DT climbs the charts

Among NT QBs at the Division I-A/FBS level, Thompson is now:

Passing Attempts

1. Derek Thompson: 1,022

2. Steve Ramsey: 1,015

During the 1st Quarter of the Tulsa game, on 2nd and 5 from the Tulsa 20, Derek completed a 17 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor. The pass was the 1,000th of his career, making him and Steve Ramsey NT's only D-I/FBS-level quarterbacks to have throw 1,000 passes in a career.

During the 2nd Quarter of the Tulsa game, on a 2nd and 8 from the UNT 84, Derek completed a 3 yard pass to Drew Miller. The pass was the 1,016th of his career and broke Steve Ramsey's record for pass attempts by a D-I/FBS quarterback.

Passes Completed

1. Derek Thompson: 614

2. Giovanni Vizza: 532

During the Louisian Tech game, on a 3rd and 5 from the Louisiana Tech 38, Derek Thompson completed a 35 yard pass to Darnell Smith to become UNT's all-time leader in completed passes among I-A/FBS-level quarterbacks.

During the Tulsa game, on a 2nd and 8 from the Tulsa 38, Derek completed a 13 yard pass to Drew Miller. The pass was the 600th completion of his career. No other D-I/FBS quarterback in North Texas history has completed 600 passes.

Passing Efficiency

1. Scott Hall: 132.26

2. Derek Thompson: 125.8

3. Riley Dodge: 125.71

Touchdown Passes

1. Steve Ramsey: 69

2. Scott Hall: 50

3. Derek Thompson: 40

Passing Yards

1. Derek Thompson: 7,191

2. Steve Ramsey: 7,076

During the fourth quarter of the UTSA game, on 1st and 10 from the UTSA 41, Derek completed a 14 yard pass to Darnell Smith to become only the second I-A/FBS quarterback to throw for 7,000 yards.

During the first quarter of the Tulsa game, on 2nd and 20 from the UNT 28, Derek completed a 7 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to break Steve Ramsey's career passing yards record for NT D-I/FBS-level quarterbacks.

Completion Percentage

1. Riley Dodge: 64.7%

2. Jordan Case: 61.6%

3. Giovanni Vizza: 60.7%

4. Derek Thompson: 60.4%

Career 200 Yard Passing Games

1. Steve Ramsey: 20

2. Derek Thompson: 19 (can tie Ramsey for Career 200 Yard Passing Game if he passes for 200 yards during the bowl game)

Career 300 Yard Passing Games

1. Derek Thompson: 7

2. Steve Ramsey: 6

During the 3rd Quarter, on a 3rd and 10 from the Southern Miss 39, Derek Thompson completed a 14 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to become UNT's all-time leader in 300 yard passing games among Divison I-A/FBS quarterbacks.

Career Total Offense (Passing + Rushing)

1. Derek Thompson: 7,493

2. Steve Ramsey: 6,568

During the 1st Quarter, on a 3rd and 8 from the Southern Miss 44, Derek Thompson completed a 15 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to become UNT's all-time total offense leader among Division I-A/FBS quarterbacks.

During the 4th Quarter, on a 2nd and 9 from the UTEP 42, Derek Thompson threw a touchdown pass to Carlos Harris to become UNT's first I-A/FBS quarterback to surpass 7,000 career yards in total offense.

Until the touchdown strike to Harris to put him over 7,000 yards in total offense, all of Derek Thompson's record setting plays this season had come on 3rd down with 5 or more yards to go.

Derek needs only seven more yards passing and/or rushing to become North Texas' only D-I/FBS-level quarterback to have more than 7,500 yard of total offense in a career.

I know a lot of us like to get so irritated with DT but dang. The guy has been steady and consistent with not a lot of talent around him and continues to make plays despite all the noise surrounding him his entire career. Anyone think he'll make a camp next year? I do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know a lot of us like to get so irritated with DT but dang. The guy has been steady and consistent with not a lot of talent around him and continues to make plays despite all the noise surrounding him his entire career. Anyone think he'll make a camp next year? I do.

I'm interested in seeing how hard he can still throw a baseball after he's done? There might be a try-out camp in his future? You never know?

Rick

I like that his attempt that broke the record was the 28-yarder when things seemed to get clicking in that rout. I also dig the fact that he's #2 in efficiency even though he's #4 in completion %. I really think that even though he has had his ups and downs, Derek has gotten the momentum needed for the returners on offense to help his replacement develop really well. Great job by a tough-as-balls member of our North Texas community.

