#Hit30K

Mean_Green09

This is a good idea. It is nothing short of disgraceful that we did not fill Apogee against Houston in our inaugural game.There seems to be a lot of students just hanging out around the dorms on game day. Why not have some sort of funky conveyance (a Mean Green Machine}, with a few band members and cheerleaders, drive around campus before games encouraging kids to hop aboard and go to the games? With a little creativity we might just be able to bring some new fans as diverse as physics majors and Brucelings in for their first game. We need to bring in people who may not take football seriously, but would still like to have a fun time on game day. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people among the 100,000 or so on Saturday at Memorial in Austin who really don't care about the game = just the spectacle. We need spectacle.

Great idea, Mean Green09. We need to get behind this promotion.

• Upvote 3

Honestly, what are they going to do? I ain't afraid of no chiding. Bring it on.

Set the goal high and stay with the 30k goal. Funny, this is the same board that criticizes North Texas for not setting lofty goals and now suggests lowering goals. Crazy.

The chiding certainly isn't something to be afraid of. Fans helping promote attendance is addition by addition, and to call it anything else is silly. Anything that we can do, spontaneous or planned out can only help this program.

Any thoughts on buying extra tickets and then donating them to high schools (bands or honor societies), children's groups (orphanages, boys and girls clubs, big brothers), or just buying a couple of extra seats and taking them to work as a giveaway?

I would like to see the athletic department pick a game and give season ticket holders extra seats to take to work (with the amount of NT alumni working in the area, most people probably work with some), the bingo club (for our retired GMG.com pals), or give to other friends who are alumni and get those who have become unattached back into the stadium. I want to say this has actually been done before...my gut says it was the MTSU game a couple of years ago in the rain, but if it was, the weather certainly didn't help. Now that the team is getting some attention it is the perfect time to do something like this.

• Upvote 2

Ammeded Wednesday AM, Sept. 26:

:hair: The SMU Mustang Mania promotions project as described in the DMagazine feature story "way down below" and that promotions efforts by SMU had a real bonafide & well planned infra-structure in place along with corporate sponsorships for it to have a real chance to succeed. We've never tried anything close to this at North Texas; most years we did not have the budget or the manpower (and still don't) to attempt giving such a promo program "the good ol' college try." :zoro:

SMU's Mustang Mania promotional program was not the reason SMU had a Death Penalty. As for North Texas? Take the good aspects from the below D Magazine article and just leave the bad & ugly behind. Again, Mustant Mania had nothing to do with what SMU HFC Ron Meyer and his staff would eventually do to create quite a mess that went all the way to the Texas Governor's Mansion.

Firstly, let's get something straight: North Texas does not have near enough personnel within the UNT Athletic Department to pull this kind of promotions program off at the moment and is another reason why our entire UNT constituency would have to work together to make something similar work for the Mean Green.

Many on this board will remember that SMU didn't half a$$ their promotions program but had a "can do" attitude from the git-go--nothing would stop that era's Mustang Maniacs from succeeding. They walked into a business owner's office and would not leave until that Business Owner did something for the Mustang Manica cause. There was no shortage being pro-active for what at that time was a losing SMU football program. They, too, were selling a dream. . (I do think they had a budget to get the ball rolling, though, which they say they didn't in the below DMagazine feature story..

Brad Thomas, ie, the SMU promotions guy working under SMU AD Russ Potts had a literal army of SMU supporters (students) who did all the grunt work for him, AD Potts and what would become a successful promotions program. Sorry, fellow alums, but such an army for UNT cannot be organized in the middle of this football season, but not that we shouldn't still try some things this Fall that could still work on the spur.

If we have good attendance at North Texas this Fall (or any Fall for that matter) its because the UNT student body would have been inspired to have come out en mass for said game; or to not have come out en mass for said game, ie, the Ball State game. Most games I feel we have good UNT student support. That seems contingent on what any new UNT freshmen class chooses to do since I feel that is the group who make or break any home game attendance at Apogee. Like in the article below, even "then" SMU AD says "eventually it's all about winnning" and we know at North Texas we've not had much of that lately but.........most seem to see a light at the end of our green-tinted tunnel. Still, most attendance at Apogee seems to be determined on if our UNT student body is inspired to come to a specific game.

