PJ officially transferring

NT03

It's a simple math problem. If an athletic department stands to take a bigger financial hit by retaining a coach than by buying him out, then the bottom line may force their hand.

A math problem just about every other AD manages to solve when a disaster hits their doorstep.

• Upvote 1

A question for the older folks here: Didn't some students picket the admin building demanding Charlie Johnson be fired in about 1965? He resigned and I heard that at the time. I didn't see it and didn't talk to anyone who did. I heard that a bunch of frats got it together. We hired Spika and he had some very rough years before putting together our most talented team ever. Three hall of famers, two played pro for several years. Whitaker, Hamilton (ABA), and Winfield (NBA). I am not advocating this at all. I am pretty sure Johnson had no buyout clause.

A question for the older folks here: Didn't some students picket the admin building demanding Charlie Johnson be fired in about 1965? He resigned and I heard that at the time. I didn't see it and didn't talk to anyone who did. I heard that a bunch of frats got it together. We hired Spika and he had some very rough years before putting together our most talented team ever. Three hall of famers, two played pro for several years. Whitaker, Hamilton (ABA), and Winfield (NBA). I am not advocating this at all. I am pretty sure Johnson had no buyout clause.

I wasn't around in those days, but your average college coach back then didn't make much more than the equivalent of today's middle school P.E. coach, so we're likely out of luck as far as resignation goes. Wouldn't hurt to try though.

Just out of curiosity, why would our big donors have any particular allegiance to Benford? I'm not saying they don't, but I have to wonder from where this stems.

Just based on my observations, I think there is at least a portion of the RV entourage that didn't like the way JJ handled disciplinary actions, and they put the blame squarely on him for the Chris and Jordan failed class situation last season. I think they believe that somebody like Benford was needed to "whip these trouble-making city boys into shape."

This may be only part of it, but I do think there is some underlying anti-JJ sentiment within that group for whatever reason.

I will just throw it out there that the 3 million raised for the basketball program came in quickly after JJ was gone and without asking us ma and pa kettle fans for help. We needed a practice gym and improvements to the Pit long before Benford came in.

Edited by GRN-WHT
  • Upvote 1

Just based on my observations, I think there is at least a portion of the RV entourage that didn't like the way JJ handled disciplinary actions, and they put the blame squarely on him for the Chris and Jordan failed class situation last season. I think they believe that somebody like Benford was needed to "whip these trouble-making city boys into shape."

This may be only part of it, but I do think there is some underlying anti-JJ sentiment within that group for whatever reason.

I will just throw it out there that the 3 million raised for the basketball program came in quickly after JJ was gone and without asking us ma and pa kettle fans for help. We needed a practice gym and improvements to the Pit long before Benford came in.

They're gonna get their wish. It will be a looong time before those darn DISD boys take us seriously again.

We'll be the model of sub .500 choir boy basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just out of curiosity, why would our big donors have any particular allegiance to Benford? I'm not saying they don't, but I have to wonder from where this stems.

Their allegiance is to RV. RV has worked hard to cultivate that allegiance for many a good reason (with donations being at the top of that list).

But, establishing friendships with high dollar donors also builds job security. These donors know RV on a personal level and are friends with him.

Do you want to see one of your friends lose his job? Even if he isn't doing it properly? Of course not. Same with our big donors.

One of the problems with this program is that it has a very small donor base. Do you think some guy at UT who donates $500 a year ever gets an audience with the AD? Hell no. That can happen at any time at UNT. That breads a culture of people that don't really donate big money but expect to be treated like they do.

It's just very small time, like something you would expect to see at a Hardin-Simmons like institution, not at one with pver 35k students.

But we are UNT, and this is what we do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Their allegiance is to RV. RV has worked hard to cultivate that allegiance for many a good reason (with donations being at the top of that list).

But, establishing friendships with high dollar donors also builds job security. These donors know RV on a personal level and are friends with him.

Do you want to see one of your friends lose his job? Even if he isn't doing it properly? Of course not. Same with our big donors.

One of the problems with this program is that it has a very small donor base. Do you think some guy at UT who donates $500 a year ever gets an audience with the AD? Hell no. That can happen at any time at UNT. That breads a culture of people that don't really donate big money but expect to be treated like they do.

It's just very small time, like something you would expect to see at a Hardin-Simmons like institution, not at one with pver 35k students.

But we are UNT, and this is what we do.

Well, that makes sense. But, what I fail to understand is why those certain prominent donors are of a completely different opinion about Benford than just about everyone else who watched our team play this season. I feel like one of two possible scenarios is taking place. Either RV has convinced his buddies that Benford is a great coach with a bunch of bums for players OR . . . some of those with major influence on our athletic program have personal agendas that don't include winning as a high priority.

• Upvote 1

Well, that makes sense. But, what I fail to understand is why those certain prominent donors are of a completely different opinion about Benford than just about everyone else who watched our team play this season. I feel like one of two possible scenarios is taking place. Either RV has convinced his buddies that Benford is a great coach with a bunch of bums for players OR . . . some of those with major influence on our athletic program have personal agendas that don't include winning as a high priority.

Well, because that opinion is NOT shared by "just about everyone else who watched our team play". Don't let the few vocal lead you to believe it is the majority.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, because that opinion is NOT shared by "just about everyone else who watched our team play". Don't let the few vocal lead you to believe it is the majority.

That's fair. I probably shouldn't make such assumptions just yet. However, I'm bracing myself for when the preseason publications come out in a few months. I fully expect to see universally dismal predictions by the experts. I hope I'm wrong, and I guess we'll find out relatively soon what outside observers think of the direction of our program.

True. Many folks outside of North Texas think that a team which OUR athetic department touted as "the most talented ever" stumbling to a 12-20 finish and a blow out first round exit in the SBC tournament wasa sign of great things to come. No, really, they do. Don't let a few of us convince you otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That's fair. I probably shouldn't make such assumptions just yet. However, I'm bracing myself for when the preseason publications come out in a few months. I fully expect to see universally dismal predictions by the experts. I hope I'm wrong, and I guess we'll find out relatively soon what outside observers think of the direction of our program.

We will be picked last or second to last in the CUSA west.

But I'm sure only us bad apples will be disappointed by this.

We will be picked last or second to last in the CUSA west.

But I'm sure only us bad apples will be disappointed by this.

What due excerpts "no" anyweigh? /posts example of a wrong preseason prediction and smiles smugly - just like on the football board since 2006