeah, but I just can't see IU or Illionios winning out. I think Northwestern has the best shot of #Hit6

Am I alone in thinking this is what's wrong with college football today?

No, you are not alone. But, it is great for the Mean Green and college football and often the communities that host these games.

But, it is almost getting to be way too much. I recall when the bowls were many fewer and even the lower tier bowls had great match-ups. Some of the bowls today...well.

But, again...how could their possibly be too much post-season college football?

Someone explain to me the assumption that TCU makes a bowl game. They are 4-6 with games remaining at Kansas State and against Baylor. They will lose at least one of those, and likely both. That gives them a finish of 5-7 or 4-8.

Big 12 only sends six unless TCU has a miracle finish.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Look, the HoD Bowl is dying to have us in their bowl game this year. They have to get a CUSA entry in there and we are EASILY their best hope for a nice turnout in that game. This is the dream come true for the HoD Bowl and CUSA--to have giant UNT play in its backyard while playing a BIg Ten team that travels very well (basically anyone not named Northwestern). They want us to play Iowa. The only two things that can trip this up is Iowa to beat Michigan, which could happen, but I think Michigan wins that game, and us winning out and going to the Liberty Bowl. Ironically, us making to the Liberty Bowl, while making us CUSA champions, also gives us a farther venue to travel to against a tougher opponent. Anyone from the SEC that will be bowl eligible will be much tougher than anyone that the Big Ten sends down here.

I want to play Iowa in Dallas on New Years Day at the Cotton Bowl. I want Hayden Fry to flip the coin before the game and to be honored at halftime by both schools.

But I'd gladly "settle" for being CUSA Champs and playing a team like Ole Miss or Vandy in the Liberty Bowl, too!!

• Upvote 2

This is why we got out of the sunbelt, and this is why Marshall is not going back to the MAC. It will mostly be the teams from those 2 conferences that will find themselves on the outside looking in.

Yes there might also be a C-USA team getting the slip. My bet is on Tulane. No need for the conference to give anything to a deserter. If not (because maybe the New Orleans bowl really wants them) it will be interesting to see. By the way: with their remaining schedule FAU just might make it to bowl eligibilty (they need 3 wins, they get to play NMSU, Southern Miss and FIU, it does not get easier than that).

If La tech gets there, I fear for them that they will be the ones left out. We only get left out if we lose both remaining games and totally deflate the fan base.

Someone explain to me the assumption that TCU makes a bowl game. They are 4-6 with games remaining at Kansas State and against Baylor. They will lose at least one of those, and likely both. That gives them a finish of 5-7 or 4-8.

Big 12 only sends six unless TCU has a miracle finish.

I don't think this assumes TCU makes it. It assumes West Virginia and K-state make it. K state is 5-4 and WV needs to win their last two and plays Kansas and Iowa state. Seems quite realistic.

• Upvote 1

What if we were to win championship AND play in HOD. There is no requirement that champ plays Liberty. See USM.

Also, what if B1G cannot fill all slots? Which bowl gets the shaft?

The Big Ten has already gotten their 7 teams bowl eligible IIRC, or they are fairly close to having them sew it up. Iowa beating Purdue was big for them ebcause it got them to 6-4 with games left versus Michigan at home and at Nebraska.