UNT's Eli Young Band: Friday AM on Fox Concert Series

Move this thread any time, moderators, but some of our UNT rich and famous will be on Fox's concert series tomorrow morning, ie, 8/9/13

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/August/08Eli_Young_Band_To_Perform_Live_on_TV_Tomorrow.shtml

PS: Wouldn't it be nice to have them at Apogee for a post game concert?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if anyone talked directly to the band members about such a thing.

When would they have that opportunity?

Maybe when we let them use Apogee for a music video?

I have.

They already have used Apogee for a music video

Hey, UNT'crazy'727....don't know why :)but one of their platinum sellers "Crazy Girl" is still one of my favorites of this group.

On the the YouTube video below it has received over 15 million bytes (or is it hits)?

DJ'ing wedding receptions I do get lots of requests for that E.Y.B. song and rarely do I miss an opportunity in announcing pre or post song telling the crowd what college town this group met and then all graduated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HwFtdVTfM

I know.

We're they approached by anyone other than Kram?

LOL...very funny!

You asked if anyone had..as the President of the UNT Alumni Association it was sort of an official ask! Ha! If you want to know what they said see me in person. No sense posting it here...the usual suspects would make some inane comment about it or some limerick would appear. Sorry if I did not meet your expectations of who talked to them, but you did not qualify your question. I thought the answer I got was pretty darn good. As with many things, there is much more to it than meets the eye as they were kind enough to explain in person.

Yes, they do love UNT and often give UNT a shout out during their concert appearances. They are great and appropriate to honor with our Distinguished Young Alumni Award. I was honored to be able to present the award to them prior to their concert at Cowboys Stadium (AT&T Stadium now however).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OK now......... enuf' is enuf' is enuf' already. :(

THIS ....................can we have a moratorium until Game Day, ie, August 31'st for all posters on this board, ie, North Texas fans/grads/alums, etc, to stop taking pot shots, cynical remarks, sarcastic statements, etc, etc, etc, aimed at each other? I know most all of this has bred itself from a culture of losing, but good gosh, most of us have proud mamas (whether alive or not) who taught us to be more respectful, and especially if we're at the same dinner table? :)

KRAM1 is president of the UNT Alumnus Assocation and deserves better on this board whether he has pissed you off or not; and we've all pissed each other off from time to time but hows bout' a "no hitting below the belt at fellow "known" UNT alums and Mean Green fans until Game Day in a few weeks? Can we at least give it a shot? How many Aggies spend time kicking each other around? Few that I have ever known and their unique solidarity has accomplished some pretty darn great things academically and athletically. I know a couple of Aggies that this Johnny Football thing is about to kill them and one of them from Nacogdoches used my wireless mic system at an auction he served as auctioneer last Friday evening in Decatur.

Peace?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I don't think some posters on this forum are aware of the time constraints on recording artists once they get their chance. When my wife and I realized how insane it was how many of our friends from UNT were developing pretty successful music careers, we thought it would be fun to count them. ELEVEN. Eleven of our friends from UNT have record deals, some you've heard of like EYB and Norah and some you probably haven't like Johann Wagner and Dan Paul Roberts. But even those who aren't multi-platinum selling artists with Grammys still have to tour, spend time in the studio, attend writers' retreats, entertain interviews, and pretty much anything else their label - big or small - asks them to do. When all of that is covered, they get a little bit of time for personal travel including visiting family and friends and yes, stopping by their alma mater. So if they can't fit in specific dates - or months - or whole seasons - due to those commitments, there's a pretty good reason. We're still lucky to have them.

And there are probably only one or two of you who were aware at the time that I was very close to getting a similar opportunity a couple of times, and in an interview with producers during one of those periods, when the subject came up, they mentioned that I would have to put off finishing my college degree if I was given the contract. I told them I was fine with that if it meant being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That kind of opportunity is what got me to North Texas, and though I didn't get the record deal, I kind of wonder if some of you would be this hard on me for jumping at the chance if I'd made it one step further and had a similarly bizarre schedule.

How can you fault members of your own community for doing well in something just because their successes require them to miss events that they would otherwise probably love to be a part of? I'm not bitter about not getting the kind of opportunities that my friends have. I love the fact that I spent so much time around such talented people, and they are probably a big part of why I'm a much better singer and performer now than I was when big opportunities were looming. Our North Texas community makes us all better, if we let it. Why should we have anything but pride for our fellow North Texans who provide so much to our community, even if their success requires that they not be present whenever we say so?

