Here's what I would like to see in the Southern Miss game

Harry

Let's come out and take a damn lead! Would like to see what our defense could do with some points on the board. I would bet Skladany might mix in a few more blitzes and open up the defensive playbook earlier if he knew he had a lead.

Keep throwing the ball to Marcus Smith. Yeah I know he had a big drop in the last game but he's getting there and I would like to see him keep progressing for the future.

More out passes to the sidelines. These are safer than across the middle and DT has a good enough arm to complete them.

Try throwing the ball more deep to Brelan Chancellor. I just think if you can put the ball up in the air deep he will win that battle most of the time.

I might try to QB draw or read option to DT more early in the game...seems like we always pull that out late and it works well but what if you switched it up and loosened things up for the running backs instead?

Think about putting a shadow on their QB similar to what MUTS did with the Marshall QB last night. They are playing him because he does better when things break down. A shadow would help protect against that.

If Q. Brown is health play him! Or at least get him a few snaps. We will need his pass rushing abilities as the season moves on.

Harry, you make a good point about Marcus Smith. I think in the pistol sets if UNT runs a play action pass off the dive play they can get Smith wide open over the middle. So have Miller line as the FB and Split Smith out a little. USM had trouble biting on that type of action. Smith to me could cause all kinds of matchup problems. Somebody find that kid some stick'em.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see if we get stopped running the ball on first down (and everyone knows we'll be running on first down) that we alter our plans and throw on first down (novel idea isn't it?). The sprint out by DT and throw to Darnell on the an out pattern has worked golden for us. This is game that by halftime we should all be sitting around drinkin our "pops" and talking about Halloween night.. I hope our gameplan and play allows us to do so. For the record I believe it will.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see if we get stopped running the ball on first down (and everyone knows we'll be running on first down) that we alter our plans and throw on first down (novel idea isn't it?). The sprint out by DT and throw to Darnell on the an out pattern has worked golden for us. This is game that by halftime we should all be sitting around drinkin our "pops" and talking about Halloween night.. I hope our gameplan and play allows us to do so. For the record I believe it will.

If we're opening holes and our RB's are hitting them and gaining yards, then running on first down is a good thing! I don't care how we get them, just get positive yards and TDs. Don't fumble. Don't throw an INT. How they do it is up to what USM is weak against, and how the players, coach Canales, and coach Mac decide to exploit those weaknesses.

• Upvote 1

All good points Harry. Just don't understand why the beginning of the game we run generic stuff and DT is in full 'throw high because i'm throwing off my back foot' mode (see the first series against Tulane w/ a wide open TE over the middle on 3rd down). We have to throw the ball deep. It's effective and we to trust Brelan to make the play. Put Terrell in the slot and run and out and up along the sideline...haven't done it all year, and we have to hope a 6' 3" WR can make that play.

• Upvote 1

If we're opening holes and our RB's are hitting them and gaining yards, then running on first down is a good thing! I don't care how we get them, just get positive yards and TDs. Don't fumble. Don't throw an INT. How they do it is up to what USM is weak against, and how the players, coach Canales, and coach Mac decide to exploit those weaknesses.

This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time concerning play calling