Some UNT Recruiting Thoughts...

Harry

I posted an article I came across from the Tulsa post game press conference after their loss to UTSA in another thread and it got me thinking.

I think all of us who have been following UNT recruiting for some time would acknowledge that programs like Rice, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Colorado State, Tulane, etc have had our number on recruits for quite some time. Much of this was due to the losing and lack of facilities but conference affiliation also played a large part. I think specifically, the privates have done a good job against us touting the dollar value of their education and the associated private school tuition, small classes and facilities they offer..

Notice that I don't mention TCU or Oklahoma State. Both are in the Big Twelve and frankly will be difficult for us to beat. Not impossible but more on that later. We just need to start winning battles against the Tulsa's, SMU's, Rice's etc and it will be a major step forward for us.

This season has seen a huge shift in terms of North Texas shedding many of the obstacles which have been stacked so heavily against us in the past. We're winning and bowl eligible for the first time in close to a decade. Our attendance is showing signs of growth. An example would be we outdrew a Tulsa homecoming game on a Thursday night of Halloween. We beat a good Rice team. Our facilities are at least as good or better than all of the teams mentioned. We have a larger upside for attendance by virtue of our student population which dwarfs most of the schools I mentioned.

Mac's staff has proven that they know how to identify good talent and develop it. Look at a James Jones or a Cyril Lemon or a Kenny Buyers or an Antoine Jimmerson. If we can start winning some of the battles against our peers especially here in the state of Texas it will mean we can hit on even more good players.

I will promise you that the Tulsa's and Houston's and SMU's of the world will start trying to play the AAC card as a key differentiation in the minds of recruits and their families. Other than this 2013 season where they do have that final auto BCS bid which will most likely go to Louisville (although Houston has a legitimate shot) there aren't huge differences in the AAC and C-USA. We've seen this season that FAU can beat an AAC program (Tulane) despite a coaching mess. Little ole UTSA showed that they could beat a future AAC program Tulsa at home. The AAC will have the same opportunity to gain access to the new playoff system as do we.

So what we have here is a tremendous opportunity to change the perception of recruits and their families. It's extremely important that we don't dilly dally around with Mac's contract or get complacent in terms of assistants, facilities and support staff. If we learned anything from the Dickey bowl era it was that you can't just win and expect everything to stay the same. You have to do what it takes to keep your staff in place, and that goes beyond Mac and includes guys like Ryan Walters who I promise you will be courted by some of the top programs this season. And maybe you just can't keep a Ryan Walters but you at least make it more difficult for a bigger program to land him. Keep investing in pipelines like DeSoto as we know that will payoff. Keep working the media, invite them to every broadcast you have; offer them to do their shows from the stadium and on campus.

I have never been so excited about the future of this football program. My only hope is that we are able to be PROACTIVE and capitalize on this great season so we can continue to grow. GMG!

I think that we are moving in the right direction but I don't think that this class will be exceptional (at least as far as the scouting experts ratings). We have already taken several two-star and unrated athletes thus far. There are still about ten uncommitted but some of them are long shots at best.

We should be a lot more competitive with the G5 conferences in 2015. Houston is the top recruiter in Texas for those not in a Power5 conference and I expect that to remain for the next few years. The rest of us aren't far behind but when you have coaches like McCarney, Coker, Jones and Franchione (reputable coaches all) it's hard to separate one from the pack. It will take several years of winning, as Houston has done, to gain an edge.

Assuming that we extend and expend the necessary amounts to keep our coaches, I think that this staff is very stable. Key members of the staff likely will have only another 5-10 years of coaching before retirement and might not want to start over somewhere else. If we continue our success it's a certainty that we'll lose some of the younger coaches but maybe there are a few Marcus Trice type potential coaches to take up the slack.

CUSA is still a strong player in recruiting because of TV exposure and bowl possibilities but we must amintain strong teams to remain a factor. That is why a competitive North Texas is at least on par with with the AAC and the MWC and slightly ahead of the Sun Belt and the MAC. If we can grow our attendance we will only become better.

• Upvote 1

I think McCarney has removed most doubts about his coaching this year. The one area that he should improve is recruiting. NT starts winning more recruiting battles and this program will continue to surge.

McCarney and staff have proved they can coach players up and also do a good job of identifying lightly recruited players who can help the program. NT has the resources, staff, and now they are winning so there is no reason NT should not win more than their share of recruiting battles with non=power conference programs.

Assuming that we extend and expend the necessary amounts to keep our coaches, I think that this staff is very stable. Key members of the staff likely will have only another 5-10 years of coaching before retirement and might not want to start over somewhere else. If we continue our success it's a certainty that we'll lose some of the younger coaches but maybe there are a few Marcus Trice type potential coaches to take up the slack.

Patrick Cobbs and Brian Waters aren't doing much these days. Assistants to Tommy Perry and Mike Simmonds?

• Upvote 1

If I had wanted to edit my post, I would have done so.

You know, I agree. This is not a shot at UNT90, but an overall observation. I don't care if people have a differing opinion than mine, but the editing of a post and the typing "fixed" is irritating. It isn't fixed. That was that poster's opinion. If you have a different one, fine, just write it out and leave the original alone. Again, not a shot at UNT90 because many do it, just my HSO.

• Upvote 3

I will promise you that the Tulsa's and Houston's and SMU's of the world will start trying to play the AAC card as a key differentiation in the minds of recruits and their families.

They can play that card, but as you mention, UNT can play the "we're as good as they are" card, simply because CUSA teams have beaten AAC teams. The other card UNT can play--at least for Texas recruits--is: "Mama can see you play within a day's drive in almost all our away games every year."

• Upvote 1

You know, I agree. This is not a shot at UNT90, but an overall observation. I don't care if people have a differing opinion than mine, but the editing of a post and the typing "fixed" is irritating. It isn't fixed. That was that poster's opinion. If you have a different one, fine, just write it out and leave the original alone. Again, not a shot at UNT90 because many do it, just my HSO.

I was going to give you a +1, but since you said its not a shot at UNT90, I changed my mind.

Fixed.

• Upvote 2