Great DMN Quote on "The Stand"

KRAM1

This may be the best quote yet regarding "The Stand" that I have seen....Sunday Dallas Morning News...Kevin Sherrington"s A La Carte"...page 2C...Sunday DMN:

"North Texas' eight-play goal-line stand in the fourth quarter against Rice in the Mean Green's 28-16 win on Halloween was the best traffic stop since the Berlin Wall."

He goes on to say..."Dan McCarney has done a terrific job at UNT in his third season."

Be still my heart. I love this stuff! Great to see UNT getting such positive press...even three days after "The Stand".

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

People here complain because we don't get a lot of press outside of Denton. Well, we have sucked so why would we even of wanted the press? This just shows, if you win, people will talk about you.

Agree for the most part,..but we had the best moment of all the college TV games Thursday night, and possibly for the entire week yet Sports Center never even spoke a word about our game Friday morning.

So yeah, there's still some room for complaining. It won't do any good of course but we'll still notice the slight.

Rick

Agree for the most part,..but we had the best moment of all the college TV games Thursday night, and possibly for the entire week yet Sports Center never even spoke a word about our game Friday morning.

So yeah, there's still some room for complaining. It won't do any good of course but we'll still notice the slight.

Rick

This probably has as much to do with the coverage being on Fox Sports 1 - So much better than ESPN

• Upvote 4

Generally, the press is lazy and just follow the heat of the teams that are hot. We probably could do a little better job of spoon feeding them, but if we don't win, it's really not going to matter.

• Upvote 1

This may be the best quote yet regarding "The Stand" that I have seen....Sunday Dallas Morning News...Kevin Sherrington"s A La Carte"...page 2C...Sunday DMN:

"North Texas' eight-play goal-line stand in the fourth quarter against Rice in the Mean Green's 28-16 win on Halloween was the best traffic stop since the Berlin Wall."

He goes on to say..."Dan McCarney has done a terrific job at UNT in his third season."

Be still my heart. I love this stuff! Great to see UNT getting such positive press...even three days after "The Stand".

Nice find Kram! Sherrington writing about us in a positive way is a good thing!

People here complain because we don't get a lot of press outside of Denton. Well, we have sucked so why would we even of wanted the press? This just shows, if you win, people will talk about you.

Very good point. Failure tends to be not as newsworthy as success.

Generally, the press is lazy and just follow the heat of the teams that are hot. We probably could do a little better job of spoon feeding them, but if we don't win, it's really not going to matter.

I was just thinking, what about a little spoon feeding about Homecoming weekend? For instance, I believe we are the only major college for miles that still has a bonfire. Covering that event might make a nice little mid-football season story in itself.
  • Upvote 1

I was just thinking, what about a little spoon feeding about Homecoming weekend? For instance, I believe we are the only major college for miles that still has a bonfire. Covering that event might make a nice little mid-football season story in itself.

The bonfire is one of many traditions that promotions could use more help on. It's been two years since the Model A was destroyed and still no sight of it's replacement driving around. And it's been three years for the Spirit Bell.

Funny, I watched some of the Brown University game on Fox Sports East yesterday and after they scored the camera zoomed in on a cheerleader who was ringing their big bell that is permanantly mounted on a large concrete pad and thought..." We have one of those......but ours actualy drives...."

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Noticed that photo is credited to a photographer with USA TODAY Sports.

This actually doesn't mean that USA Today was there. It's a confusing thing, but USA Today bought US Presswire and changed the name to USA Today Sports. Don't get me started on it's effects on pro sports shooters, but it's more or less guys shooting on spec. Meaning they get paid very little to shoot the game but retain some share of the rights when the photos are sold to non-member publications. Member publications yield no pay for the shooter.

You can search their archive here: http://www.usatodaysportsimages.com/features/

Back to Mean Green. I like Sherrington, have since he advised a college newspaper I worked for... ok a long while back.

Shane

• Upvote 1

The bonfire is one of many traditions that promotions could use more help on. It's been two years since the Model A was destroyed and still no sight of it's replacement driving around. And it's been three years for the Spirit Bell.

Funny, I watched some of the Brown University game on Fox Sports East yesterday and after they scored the camera zoomed in on a cheerleader who was ringing their big bell that is permanantly mounted on a large concrete pad and thought..." We have one of those......but ours actualy drives...."

Rick

I could have sworn I saw the Model A at the Spring Game.

• Upvote 1

I have seen the Model T at games, but I haven't seen it actually run for awhile. I heard somewhere that it now had an electric engine, but I don't know that for sure.

• Upvote 1

I could have sworn I saw the Model A at the Spring Game.

The 1929 Ford Model A.... dubbed The Green Machine at the University of North Texas has been gutted and destroyed. It's shell is now electric powered, making it something other than a 1929 Ford Model A. Despite all of that, it's electric shell, which is placed on display at times at Apogee still doesn't work nearly two years after they created it.

Rick

• Upvote 1