Hot Seat rankings of all Texas DI football head coaches

NT03

I love the sentence "The proof is in the pudding, though, and another step back this year could cost him his job. Call it possible but unlikely."

We'd like to think we would dump him if things didn't turn around, but we need a thorough 6 years to find out...

• Upvote 1

I love the sentence "The proof is in the pudding, though, and another step back this year could cost him his job. Call it possible but unlikely."

We'd like to think we would dump him if things didn't turn around, but we need a thorough 6 years to find out...

Don't kid yourself. We need a "get closer to the end of the contract so we don't have to pay off the remaining if we fire him" to find out.

It's what we do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's not getting six years. If he turns in a season with 4 wins or less, it won't just be McCarney on the hot seat next year but Rick Villarreal as well. If the Mean Green take a big step back and finish with 1 or 2 wins, it will be very difficult to justify not making a change after this season. I see the job secruity of McCarney and the AD going in tandem. Villarreal made one of the worst hires in college football history with Todd Dodge and it decimated the program. He brings in a veteran coach with experience in Dan McCarney. If it doesn't work out, I don't see our current AD getting a chance to hire another head coach.

• Upvote 6

North Texas spent too many years with our teacher's college crowd on campus who seemed to wield more mis-directed influence than a bad CEO working for Enron as they even seemed to influence all these "not another Hayden Fry" kind of hires post-Fry's leaving for the Big 10 and Iowa. (Fry upset their little "we don't have to do much up to keep our jobs world" in ways that almost laughable as you look back thru the decades). Some of you fellow Old Gun Alums know exactly what I'm talking about here.

You see some with goverment jobs (and trust me when you work for a public school or university you have a goverment job); but, too many of that gropu have way too much power, way too much influence and hardly.............no accountability whatsover. It blows the mind how much non-accountability (Sort of what's happening now with the IRS-gestopo in the USA; that is, until We The People have had enough of it and visually like our Founding Fathers did show them in most unforgettable ways how much we have had enough). YET.........How have all those "non Fry" hires worked out for the leftover J.C Matthews crowd in Denton.... least of all us? And trust me, we are least of all in all this and some of you have said as much with your posts with just some of the shabby customer service skills you have been the recipients of.

Like him or not, we desperately need Coach McCarney to break the "not another Fry hire" mold and put together a very impressive string a winning seasons unseen in Denton since his main role model whose very picture adorns his HFC's office wall left Denton for his own alma mater.

I've seen 4 winning seasons in a row. Most of you on this board have only seen 3....quite frankly, we all deserve better, and if for some reason Coach Mac doesn't cut the mustard, we need someone else to hire our next one. And (again) for what it's worth...isn't this how it would be done in the real world of business compared to how those with seemed protection from those ivory tower covered walls have done it in Denton and with our having years of W/L records to prove the point?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

He's not getting six years. If he turns in a season with 4 wins or less, it won't just be McCarney on the hot seat next year but Rick Villarreal as well. If the Mean Green take a big step back and finish with 1 or 2 wins, it will be very difficult to justify not making a change after this season. I see the job secruity of McCarney and the AD going in tandem. Villarreal made one of the worst hires in college football history with Todd Dodge and it decimated the program. He brings in a veteran coach with experience in Dan McCarney. If it doesn't work out, I don't see our current AD getting a chance to hire another head coach.

I completely agree, just a little sarcasm to be thrown around.

Hopefully this is all irrelevant though, because McCarney will take us to the promise land.

• Upvote 1

North Texas spent too many years with our teacher's college crowd on campus who seemed to wield more mis-directed influence than a bad CEO working for Enron as they even seemed to influence all these "not another Hayden Fry" kind of hires post-Fry's leaving for the Big 10 and Iowa. (Fry upset their little "we don't have to do much up to keep our jobs world" in ways that almost laughable as you look back thru the decades). Some of you fellow Old Gun Alums know exactly what I'm talking about here.

You see some with goverment jobs (and trust me when you work for a public school or university you have a goverment job); but, too many of that gropu have way too much power, way too much influence and hardly.............no accountability whatsover. It blows the mind how much non-accountability (Sort of what's happening now with the IRS-gestopo in the USA; that is, until We The People have had enough of it and visually like our Founding Fathers did show them in most unforgettable ways how much we have had enough). YET.........How have all those "non Fry" hires worked out for the leftover J.C Matthews crowd in Denton.... least of all us? And trust me, we are least of all in all this and some of you have said as much with your posts with just some of the shabby customer service skills you have been the recipients of.

Like him or not, we desperately need Coach McCarney to break the "not another Fry hire" mold and put together a very impressive string a winning seasons unseen in Denton since his main role model whose very picture adorns his HFC's office wall left Denton for his own alma mater.

