ODU fires head coach Blaine Taylor

NT03

The program averaged about 25 wins the last 8 seasons, with multiple bids and an NCAA Tourney win (plus a CIT championship) under his belt.

Anyone know the story behind this? I can think of a handful of posters that - had he been here - would gut through their current situation and give him multiple chances.

Edited by greenminer

Any good prospects for our new coach next year?

Semi serious... If he had 2 or 3 more years that ODU has to buy out... We could offer him a backloaded deal, pay him a buck a year until the ODU contract ends, and afford to lose Benford without playing a SWAC ooc schedule.

We aren't getting rid of Benford, unless you donate the buyout. There's no way this university is going to buy out four years of a contract for a basketball coach when they wouldn't/couldn't buy out an extra year of the worthless Todd Dodge experiment that would have cost > $300k to get rid of him in 2009 instead of 2010.

• Upvote 1

We aren't getting rid of Benford, unless you donate the buyout. There's no way this university is going to buy out four years of a contract for a basketball coach when they wouldn't/couldn't buy out an extra year of the worthless Todd Dodge experiment that would have cost > $300k to get rid of him in 2009 instead of 2010.

In fairness, that was before we had a dedicated student athletics fee. . . .

But I still think you're right.

We ARE getting rid of Benford.

According to ODU fans the guy lots a ton of players over the last few years and alcoholism is taking it's toll on him. He even supposedly showed up at a radio show drunk. That alone could get him fired reguardless of the schedule.

You guys in Denton ... you need to make friends with Benford and take him out for drinks ... a lot of drinks ...

• Upvote 1

According to ODU fans the guy lots a ton of players over the last few years and alcoholism is taking it's toll on him. He even supposedly showed up at a radio show drunk. That alone could get him fired reguardless of the schedule.

You guys in Denton ... you need to make friends with Benford and take him out for drinks ... a lot of drinks ...

I know a place that would donate the drinks!

I like what Tasty suggested (not sure if you saw it): get a coach such as Taylor - that gets canned prior to the end of his contract. If it's the equivelant of Tony's length, the guy comes to Denton while still cashing his previous paycheck. We don't have to pay him until we're done paying off our obligations to Benford.

It's rare, I remember one instance of it: Lou Henson did this years ago, though under different circumstances. He came out of retirement to help NMSU knowing they were scrapped for cash. He was willing to donate his time but agreed to $1/month (state law mandate). After one year, he was given the position permanently (presumably with a competitive salary).

In 1997, Henson was named interim head coach at New Mexico State after Neil McCarthy was abruptly fired before the start of the season. Henson wanted to donate his time, but after being told state law didn't allow it, he accepted a nominal salary of $1 USD per month. After a successful season, he was given his old job back on a

permanent basis. His 1998-99 team won the Big West regular season and tournament titles—notably, the first time in Henson's career that he had won a conference tournament. He retired for good midway through the 2004-05 season due to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. His second stint allowed him to regain his standing as New Mexico State's all-time winningest coach, passing McCarthy.

Henson wiki

I wish I knew what JoshDude felt so confident about. But I don't and can only hope that the perfect storm we need for this to happen, happens.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1