Interesting basketball tidbits

emmitt01

Ok, so you seem to think these young men are "children"....quite an amazing stab at justification in the first place...at what age in your opinion, is a person responsible for his/her own attitude and actions? I mean, you have seen lots of kids...you know the 18-21 variety of "kids" during your law enforcement career. So, at what age does one have a responsibility for their own actions and attitudes? Perhaps you can answer that and we will be able to figure you out on this a tad better.

So apparently DT is still 12 in your book?

Convenient, isn't it?

(remember, I'm not one of DT's critics. I criticize the coaches for not putting him in a position to be successful. Because I have consistency in my opinions).

Also, why don't we try to keep this in the realm of sports. Constant referrals to what I may or may not do for a living really have nothing to do with this conversation.

What will your Benford excuse be after this year?

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

The latest AD talking point from RV himself on the podcast a couple of weeks ago seemed to blame JJ for the mess last season, saying Benford was "dealt a bad hand." So, I imagine that will continue to be the theme should things go sour again.

So much for "no excuses."

RV directly blamed the players. A completely bush league move from an A.D. And he did it to remove pressure from himself, which is even more concerning (how could he blame the coach that was his personal pick?).

What R.V. should have said is "Look, we are all disappointed by last year. The athletic department, including myself, Coach Benford, and everyone on his staff apologizes for an inexcusable season. That result is not acceptable and cannot be repeated at this university. I understand that. Coach Benford understands that, and steps are being taken to make sure last year's performance is not repeated."

Instead, we got good ole Ricochet Rick, shucking and jiving away from responsibility. But, hey, he has the right set of friends, so nothing is ever his fault. Don't believe me? Just look at his shiny new 10 year contract.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

And you should understand that coaches are accountable FOR the players.

You can lead a horse to water, kick it, whip it and coddle it, but sometimes it just won't drink. Then you should cut it loose if it doesn't comply. Would have loved to have seen your reation should a horse or two have been cut loose.

• Upvote 1

So apparently DT is still 12 in your book?

Convenient, isn't it?

(remember, I'm not one of DT's critics. I criticize the coaches for not putting him in a position to be successful. Because I have consistency in my opinions).

Also, why don't we try to keep this in the realm of sports. Constant referrals to what I may or may not do for a living really have nothing to do with this conversation.

What will your Benford excuse be after this year?

Did you even read my post? Where did I say YOU criticized DT? However, DT has taken full responsibility for his play...talk about making things up to avoid answering a simple question. What will your next excuse for not answering be? And how will you next avoid an answer to a direct question?

You really should be a liberal democrat...you seem to think people are not responsible for their own actions, you put words in other people's mouths and you never own up to anything. The references to real life are quite appropriate...seems you dodge them at every opportunity. Something perhaps about a stuck pig....once more you did not even venture an answer...so, let's try this again. At what age do you consider one in the least bit responsible for their own attitudes and actions? Try real hard to focus. This is perhaps the crux of the difference between us here...personal responsibility runs both ways from coaches to players from players to coaches...and yes, even on the mean streets of Arlington and FT. Worth...so, once more at what age, in your opinion, is one responsible for their own actions and attitudes?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You can lead a horse to water, kick it, whip it and coddle it, but sometimes it just won't drink. Then you should cut it loose if it doesn't comply. Would have loved to have seen your reation should a horse or two have been cut loose.

Kinda different when the stubborn horse you're talking about is Secretariat. And your stubborn horse just happened to be dominant and trainable prior to hiring the trainer who had problems with him.

I have a feeling we're going to miss that stubborn horse's contributions this year... REALLY BAD.

• Upvote 1

Did you even read my post? Where did I say YOU criticized DT? However, DT has taken full responsibility for his play...talk about making things up to avoid answering a simple question. What will your next excuse for not answering be? And how will you next avoid an answer to a direct question?

You really should be a liberal democrat...you seem to think people are not responsible for their own actions, you put words in other people's mouths and you never own up to anything. The references to real life are quite appropriate...seems you dodge them at every opportunity. Something perhaps about a stuck pig....once more you did not even venture an answer...so, let's try this again. At what age do you consider one in the least bit responsible for their own attitudes and actions? Try real hard to focus. This is perhaps the crux of the difference between us here...personal responsibility runs both ways from coaches to players from players to coaches...and yes, even on the mean streets of Arlington and FT. Worth...so, once more at what age, in your opinion, is one responsible for their own actions and attitudes?

At what age is Coach Benford responsible for underachieving with a talented team?

Answer: Benford is never responsible for anything. There will be more excuses from the AD after this year. You will be right there with them, as always.

Coaches are responsible for the success or failure of their teams. At most universities, that is.

And what actions are you talking about when it comes to players? Be specific. Keep it sports related.

Is it a coaches fault that he can't get a player to give him 100% when that player gave 100% the year before? Yes.

Is it the coaches fault when a very talented player regresses under his tutelage? Yes.

Is it a coach's fault when the ENTIRE team doesn't buy what he is selling? Yes.

• Upvote 2

Kinda different when the stubborn horse you're talking about is Secretariat. And your stubborn horse just happened to be dominant and trainable prior to hiring the trainer who had problems with him.

I have a feeling we're going to miss that stubborn horse's contributions this year... REALLY BAD.