I've seen 4 winning seasons in a row. Most of you on this board have only seen 3....quite frankly, we all deserve better, and if for some reason Coach Mac doesn't cut the mustard, we need someone else to hire our next one. And (again) for what it's worth...isn't this how it would be done in the real world of business compared to how those with seemed protection from those ivory tower covered walls have done it in Denton and with our having years of W/L records to prove the point?

GMG!

That may be the most convoluted, poorly structured, syntax and logic defying letter I have seen on this board. I will let Gestopo and grupo pass. (typos happen}. I can, certainly understand, however, the writer's animosity toward teachers . It is quite obvious, after all, that he paid little attention to his English professors.

I would suggest an emergency copy of Strunk and White as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Gotta admit I'm kinda worried that McCarney will become to us what Price did with UTEP.

The Rose Bowl appearances, the Coach of the Year....he injected some excitement in the program with his credentials, and had a few good moments that the fanbase hung onto...ultimately never got over the hump into the year-in-and-out 8+ win seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That may be the most convoluted, poorly structured, syntax and logic defying letter I have seen on this board. I will let Gestopo and grupo pass. (typos happen}. I can, certainly understand, however, the writer's animosity toward teachers . It is quite obvious, after all, that he paid little attention to his English professors.

I would suggest an emergency copy of Strunk and White as quickly as possible.

Come on ragpicker, I've had many more posts just as convuluted as the one you critiqued! How long you been on this messge board again? (Better yet, how long you been a Mean Green fan)?

So.........in my best Monty Python'esqe way I ask you this, Sir Ragpicker: "Is that all you've got.....you pansy?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

How about......"PMG, your posts are always way too damn long-winded because all know that...... brevity is the soul of wit................and like I haven't been hammered with that phrase a couple dozen times or more the last dozen plus years I've been a member of this forum? :hammer:

So here you go, and your new GMG.com knighted name is.........Sir Lord Nitpicker...........and go ahead.....just keep chopping me up in little pieces! :wacko: (And for heaven's sake don't ya' dare look at my new avatar pic or signature, either). :) But as always...................GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Yo, Poll Tax Eagle, I have been a Mean Green fan long before we were the Mean Green. I was, in fact, a North Texas fan back when we still paid a poll tax (they were $3.75). Incidentally I would not know an avatar from a jelly jar and would certainly have no interest in yours whatever it is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sir Nitpicker, you are running out of productive posts and sensible responses. So since this is my last response to anything you will ever posts, care to share with the rest of GMG.com what your agenda truly is other than being the self-appointed Grammar Patrol ? Bye...

ragpicker: REMOVED!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Sir Nitpicker, you are running out of productive posts and sensible responses. So since this is my last response to anything you will ever posts, care to share with the rest of GMG.com what your agenda truly is other than being the self-appointed Grammar Patrol ? Bye...

ragpicker: REMOVED!

GMG Plumm, I am pleased that you have sent your last post to me ( would that it be your last post - PERIOD ). I will miss you though. After all because brevity is, indeed, the soul of wit, you are pretty funny at that.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac is safe for this year, unless we win less than 3 games. If you figure Idaho and UTSA are wins on the 2013 schedule, he already has 2/3rds of it taken care of. Only getting 1-2 more wins the rest of the way in 2012 would be terribly disappointing to me, but it won't cost McCarney his job. His make-it-or-break-it year will be 2014. His buyout is only one year and it won't make recruiting massively harder for this place than it already is with a coach who is in the last year of a contract. As if the other coaches we go up against aren't already full of plenty of information to recruit against us with, having Coach Mac go into a 5th year with absolutely no guarantee of an extension would kill recruiting. We can't beat out the ULMs of the world right now, but if Mac was coaching his 5th year (2015) without an extension, we wouldn't beat out SFA or Sam Houston for recruits.

As for RV, I'm convinced he has a job for life. He will get to dictate when he leaves. He does the work the BOR and administration want from him, plus the fans love him for opening up tailgating and for getting major facilities built on his watch. The university just looks at athletics as something to offer for fans who want to see their university particpate. Winning simply doesn't matter, at all. When your winning percentage is well below 40% as a program since 1970, its pretty hard to argue this point. When it is basically the same winning percentage since we moved back up to FBS play in 1995, it becomes even more clear.

We either don't have the money or don't want to use the funds to pay to win in athletics. If it is because we don't have the money, we shouldn't play at this level of college football. We really should have stayed as a FCS program. But, if its because we just won't pay to win in athletics, then I have to question why we even want to play sports at all. We wouldn't do that to our music department, let it go deprived of needed instruments, halls, instructors, and advertising. We shouldn't do that for athletics, either, unless we actually provide legitimate clear proof that we absolutely cannot afford to pay for success in sports. By the way, charging only half of the athletics fee that can be charged while others (UTSA, Texas State) charge the full price will not be legitimate proof, either, that we cannot fund the program adequately.

