Sept. 30 C-USA Football Notebook

Harry

For the first and only time this season Saturday's schedule is made up of seven C-USA league games. Six of the seven will take place in the afternoon and six of the seven will be televised. Four of the matchups will be the first meeting between schools.

The day's action begins with UTSA visiting Marshall (2 p.m. EDT on Time Warner Texas). The Roadrunners will be looking to make it two straight wins on the road in conference play, but will have to do it against a Thundering Herd team that tops C-USA in total offense and total defense.

Florida Atlantic and UAB met as non-conference foes for four straight years from 2008-11 and after a one-year absence they meet again. This year's game is at Legion Field, where the teams have split the first two meetings at the historic venue, and is available on the C-USA Digital Network.

An East Division showdown between East Carolina and Middle Tennessee will take place at 2:30 p.m. CDT on FSN. The teams enter Saturday sitting atop the division with 1-0 league records as they meet for the first time.

There will be lots of green in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome when North Texas makes its first visit to play Tulane. The Mean Green are familiar with the Superdome, having played in four New Orleans Bowls. This will be the first conference game for North Texas as members of C-USA and Fox College Sports will carry the game live beginning at 2:30 p.m. CDT. Another West Division battle will take place at 2:30 p.m. CDT when Rice goes to Tulsa. The Owls will be out to avenge a tough 28-24 defeat in Tulsa last season in the conference opener for the Golden Hurricane. This game can be seen on CBS Sports Network.

FIU and Southern Miss will match up for the first time in the conference opener for both teams in Hattiesburg, Miss. The Panthers had a bye last week, while the Golden Eagles finished a challenging three-game road trip at Boise State.

The only night game of the week takes place in El Paso, where UTEP hosts Louisiana Tech in a West Division showdown. Both teams enter the game at 0-1 in league play, so a win is key for staying in the divisional race. This game will be seen on CBS Sports Network at 6:30 p.m. CDT.

NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN
North Texas was idle last week. On Sept. 21, the Mean Green were tied at 21-21 in the third quarter before No. 9 Georgia pulled away for a 45-21 victory. Senior QB Derek Thompson was 21-of-36 for 202 yards and a touchdown, his ninth consecutive game with at least one TD pass. Senior WR Brelan Chancellor returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown, the third TD return of his career. It was the first kickoff return for a TD by NT since Chancellor did it against Kansas State in 2010. Senior LB Will Wright has recorded an interception each of his last two outings.

TULANE GREEN WAVE
Tulane improved to 3-2 with a 31-14 win at Louisiana-Monroe. The Green Wave offense pounded out a season-high 253 rushing yards and the defense forced five turnovers courtesy of three fumble recoveries and a pair of interceptions. Tulane's defense also registered a season-high five sacks. Senior RB Orleans Darkwa led the running attack with 118 yards and a score on 17 carries while junior FB Robert Kelley had 76 yards and a TD on 16 totes. It was Darkwa's eighth career 100-yard game, but first since Nov. 10, 2011. Senior K Cairo Santos nailed a 56-yard field goal to open the scoring. It was his second kick of 50-plus this season and the fourth of his career. Santos is 4-of-5 from 50-plus for his career.

READ MORE: http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/093013aaf.html

NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN

North Texas was idle last week. On Sept. 21, the Mean Green were tied at 21-21 in the third quarter before No. 9 Georgia pulled away for a 45-21 victory. Senior QB Derek Thompson was 21-of-36 for 202 yards and a touchdown, his ninth consecutive game with at least one TD pass. Senior WR Brelan Chancellor returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown, the third TD return of his career. It was the first kickoff return for a TD by NT since Chancellor did it against Kansas State in 2010. Senior LB Will Wright has recorded an interception each of his last two outings.

Damn. I understand the goal of being aggressive and playing to win and all.. but.. I just wish we would have gone into Extreme Darrell Dickeytm mode and just sat on the ball for the rest of the 4th quarter and just basically ran the ball along with short passes to tight ends to milk the clock. Played the field position and stout defense to limit the points run Georgia went on.

To me it is kind of like when a basketball team goes on a 12-0 run. You call the time out and kill the momentum. This is all a perception game with recruits and media. If someone dials in and sees 34-21, they go "WOW look at that, UNT is the real deal now, they played #9 Georgia to within THIRTEEN POINTS". Instead we get "ehh, they got blown out at the end". My opinion is you want that headline on Sportscenter to be more dramatic.

But, hey - go for the win and all. More power to ya I guess.