Still, it seems we are literally at our UNT's students desires as "to want to support all this or not" mercy at this point especially with no other "built it" large numbers of butts in seats promos like Band Days, Scout Days, PeeWee Football, etc, etc, etc promotions on our future Apogee agenda. For those kind of promotions to be a success, it will take many leaders on the UNT campus going outside their usual pay scale roles as well as their usual Monday thru Friday job requirements and responsibilities plus............an army of UNT students, volunteers, UNT alums, Mean Green fans e from the UNT constituency.

:mom: IN CLOSING: In other words, what we need at UNT is more manpower and a promotions plan with a viable infra-structure of corporate support.........there are no shortage of ideas at North Texas. Our main shortage is in man-power. We have enough ideas coming from this message board to fill an ocean but we seem to have not been successful in getting this message across no matter what athletic regime has been in place in past decades, but even if our leaders had wanted to try a few of em' they still would not have had the budget and/or manpower to get to 1'st base.

:( Coach Mac on his radio show on Monday night was all but begging our fans to come out and see the Mean Green. He was preaching to a choir, but that choir are already the same ones who will already be at Apogee Stadium home games the rest of the season; yet Coach Mac said.............. "the Mean Green plus.........Brelan Chancellor--"he's a most special football player" that you need to come out and support............but between you and me..............what has been done since that Monday night radio show to insure that Brelan and his teammates will get more fans at Apogee for the MUTS game (which will draw well but might a "all out" Mean Green Mania promotions program have filled Apogee Stadium to the brim? I think our UNT athletic department does all that their limited promotions staff and lack of an army of manpower can do. This is still IMHO..........an entire UNT constituency problem--we cannot put all of this on UNT Athletics alone. If we want to blame anyone might we start by looking at our bathroom mirrors? :blink:

All of our intentions from this message board are good, but there is just no infra-structure in place to see much different at Apogee's turnstiles than what we have seen in the past. As the article below says: "Winning is essential to make any promos work long term."

And To the UNT student body: HELP! We can't do any of this w/o YOU!

Is Mustang Mania Horsefeathers?

Want a "pack em' in" football stadium promotions program for UNT? Well, roll up your sleeves like an entire army from SMU did as the link describes:

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/1978/10/01/SPORTS_Is_Mustang_Mania_Horsefeathers.aspx

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

What are the going to do? Take away your birthday? Putting a fire under their south end is a good thing. They should be doing a lot better. If they can't, fire those in charge and put people in place who have the energy and drive who can motivate and produce. Go Mean Green.

I must have missed the post which begat this response. Someone feel free to enlighten me on what that post was. Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Do you realize no one is going to read a post that is 300 words longer than Poe's The Tell Tale Heart?

Brevity is your friend, embrace it.

LOL!

Yes, probably my wordiest post EVER! Yet the DMagazine feature article on SMU's Mustang Mania is the real read of my post. I'd place a small wager that most UNT alums are not old enough to have seen it least of all read it so....

.........just ignore what I've posted if you have to choose between the 2. (I know we have a real busy readership on this message board, though, especially the ones presently in their offices and on their bosses nickel who spend most all day posting on it)? :rolleyes:

Yet for those wanting to know how a real (and successful) college football promotions program works will read the DMagazine part above albeit may be just 1 or 2 but they will still read it. And who knows, It just might be the "right" 1 or 2 who read it who would be the very ones to put some feets to a similar program at North Texas in the sweet by and by? I'd bet Coach McCarney and his football team would love for UNT to try something even close to a Mustang Mania kind of promotions program--no doubt they want to coach and play in front of larger crowds? (Still, even at my approaching older age, one can still dream, ya' know).

AND.............any bets on how many from the UNT staff have already read the DMagazine part of my Manifesto #339? Actually, it was my hope that 1 or 2 from that group would, because what is in the content of that feature article is sorta' the kind of thing that some of them do for a living at our alma mater?. :bling:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL! (Yes, the Dmagazine article is the real read on my post...