LOL...very funny!

You asked if anyone had..as the President of the UNT Alumni Association it was sort of an official ask! Ha! If you want to know what they said see me in person. No sense posting it here...the usual suspects would make some inane comment about it or some limerick would appear. Sorry if I did not meet your expectations of who talked to them, but you did not qualify your question. I thought the answer I got was pretty darn good. As with many things, there is much more to it than meets the eye as they were kind enough to explain in person.

Yes, they do love UNT and often give UNT a shout out during their concert appearances. They are great and appropriate to honor with our Distinguished Young Alumni Award. I was honored to be able to present the award to them prior to their concert at Cowboys Stadium (AT&T Stadium now however).

No offense, Mark, but I don't think it is in the job description of the President of the Alumni Associatoon to schedule concerts at Apogee.

Also, I think the request would mean more if it came from a university official (maybe even the university President).

We do need to talk about this on Aug 31.

I believe the Eli Young Band will be performing their All American concert on Fox and Friends around 7:00 AM this morning. I stand to be corrected on that timeline, though.

GMG!

I caught the Eli Young Band on Fox this morning and was impressed with the group. Very tight and musically sound.

It was suggested to the mods in the initial post to move this anytime but others seemed to want to read about some of our fellow alums

success story but still......

....if the subject of 4 UNT graduates who on the most watched cable news TV station in the USA just this morning mentioned that they

had all 4 met at "the University of North Texas" and their saying that to one of the Fox interviewers (Steve Doocy) who has a daughter attending SMU (hee--hee); anyhow, if all this is making 2 of you just a bit too tense(?), well, then......this...

Don't read anymore of this thread...............................no one has a gun aimed at your temple making you do so plus..... there are about 100 other threads

on the 4 previous pages of GMG.com you can fill your down time with, instead. Jeez-Louise...

To the moderators: Still move this thread anytime you deem necessary.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

No offense, Mark, but I don't think it is in the job description of the President of the Alumni Associatoon to schedule concerts at Apogee.

Also, I think the request would mean more if it came from a university official (maybe even the university President).

We do need to talk about this on Aug 31.

None taken, Mike. None at all...doubt I could ever be offensded by you.

But just imagine my surprise to open this post and see that as an Alumni Association that we are not allowed to plan and hold events on the UNT campus...and that as President I have no authority to talk to folks like the Eli Young Band about such things for the Alumni Association. Gosh...who knew? I am just sorry to waste my time because all I guess I had to do was to ask you what the Association can and cannot do, and my job would be so very much easier! When we next meet would you be so kind as to bring me a list of those things the Association can and cannot do so we can save all this time and energy in looking to plan such events for Apogee and other places around campus...and off campus fot that matter? Man, what a time saver that will be. I had no clue you held the key to this...

I guess I was way over the line to open that line of conversation with the band members themselevs while at Jerry World to present them their Distinguished Young Alumni Award. Silly me...seemed the perfect time to have them and their manager around and available for the initial discussion and gauge of interest. Oh well, should have run it by you first I guess.

Thanks for enlightening me as to what my job description says regarding my duties and responsibilities. Always good to hear from those in the know about such things.

See you on the 31st. I'll bring pen and paper. :thumbsu::goodjob::zoro:

• Downvote 1

None taken, Mike. None at all...doubt I could ever be offensded by you.

But just imagine my surprise to open this post and see that as an Alumni Association that we are not allowed to plan and hold events on the UNT campus...and that as President I have no authority to talk to folks like the Eli Young Band about such things for the Alumni Association. Gosh...who knew? I am just sorry to waste my time because all I guess I had to do was to ask you what the Association can and cannot do, and my job would be so very much easier! When we next meet would you be so kind as to bring me a list of those things the Association can and cannot do so we can save all this time and energy in looking to plan such events for Apogee and other places around campus...and off campus fot that matter? Man, what a time saver that will be. I had no clue you held the key to this...

I guess I was way over the line to open that line of conversation with the band members themselevs while at Jerry World to present them their Distinguished Young Alumni Award. Silly me...seemed the perfect time to have them and their manager around and available for the initial discussion and gauge of interest. Oh well, should have run it by you first I guess.

Thanks for enlightening me as to what my job description says regarding my duties and responsibilities. Always good to hear from those in the know about such things.

See you on the 31st. I'll bring pen and paper. :thumbsu::goodjob::zoro:

Point is, Mark, that it shouldn't be left to you to do.

Jeez, don't get so butthurt.