SMU football having '80s night: That's the punchline

Christopher Walker

I'm a greenblooded Texas sumbich' like many of you....I admit it.

Back when I was a younger UNT alum I used to kick SMU as much as I could and now I wish I could walk most of those comments back. (Something weird just seems to happen to you when you hit 60 years of age).

But I'll tell you what......... when I watched this singing of Varsity by the late Don Meredith my adam's apple got all tightened up and my eyes welled up, too.

This:

SMU gave us a 10 game home and home series which will give both schools a realistic chance to finally start a DFW area rivalry. I don't think they had to especially do that at all but still..............they did.

V-A-R-S-I-T-Y sung by one who was part of many of our's Texas culture; one that many of us loved as if he was an uncle or a even a 1'st cousin; one who praised the Mean Joe Greene North Texas team on a Monday Night Football telecast and said something to the effect of "Shore' glad my SMU team didn't have to play them."

This is V-A-R-S-I-T-Y and sung by the late, great Don Meredith of SMU.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To keep a MG theme to this thread...

After playing Plumm's video, I clicked on one of the next ones that came up. It was Cosell doing MNF halftime stats from a game in 1972. I left it playing the background when all of a sudden I hear (at 1:30) Cosell doing the Dallas-SanFran highlights and points out the SanFran "D", being typified by CEDRIC HARDMAN as he sacks Craig Morton. Nice!!