No, he isn't accurate enough to play in the NFL, same knock Tebow had against him and Tebow was far more productive against better competition in college.

No, he isn't accurate enough to play in the NFL, same knock Tebow had against him and Tebow was far more productive against better competition in college.

Tebow's the right comparison. They have the same delivery. Long windup throws where they bring the ball down by their waist before they let go. This long windup is influenced by having a pitching background and it makes it very hard to throw a tight spiral.

The less tight your spiral is, the harder it is to project your throw where you want it and be accurate. Didn't prevent them from being productive in college.

• 5 weeks later...

Among NT QBs at the Division I-A/FBS level, Thompson is now:

Passing Attempts

1. Derek Thompson: 1,052

2. Steve Ramsey: 1,015

During the 1st Quarter of the Tulsa game, on 2nd and 5 from the Tulsa 20, Derek completed a 17 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor. The pass was the 1,000th of his career, making him and Steve Ramsey NT's only D-I/FBS-level quarterbacks to have throw 1,000 passes in a career.

During the 2nd Quarter of the Tulsa game, on a 2nd and 8 from the UNT 84, Derek completed a 3 yard pass to Drew Miller. The pass was the 1,016th of his career and broke Steve Ramsey's record for pass attempts by a D-I/FBS quarterback.

Passes Completed

1. Derek Thompson: 635

2. Giovanni Vizza: 532

During the Louisian Tech game, on a 3rd and 5 from the Louisiana Tech 38, Derek Thompson completed a 35 yard pass to Darnell Smith to become UNT's all-time leader in completed passes among I-A/FBS-level quarterbacks.

During the Tulsa game, on a 2nd and 8 from the Tulsa 38, Derek completed a 13 yard pass to Drew Miller. The pass was the 600th completion of his career. No other D-I/FBS quarterback in North Texas history has completed 600 passes.

Passing Efficiency

1. Scott Hall: 132.26

2. Derek Thompson: 125.8

3. Riley Dodge: 125.71

Touchdown Passes

1. Steve Ramsey: 69

2. Scott Hall: 50

3. Derek Thompson: 42

Passing Yards

1. Derek Thompson: 7,447

2. Steve Ramsey: 7,076

During the fourth quarter of the UTSA game, on 1st and 10 from the UTSA 41, Derek completed a 14 yard pass to Darnell Smith to become only the second I-A/FBS quarterback to throw for 7,000 yards.

During the first quarter of the Tulsa game, on 2nd and 20 from the UNT 28, Derek completed a 7 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to break Steve Ramsey's career passing yards record for NT D-I/FBS-level quarterbacks.

Completion Percentage

1. Riley Dodge: 64.7%

2. Jordan Case: 61.6%

3. Giovanni Vizza: 60.7%

4. Derek Thompson: 60.4%

Career 200 Yard Passing Games

1. Derek Thompson: 20

1. Steve Ramsey: 20

During the 3rd Quarter of the Heart of Dallas Bowl, on a 1st and 10 from the UNLV 44, Derek completed a nine yard pass to Drew Miller to give him 200 yard passing on the day. The 200 yard passing game tied him with Steve Ramsey for the most 200+ yard passing games by a North Texas I-A/FBS quarterback with 20.

Career 300 Yard Passing Games

1. Derek Thompson: 7

2. Steve Ramsey: 6

During the 3rd Quarter, on a 3rd and 10 from the Southern Miss 39, Derek Thompson completed a 14 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to become UNT's all-time leader in 300 yard passing games among Divison I-A/FBS quarterbacks.

Career Total Offense (Passing + Rushing)

1. Derek Thompson: 7,751

2. Steve Ramsey: 6,568

During the 1st Quarter, on a 3rd and 8 from the Southern Miss 44, Derek Thompson completed a 15 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor to become UNT's all-time total offense leader among Division I-A/FBS quarterbacks.

During the 4th Quarter, on a 2nd and 9 from the UTEP 42, Derek Thompson threw a touchdown pass to Carlos Harris to become UNT's first I-A/FBS quarterback to surpass 7,000 career yards in total offense.

Until the touchdown strike to Harris to put him over 7,000 yards in total offense, all of Derek Thompson's record setting plays this season had come on 3rd down with 5 or more yards to go.

On the very first play of the Heart of Dallas Bowl, Derek completed a 19 yard pass to Brelan Chancellor. The play gave him more than 7,500 yards of total offense for his career. No other I-A/FBS quarterback in North Texas history has 7,500 yards of total offense.