Interesting basketball tidbits

emmitt01

Apparently T-Mitch has (amazingly) stopped being a locker room cancer long enough to make some pretty nice plays for the Pistons...shocking to many I'm sure (KRAM I'm looking at you)

And our cast-off coach that many couldn't wait to get rid of is doing alright down there in Baton Rouge.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/thursday-afternoon-notes-football-hoops-tidbits.html/

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

Apparently T-Mitch has (amazingly) stopped being a locker room cancer long enough to make some pretty nice plays for the Pistons...shocking to many I'm sure (KRAM I'm looking at you)

And our cast-off coach that many couldn't wait to get rid of is doing alright down there in Baton Rouge.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/thursday-afternoon-notes-football-hoops-tidbits.html/

Not mutually exclusive.

Until you can accept that maybe players need to be held accountable as well as coaches you will always have these types of issues when a player underperforms.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There are some really great JJ articles out there (google Johnny Jones is a wizard) about the surprising record they posted last year and his recruiting triumphs so far.

They also had a cool "Back to the Future"/80s throwback midnight madness, where JJ showed up in a Delorean wearing his old uniform.

There are some really great JJ articles out there (google Johnny Jones is a wizard) about the surprising record they posted last year and his recruiting triumphs so far.

They also had a cool "Back to the Future"/80s throwback midnight madness, where JJ showed up in a Delorean wearing his old uniform.

We should've had someone in Baton Rouge there to set the flux-capacitor back to 2007.

• Upvote 1

Nothing would have kept Johnny Jones here over LSU. Nothing. Not love, money nor fame. That chapter is appreciated, but closed.

All we can do know is try not to look as the basketball ghost of Todd Dodge takes to the floor for another three seasons or so.

Question: If Todd Dodge was football Trilli, and Benford is basketball Dodge, have we come full circle in a bizarre coaching triangle?

I rent, do not own, and haven't put a suit on this calendar year.

• Upvote 2

Wow...do you just sit behind that desk of yours and think up incorrect and misleading statements all day? Good grief. You are the master of crap-ola these days. Not even worth saying anything else...the thread would get locked if I did.

The man crush continues! You really do need to get a new gig.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not mutually exclusive.

Until you can accept that maybe players need to be held accountable as well as coaches you will always have these types of issues when a player underperforms.

Indeed. Surprising that the same folks who believe basketball players are not responsible for their own performances and attitudes, jump all over football players when they believe they have underperformed or did I imagine those pre-season threads about DT?

• Upvote 4

Question: If Todd Dodge was football Trilli, and Benford is basketball Dodge, have we come full circle in a bizarre coaching triangle?

I was going with Trilli Part 2.

I really hope Benford has a decent turnaround and I can retire it. But as of right now, it's hard not to be discouraged.

I was going with Trilli Part 2.

I really hope Benford has a decent turnaround and I can retire it. But as of right now, it's hard not to be discouraged.

This season will be the defining season. Was last seasons gigantic drop-off because of locker-room cancer/s, or was it because of coaching?

If there's an immediate turnaround to C-USA challengers, several of us can eat some crow. If the spiral continues, several others can eat some crow.

This season will be the defining season. Was last seasons gigantic drop-off because of locker-room cancer/s, or was it because of coaching?

If there's an immediate turnaround to C-USA challengers, several of us can eat some crow. If the spiral continues, several others can eat some crow.

Even if there's a turnaround, it's not necessarily because there were cancers on last year's team. Benford had a huge learning curve since he'd never been the top guy before. Most first time coaches do. True, most aren't given a talent laden roster and F is up that badly, but still.

• Upvote 1

Even if there's a turnaround, it's not necessarily because there were cancers on last year's team. Benford had a huge learning curve since he'd never been the top guy before. Most first time coaches do. True, most aren't given a talent laden roster and F is up that badly, but still.

True, but I think a turnaround will prove that he can coach. Whereas another year of dumpster fires should prove the opposite. The focus is not so much on the players, but the coach.

• Upvote 1

Indeed. Surprising that the same folks who believe basketball players are not responsible for their own performances and attitudes, jump all over football players when they believe they have underperformed or did I imagine those pre-season threads about DT?

Well, that wouldn't be me. See, I hold coaches accountable for developing and mentoring young men to get the most of their ability. I choose not to blame 19 year old children for a coach that can't.

Funny, I could say the same thing vica-versa about you, thoroughly behind DT, yet willing to throw basketball players under the bus in a heart beat.

Here is an idea. Why don't we just hold the person getting paid well into the 6 figures accountable for what he is getting paid iwell into 6 figures to do, WIN!!

He didn't. Plus, players regressed under his tutelage.

Why don't we just stop making excuses.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, that wouldn't be me. See, I hold coaches accountable for developing and mentoring young men to get the most of their ability. I choose not to blame 19 year old children for a coach that can't.

Funny, I could say the same thing vica-versa about you, thoroughly behind DT, yet willing to throw basketball players under the bus in a heart beat.

Here is an idea. Why don't we just hold the person getting paid well into the 6 figures accountable for what he is getting paid iwell into 6 figures to do, WIN!!

agree with all, except for calling these guys "children".

• Upvote 1

Remind me again what a basketball scholarship full ride is worth...tuition, fees, books, housing, meals....

Here is another idea... Why don't we hold coaches AND players responsible for the roles they play and for the benefits they receive? Unique idea, huh?

Seems to me that everyone on a team has some responsibility to handle their duties to the best of their abilities. Or is that only true for some folks?

• Upvote 2

Remind me again what a basketball scholarship full ride is worth...tuition, fees, books, housing, meals....

Here is another idea... Why don't we hold coaches AND players responsible for the roles they play and for the benefits they receive? Unique idea, huh?

Seems to me that everyone on a team has some responsibility to handle their duties to the best of their abilities. Or is that only true for some folks?

No, that is the responsibility of THE COACH. He is responsible for holding players accountable for their class attendance and development. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE HIRED TO DO!!

You couldn't get to your keyboard fast enough to point out how Coach Mac had improved the football yeam's academics, yet you blame the players on the basketball team?

Again, responsibility lies with the grown ups that choose the young men who play here and are responsible for developing said young men.

I have held back when you have been critical of those who criticize DT, but the hypocrisy is there for everyone to see.

I get it. You feel you need to post a certain way for certain reasons, but man the excuses get really old after a while.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

No, that is the responsibility of THE COACH. He is responsible for holding players accountable for their class attendance and development. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE HIRED TO DO!!

You couldn't get to your keyboard fast enough to point out how Coach Mac had improved the football yeam's academics, yet you bland the players on the basketball team?

Again, responsibility lies with the grown ups that choose the young men who play here and are responsible for developing said young men.

I have held back when you have been critical of those who criticize DT, but the hypocrisy is there for everyone to see.

I get it. You feel you need to post a certain way for certain reasons, but man the excuses get really old after a while.

Better!

You couldn't get to your keyboard fast enough to point out how Coach Mac had improved the football yeam's academics, yet you bland the players on the basketball team?

Ok, so you seem to think these young men are "children"....quite an amazing stab at justification in the first place...at what age in your opinion, is a person responsible for his/her own attitude and actions? I mean, you have seen lots of kids...you know the 18-21 variety of "kids" during your law enforcement career. So, at what age does one have a responsibility for their own actions and attitudes? Perhaps you can answer that and we will be able to figure you out on this a tad better.

Make no mistake, if things improve credit will be given where credit is due (see the DT "crow eating" thread). If it continues the tailspin all you'll see is a new line of apologies trotted out. Gotta earn that merit badge!!