• Upvote 6

Coach Mac is safe for this year, unless we win less than 3 games. If you figure Idaho and UTSA are wins on the 2013 schedule, he already has 2/3rds of it taken care of. Only getting 1-2 more wins the rest of the way in 2012 would be terribly disappointing to me, but it won't cost McCarney his job. His make-it-or-break-it year will be 2014. His buyout is only one year and it won't make recruiting massively harder for this place than it already is with a coach who is in the last year of a contract. As if the other coaches we go up against aren't already full of plenty of information to recruit against us with, having Coach Mac go into a 5th year with absolutely no guarantee of an extension would kill recruiting. We can't beat out the ULMs of the world right now, but if Mac was coaching his 5th year (2015) without an extension, we wouldn't beat out SFA or Sam Houston for recruits.

As for RV, I'm convinced he has a job for life. He will get to dictate when he leaves. He does the work the BOR and administration want from him, plus the fans love him for opening up tailgating and for getting major facilities built on his watch. The university just looks at athletics as something to offer for fans who want to see their university particpate. Winning simply doesn't matter, at all. When your winning percentage is well below 40% as a program since 1970, its pretty hard to argue this point. When it is basically the same winning percentage since we moved back up to FBS play in 1995, it becomes even more clear.

We either don't have the money or don't want to use the funds to pay to win in athletics. If it is because we don't have the money, we shouldn't play at this level of college football. We really should have stayed as a FCS program. But, if its because we just won't pay to win in athletics, then I have to question why we even want to play sports at all. We wouldn't do that to our music department, let it go deprived of needed instruments, halls, instructors, and advertising. We shouldn't do that for athletics, either, unless we actually provide legitimate clear proof that we absolutely cannot afford to pay for success in sports. By the way, charging only half of the athletics fee that can be charged while others (UTSA, Texas State) charge the full price will not be legitimate proof, either, that we cannot fund the program adequately.

I don't understand why we only pay half an athletic fee because I have no real knowledge of the nature of these things. Perhaps you could enlighten me a bit, Green Eggs. Thanks

• Upvote 2

I don't understand why we only pay half an athletic fee because I have no real knowledge of the nature of these things. Perhaps you could enlighten me a bit, Green Eggs. Thanks

it is really not "half an athletics fee" per say (I am not really sure there is a restriction on the total athletics fee that can be charged in Texas), but the north Texas fee is roughly half of what UTSA and Texas State charge.....Texas State will be at 20 per credit hour this year for 15 hours max for a total of $300 per student per semester max......UTSA is at 20 per credit hour for up to 12 credit hours or a max of $240 per student per semester

north Texas is at $10 per credit hour for a max of 15 credit hours or $150 per student per semester

so north Texas is at a max ability to charge $150 per student per semester while Texas State is at $300 (starting this year) and UTSA is at $240.....north Texas could raise their fee one time for an amount under 10% of what is currently approved without a student vote if they were to desire to raise it 10% or more there would have to be a student vote and the student vote would have to include an amount that would be the total amount able to be charged

so north Texas without a student vote could raise their fee to $10.99, but so far the administration has declined to do so

the reason the fee is the way it is has to do with the fact that $10 was what was voted on and there was no vote for any amount of yearly increase (unlike Texas state that voted to start at $10 and have a yearly increase of $2 for 5 straight years up to the $20 total) and the legislative bill has the verbiage that states the fee for north Texas can only be raised one time for less than 10% of the current total without a student vote.....the reason that $.99 was not increased last year or this year or probably any year is because of "cheap" being the north Texas mantra

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/SB00473F.pdf#navpanes=0

It is great that Coach Mac is ranked so high and I think he is a great coach. I would be even happier if we were above 500.

um he is "ranked so high" because he is the 4th most likely coach to get fired......so he is really "ranked" as #8

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

it is really not "half an athletics fee" per say (I am not really sure there is a restriction on the total athletics fee that can be charged in Texas), but the north Texas fee is roughly half of what UTSA and Texas State charge.....Texas State will be at 20 per credit hour this year for 15 hours max for a total of $300 per student per semester max......UTSA is at 20 per credit hour for up to 12 credit hours or a max of $240 per student per semester

north Texas is at $10 per credit hour for a max of 15 credit hours or $150 per student per semester

so north Texas is at a max ability to charge $150 per student per semester while Texas State is at $300 (starting this year) and UTSA is at $240.....north Texas could raise their fee one time for an amount under 10% of what is currently approved without a student vote if they were to desire to raise it 10% or more there would have to be a student vote and the student vote would have to include an amount that would be the total amount able to be charged

so north Texas without a student vote could raise their fee to $10.99, but so far the administration has declined to do so

the reason the fee is the way it is has to do with the fact that $10 was what was voted on and there was no vote for any amount of yearly increase (unlike Texas state that voted to start at $10 and have a yearly increase of $2 for 5 straight years up to the $20 total) and the legislative bill has the verbiage that states the fee for north Texas can only be raised one time for less than 10% of the current total without a student vote.....the reason that $.99 was not increased last year or this year or probably any year is because of "cheap" being the north Texas mantra

um he is "ranked so high" because he is the 4th most likely coach to get fired......so he is really "ranked" as #8

