UNT's Eli Young Band: Friday AM on Fox Concert Series

None taken, Mike. None at all...doubt I could ever be offensded by you.

But just imagine my surprise to open this post and see that as an Alumni Association that we are not allowed to plan and hold events on the UNT campus...and that as President I have no authority to talk to folks like the Eli Young Band about such things for the Alumni Association. Gosh...who knew? I am just sorry to waste my time because all I guess I had to do was to ask you what the Association can and cannot do, and my job would be so very much easier! When we next meet would you be so kind as to bring me a list of those things the Association can and cannot do so we can save all this time and energy in looking to plan such events for Apogee and other places around campus...and off campus fot that matter? Man, what a time saver that will be. I had no clue you held the key to this...

I guess I was way over the line to open that line of conversation with the band members themselevs while at Jerry World to present them their Distinguished Young Alumni Award. Silly me...seemed the perfect time to have them and their manager around and available for the initial discussion and gauge of interest. Oh well, should have run it by you first I guess.

Thanks for enlightening me as to what my job description says regarding my duties and responsibilities. Always good to hear from those in the know about such things.

See you on the 31st. I'll bring pen and paper. :thumbsu::goodjob::zoro:

35u8lj.jpg

• Upvote 2

Point is, Mark, that it shouldn't be left to you to do.

Jeez, don't get so butthurt.

Point is, Mike...that is not what you said...if you had said that I would have probably responded with...You know Mike I agree, but why not? Why shouldn't the Alumni Association plan some great events at Apogee for its Alums and students? Or at least try by starting to open the lines of communication for such things?

You know, Willie Nelson played a concert in the Super Pit once and the University had no hand in planning nor executing that concert. Happens....I mention that as I have an autographed poster from that event from Willie...it is Hayden Fry green too! Priceless! It was a beneffit for the Center for Behavorial Studies as I recall....put on by Lewis and Rex Cauble. Yep...those guys...

Say what you mean...seems you got your hand caught in the cookie jar here and now want to claim a different context. It's OK, like I said no offense taken, and just for your edification, my butt feels just fine...thank you very much! :thumbsu:

• Downvote 1

We will talk.

You were not the first to have this idea by a long stretch with this band. Lets just say there wasn't a receptive attitude from the powers that be.

In this case the Alumni Association would be the "Powers that Be" and we would be very receptive...never claimed to be the first and will probably not be the last. Who cares? Looking forward to our chat. See you on the 17th big guy!

Point is, Mike...that is not what you said...if you had said that I would have probably responded with...You know Mike I agree, but why not? Why shouldn't the Alumni Association plan some great events at Apogee for its Alums and students? Or at least try by starting to open the lines of communication for such things?

You know, Willie Nelson played a concert in the Super Pit once and the University had no hand in planning nor executing that concert. Happens....I mention that as I have an autographed poster from that event from Willie...it is Hayden Fry green too! Priceless! It was a beneffit for the Center for Behavorial Studies as I recall....put on by Lewis and Rex Cauble. Yep...those guys...

Say what you mean...seems you got your hand caught in the cookie jar here and now want to claim a different context. It's OK, like I said no offense taken, and just for your edification, my butt feels just fine...thank you very much! :thumbsu:

Ah, yes, Lewis and Rex Cauble :) Remind me to tell you at a tailgate, Mark, if I see you at a tailgate about the time when former UNT Athletic Dept. SID Doug Ray and I had a meeting with Rex C. when he had his offices on Denton's University Drive. Man O man, the photos of some of his famous friends that he had on his office wall was quite impressive. Even more impressive were the character witnesses his lawyer had lined up for his trial over in Tyler (?) as I recall.

From The Mean Green Club Archives:

Were any of you at Rex Cauble's ranch arena for that Mean Green Club dinner a particular evening back in the dark ages? Mr. Cauble (per my request) even took me over to a horse stall and introduced myself and a couple others to the famous Cutter Bill who was studding out during his last days. Hey newbies! Of course, Cutter Bill was a famous cutting horse. :)A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse, of course; That is, of course, unless the horse Is the famous Mr. Ed .............Cutter Bill! Ol' Cutter Bill had to have a horse'y kind of smile on his face upon his passing......of course.

Yes, Harry, it may be getting closer to that time of moving the thread since here I am reminiscing (again), but (of course) it was our UNT Alum Assoc. President who brought up the name of Rex Cauble here! :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Ah, yes, Lewis and Rex Cauble :) Remind me to tell you at a tailgate, Mark, if I see you at a tailgate about the time when former UNT Athletic Dept. SID Doug Ray and I had a meeting with Rex C. when he had his offices on Denton's University Drive. Man O man, the photos of some of his famous friends that he had on his office wall was quite impressive. Even more impressive were the character witnesses his lawyer had lined up for his trial over in Tyler (?) as I recall.

From The Mean Green Club Archives:

Were any of you at Rex Cauble's ranch arena for that Mean Green Club dinner a particular evening back in the dark ages? Mr. Cauble (per my request) even took me over to a horse stall and introduced myself and a couple others to the famous Cutter Bill who was studding out during his last days. Hey newbies! Of course, Cutter Bill was a famous cutting horse. :)A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse, of course; That is, of course, unless the horse Is the famous Mr. Ed .............Cutter Bill! Ol' Cutter Bill had to have a horse'y kind of smile on his face upon his passing......of course.

Yes, Harry, it may be getting closer to that time of moving the thread since here I am reminiscing (again), but (of course) it was our UNT Alum Assoc. President who brought up the name of Rex Cauble here! :)

GMG!

Jim...indeed I was at that dinner as were my mother and father. In fact, my father designed and built that arena for Rex Cauble, and I even testified both in New York City and in Beaumont at Rex Cauble's drug smuggling grand juries! Now, that's a story to tell! Rex Cauble was the Godfather to one of our adopted kids! That, too, a long story. I have been in the office you describe so many times that I can see it perfectly right now. I worked at Western State bank in my first banking gig...thus, the reason I had to testify before those grand juries. Rex spent many a Christmas moring at Susan and my small apt. on Eagle Drive back in the day. Yep...the stories we can tell. Would love to meet up with you and have a Rex Cauble (and Lewis Cauble) story session. Trust me, I could write a book! Met him in 1965 when he was just moving to Denton from Crockett, Texas and knew him until the day he passed away. That's how I got to know Hayden Fry...through Rex and the bank. Was in a bank office at Western on University Drive when Hayden came in and told us he was leaving UNT (and why) before he even told UNT officials...he sat in the office and scribbled out that stylized Hawkeye that very day as we sat and chatted with him....oh, the stories to tell! You brought back a lot of memories here, Plummer, some very good, some not so good!

Edited by KRAM1