Then just post the link, not the entire article. Posting an entire article is misuse and could get Harry in trouble.

For those wanting to know how a real college promotions program works will albeit may be 1 or 2 but they will still read it.

Any bets on how many from the UNT staff already have?

If your goal is to have people read it you should cut down on the length, font and color changes, and cut down on the length. Yes, I said cut down the length twice. Study after study has show that the longer the message, the less likely it is to be read. Maybe, just maybe one or two people read that, but if it was 1/20 as long then 1 or 2 hundred might have read it.

Now if your goal is to just write copious amounts because it makes you feel empowered and not have anyone ever read it, I recommend a good Remington portable typewriter. Or tumblr.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Then just post the link, not the entire article. Posting an entire article is misuse and could get Harry in trouble.

If your goal is to have people read it you should cut down on the length, font and color changes, and cut down on the length. Yes, I said cut down the length twice. Study after study has show that the longer the message, the less likely it is to be read. Maybe, just maybe one or two people read that, but if it was 1/20 as long then 1 or 2 hundred might have read it.

Now if your goal is to just write copious amounts because it makes you feel empowered and not have anyone ever read it, I recommend a good Remington portable typewriter. Or tumblr.

Cerebus, you mind your business and I will mind mine. Deal?

Do I tell you what to post or to not post? Go eat some oatmeal, it will help you stay regular.

GMG!

PS:

If Harry needs to adjust or even remove this or any post he knows I will not object.

Yet for those who want to get serious about real college football promotions at North Texas I thought it an important article to read. Greatest thing about that program is that it first worked for a football program that had mostly been losing. I think we of North Texas can relate to that, right?

AND......one year (an announced) 6,000 fans show up or an SMU/Rice game in Dallas and then 2 years later, uh, 60,000 for an SMU/Rice game at Texas Stadium. To us who were around back in that day, that did get our attention at North Texas to say the least. UTSA has been getting national pub for what they are drawing at home and for damn sure not what they've won the last 3 years. That should show to many just how important those turnstile numbers are with even the national media. We have not received similar attention.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Cerebus, you mind your business and I will mind mine. Deal?

Do I tell you what to post or to not post? Go eat some oatmeal, it will help you stay regular.

GMG!

PS:

If Harry needs to adjust or even remove this or any post he knows I will not object.

Yet for those who want to get serious about real college football promotions at North Texas I thought it an important article to read. Greatest thing about that program is that it first worked for a football program that had mostly been losing. I think we of North Texas can relate to that, right?

AND......one year (an announced) 6,000 fans show up or an SMU/Rice game in Dallas and then 2 years later, uh, 60,000 for an SMU/Rice game at Texas Stadium. To us who were around back in that day, that did get our attention at North Texas to say the least. UTSA has been getting national pub for what they are drawing at home and for damn sure not what they've won the last 3 years. That should show to many just how important those turnstile numbers are with even the national media. We have not received similar attention.

Jim, my wife's degree is in journalism. She was the editor of her college paper for one semester. She has always said the same thing that Cerebus is advising you about........brevity is your friend. Especially if you are trying to get the attention of the maximum number of people.

My own style is proof of that. I manage to piss-off/annoy quite a few people, and I don't have to use many words to do it. Just the most effective ones........... B)

Jim, my wife's degree is in journalism. She was the editor of her college paper for one semester. She has always said the same thing that Cerebus is advising you about........brevity is your friend. Especially if you are trying to get the attention of the maximum number of people.

My own style is proof of that. I manage to piss-off/annoy quite a few people, and I don't have to use many words to do it. Just the most effective ones........... B)

My long time friend Buffalo Bill and even sometimes Fouts Field West Stands Wrastler'.....your advice well taken.

Actually, I think the one(s) I really wanted to read that epistle I have a big hunch already have. Those who want to try to get thru the whole thing do so at their own risk of falling asleep at their own keyboard and drowning in their own cup of coffee. :crazysmile:

Love Those Mean Green!.

BTW, Bill, I did take Cerebus advice and only left the DMagazine link on that post instead. My own words still a tad manifesto'esque, though. Some things I will do till the day I die I guess. :fpc:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 3