HA! I did not read the link (Clearly). I saw 4th and was wondering how he was so high.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more. Athlon Magazine has us picked to go 3-9 this season. 3 wins this year and he gets a 4th season. I actually believe he could go 1-10 this year and get a 4th season. I for one believe he will get all 5 seasons. As for RV, if he still has a job after the Dodge and Stephens buyouts and is still here after this past year of basketball, I too believe he will be here for as long as he wants.

• Upvote 1

Thanks,Green Eggs. I get it now (I think). Cheap, of course, is the key word.

The one time I read your crap and you're wrong.

We are not at maximum in the athletic fee. We have the ability to raise it $2 per year until we max out at $20 per semester hour for 15 hours.

UNT simply has chosen not to do that while adding additional money games.

Jim is absolutely right. This administrations doesn't give 2 S's about winning at anything athletic, and what they have done to fund athletics throughout the years absolutely proves it. Nothing changed with the addition of Apogee.

Dodge should have been fired after the Army game in his 3rd year, but he wasn't. The ONLY reason not to make that move was wanting to save a few bucks on a payout. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about priority of athletics in the UNT hierarchy, nothing will.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The one time I read your crap and you're wrong.

We are not at maximum in the athletic fee. We have the ability to raise it $2 per year until we max out at $20 per semester hour for 15 hours.

UNT simply has chosen not to do that while adding additional money games.

Jim is absolutely right. This administrations doesn't give 2 S's about winning at anything athletic, and what they have done to fund athletics throughout the years absolutely proves it. Nothing changed with the addition of Apogee.

Dodge should have been fired after the Army game in his 3rd year, but he wasn't. The ONLY reason not to make that move was wanting to save a few bucks on a payout. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about priority of athletics in the UNT hierarchy, nothing will.

you may have finally read what I wrote, but unfortunately you were either unable to read or did not understand the link that I posted that is the Texas legislative bill that authorizes the athletics fee at north Texas

again learn how to read and pay attention

(g)
AA
The amount of the fee may not be increased to an amount
that exceeds by 10 percent or more the amount of the fee as last
approved by a student vote under Subsection (f) or this subsection
unless the increase has been approved by a majority vote of the
students enrolled at the university who participate in a general
student election held for that purpose.

(f)

AA
The fee may not be charged unless approved by a majority
vote of the students enrolled at the university who participate in a
general student election held for that purpose. The ballot for the
election to approve the fee must state a maximum amount of the fee
that may be charged per semester credit hour, not to exceed the
maximum amount prescribed by Subsection (a).

(a)

AA
The board of regents of the University of North
Texas System may charge each student enrolled at the University of
North Texas an intercollegiate athletics fee in an amount not to
exceed $10 per semester credit hour for each semester or summer
session.

so technically I was wrong....it can be increased 10% without a student vote not 9.9%.....so it could be increased to $11 dollars without a student vote

it is right there clear as day

• Upvote 1

you may have finally read what I wrote, but unfortunately you were either unable to read or did not understand the link that I posted that is the Texas legislative bill that authorizes the athletics fee at north Texas

again learn how to read and pay attention

(g)
AA
The amount of the fee may not be increased to an amount
that exceeds by 10 percent or more the amount of the fee as last
approved by a student vote under Subsection (f) or this subsection
unless the increase has been approved by a majority vote of the
students enrolled at the university who participate in a general
student election held for that purpose.

(f)

AA
The fee may not be charged unless approved by a majority
vote of the students enrolled at the university who participate in a
general student election held for that purpose. The ballot for the
election to approve the fee must state a maximum amount of the fee
that may be charged per semester credit hour, not to exceed the
maximum amount prescribed by Subsection (a).

(a)

AA
The board of regents of the University of North
Texas System may charge each student enrolled at the University of
North Texas an intercollegiate athletics fee in an amount not to
exceed $10 per semester credit hour for each semester or summer
session.

so technically I was wrong....it can be increased 10% without a student vote not 9.9%.....so it could be increased to $11 dollars without a student vote

it is right there clear as day

Well, if true, then the legislature completely changed what was voted in by the students.

Where was Dallas Lee when this change took place and exactly what do we pay him for?

A permanent fee turns into a temporary fee that can't be raised? Wasn't he hired for his legislation connections?

Seriously, how does that guy keep his freaking job?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1