• Upvote 1

Damn. I understand the goal of being aggressive and playing to win and all.. but.. I just wish we would have gone into Extreme Darrell Dickeytm mode and just sat on the ball for the rest of the 4th quarter and just basically ran the ball along with short passes to tight ends to milk the clock. Played the field position and stout defense to limit the points run Georgia went on.

To me it is kind of like when a basketball team goes on a 12-0 run. You call the time out and kill the momentum. This is all a perception game with recruits and media. If someone dials in and sees 34-21, they go "WOW look at that, UNT is the real deal now, they played #9 Georgia to within THIRTEEN POINTS". Instead we get "ehh, they got blown out at the end". My opinion is you want that headline on Sportscenter to be more dramatic.

But, hey - go for the win and all. More power to ya I guess.

So how did that 14 point loss to K St.work out with those 4 star recruits last year?

These games don't matter to recruits unless you win.

Been saying it for years, but only WINNING one of these games in a bowl winning of conference championship year will considerably affect UNT recruiting and attendance.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So how did that 14 point loss to K St.work out with those 4 star recruits last year?

Dear Debbie Downer,

I realize that a "near win" needs to be in the context of a winning season to go along with it. So you are ok with the 24 point give up at the end of the game then in the interest of "going for it"?

P.S. Who ever said anything about 4 star recruits anyway? Let's shoot for getting more 3 stars that can actually contribute. #realisticprogress?

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 2

Dear Debbie Downer,

I realize that a "near win" needs to be in the context of a winning season to go along with it. So you are ok with the 24 point give up at the end of the game then in the interest of "going for it"?

P.S. Who ever said anything about 4 star recruits anyway? Let's shoot for getting more 3 stars that can actually contribute. #realisticprogress?

It doesn't matter if you lose by 14 or 24. It's still a double digit loss that people will forget if we lose at Tulane.

I'm actually glad we played to win and not to keep the game close. That is actually a sign of progress in my book.

Telling your team you believe in them vs. telling your team you know they are going to lose? I'll take the first option.

Whose the Debbie downer now?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

It doesn't matter if you lose by 14 or 24. It's still a double digit loss that people will forget of we loss at Tulane.

I'm actually glad we played to win and not to keep the game close. That is actually a sign of progress in my book.

Telling your team you believe in them vs. telling your team you know they are going to lose? I'll take the first option.

Whose the Debbie downer now?

Don't agree that a 24 point loss is the same as a 14 point loss. Playing keep away doesn't tell your team that you know they are going to lose. It is simply a different game plan to keep it close until the end of the game and then go for it. We all saw the hype that was generated, I think a 24 point loss is just more demoralizing to the team and fans.

I'm right and you're wrong. IN YO FACE!

Oh I forgot to add. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stan R
  • Upvote 1

Don't agree that a 24 point loss is the same as a 14 point loss. Playing keep away doesn't tell your team that you know they are going to lose. It is simply a different game plan to keep it close until the end of the game and then go for it. We all saw the hype that was generated, I think a 24 point loss is just more demoralizing to the team and fans.

I'm right and you're wrong. IN YO FACE!

Oh I forgot to add. :rolleyes:

Ah, a fine display of the culture Coach Mac is fighting so hard to change.

If only Boise St. had played to keep it close against Oklahoma in that bowl game, Boise St. could still be a little, barely known former JUCO that wins sometimes in football.

Keep them expectations low... ;-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Interesting that I'm being accused of crapping on a thread when I'm advocating going for the win against a top 10 team.

Do y'all really hate yourselves that much?

You are either crapping on the program, or crapping on posters. Well done, crap pants.

Considering you like to bring this into every thread, it is no wonder we have so many would-be posters afraid to register. Which is a shame, we have a new generation of students graduating every year - potential fans - that might actually matter.

• Upvote 3

Been saying it for years, but only WINNING one of these games in a bowl winning of conference championship year will considerably affect UNT recruiting and attendance.

Not really taking anyone's side in this latest rhubarb but.............

In 1999, La Tech beat an Alabama Crimson Tide team which finished in the Top 5.....here was La Tech's W/L records for the next 4 seasons following their win over 'Bama.

2000: 3 & 8

2001: 7 & 5

2002: 4 & 8

2003: 5 & 7

All you who post decide how big that "Bama win was for our conference-mates from Ruston (albeit I'd take a win over the Crimson Tide no matter what happened during the next decade).

I think the key is to recruit good every year and to win, win, win, every year, too.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/1999/latech.shtml

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You are either crapping on the program, or crapping on posters. Well done, crap pants.

Considering you like to bring this into every thread, it is no wonder we have so many would-be posters afraid to register. Which is a shame, we have a new generation of students graduating every year - potential fans - that might actually matter.

Yep.

I am all powerful. Bow down before me.

Lol!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1