Seems to me that I recall Secretariat doing what it took to be a winner...in spite of what said horse did or did not think of the current trainer. Talking solely about horses and all. I also seem to recall Secretariat being a triple crown winner. What did those other horses win that sulked, pouted and thought only of their next bucket of oats? Talking about horses just like you.

• Upvote 2

Seems to me that I recall Secretariat doing what it took to be a winner...in spite of what said horse did or did not think of the current trainer. Talking solely about horses and all. I also seem to recall Secretariat being a triple crown winner. What did those other horses win that sulked, pouted and thought only of their next bucket of oats? Talking about horses just like you.

Secretariat was never subjected to a binder that was going to make him a triple crown winner?

Just a guess.

If anyone ever interviews with RV, just mention Binder in every sentence. Find a way to work it in. Your job is assured. And you know you will be here at least 4 years, no matter the record.

• Upvote 1

mr_ed_tv_still_a_p.jpg

He may as well have been Mr. Ed to you, right? All talk. Watch what happens to UNT's interior this season.

• Upvote 1

At what age is Coach Benford responsible for underachieving with a talented team?

Answer: Benford is never responsible for anything. There will be more excuses from the AD after this year. You will be right there with them, as always.

Coaches are responsible for the success or failure of their teams. At most universities, that is.

And what actions are you talking about when it comes to players? Be specific. Keep it sports related.

Is it a coaches fault that he can't get a player to give him 100% when that player gave 100% the year before? Yes.

Is it the coaches fault when a very talented player regresses under his tutelage? Yes.

Is it a coach's fault when the ENTIRE team doesn't buy what he is selling? Yes.

. Roger Franklin was on the team as was Nikko and Clarke and Jacob, etc., etc. again, you throw everyone in the same pot to try to prove your faulty line of reasoning.

Ok, officially done with you in this area. You absolutely REFUSE to answer a direct question that might call your faulty stubborn reasoning to light. I have said in several posts that Benford definitely had a part to play in last season's disaster of a season...look it up if you will...but, you will not even answer a simple question posed to you on numerous occasions. I have never denied the role that Benford played. That is the fantasy position you seem to want to place everyone in who dares hold the players responsible for their own attitudes and actions. I think that fact from you here speaks volumes and is plenty enough for me to just drop it. We'll all see how it turns out soon enough.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

RV directly blamed the players. A completely bush league move from an A.D. And he did it to remove pressure from himself, which is even more concerning (how could he blame the coach that was his personal pick?).

What R.V. should have said is "Look, we are all disappointed by last year. The athletic department, including myself, Coach Benford, and everyone on his staff apologizes for an inexcusable season. That result is not acceptable and cannot be repeated at this university. I understand that. Coach Benford understands that, and steps are being taken to make sure last year's performance is not repeated."

Instead, we got good ole Ricochet Rick, shucking and jiving away from responsibility. But, hey, he has the right set of friends, so nothing is ever his fault. Don't believe me? Just look at his shiny new 10 year contract.

Talk about bad for recruiting. Some people here complain about what is said by posters here, yet our own AD is quick to publicly throw players under the bus at every turn.

mr_ed_tv_still_a_p.jpg

He may as well have been Mr. Ed to you, right? All talk. Watch what happens to UNT's interior this season.

Secretariat was all talk? Do you even know the history of that magnificent race horse?

Secretariat is now playing in the middle for UNT? Seriously? Thought we were talking horses here?

. Roger Franklin was on the team as was Nikko and Clarke and Jacob, etc., etc. again, you throw everyone in the same pot to try to prove your faulty line of reasoning.

Ok, officially done with you in this area. You absolutely REFUSE to answer a direct question that might call your faulty stubborn reasoning to light. I have said in several posts that Benford definitely had a part to play in last season's disaster of a season...look it up if you will...but, you will not even answer a simple question posed to you on numerous occasions. I have never denied the role that Benford played. That is the fantasy position you seem to want to place everyone in who dares hold the players responsible for their own attitudes and actions. I think that fact from you here speaks volumes and is plenty enough for me to just drop it. We'll all see how it turns out soon enough.

Doesn't matter how it turns out. Benford will be here for 4 years regardless. The AD will never accept responsibility and will keep blaming something. Probably injuries this year, since blaming players 2 years in a row may raise an eyebrow or 2. Of course, not with those that matter. Those friendships have been well cultivated.

Here is an interesting tidbit.... Walton is slotted as our starting shooting guard for the season according to ESPN insider.. It mentions his injury and how injuries just destroyed our season last season. it said Walton brings what we need (3 point shooting). He seems to be a big focus this season... He was the cover photo for the article.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3

Here is an interesting tidbit.... Walton is slotted as our starting shooting guard for the season according to ESPN insider.. It mentions his injury and how injuries just destroyed our season last season. it said Walton brings what we need (3 point shooting). He seems to be a big focus this season... He was the cover photo for the article.

Everyone remember this post.

When we are 0-6 in conference play, Andrew will turn on Walton viciously and blame him for the season.

Mark it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not mutually exclusive.

Until you can accept that maybe players need to be held accountable as well as coaches you will always have these types of issues when a player underperforms.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I believe you can hold players accountable in the Pros, but in the amateur world, player performance falls on the coach.