Bobby Petrino - Western Kentucky

dml7007

Yep . . . sounds like Arky State blew that one after two great hires in a row.

supposedly the Mrs. felt Jonesboro was too close to the old job.

Lets hope they stay in the Belt, Bobby can coach

History says he won't.

Nice hire! Humans make mistakes so... -- he's a big time recruiter.

He sure wasn't a big time recruiter for the Hogs.

Curveitaround...He did have a similar situation with SMU coming to the table all be it last minute. One of the main reasons he did not go was June Jones's desire to move. When we were going thru the recruiting, my wife and I, his 2 OL coaches, his head coach and an ex team mate and close friend from Martin, Russell Bellomy, who is playing at Michigan...we all counseled him and told him to go with his "gut", even in the last minute drama with SMU, he was on the phone with all of them from 9 to 11 pm the night before signing day. But Connor is a people person and relationships are very important to him. The relationship he developed with Coach Simmonds and Coach Mac and then the belief in Coach Macs vision for the MEAN GREEN, is what sold him. And honestly...is selling him today. Anyone being recruited by WKU is going to be lured by the "name" of Bobby Petrino....but take off the rose colored glasses and how long do you think Bobby Petrino is going to stay at WKU? I would be willing to bet that this initial recruiting class will see a new head coach within 2 or 3 years. Nothing is a sure thing today in college football...coaches, conferences and contracts are not worth the paper they are written on...but if Connor was being recruited by WKU...I and I think all of Connors mentors would say...."buyer beware".

Edited by trussbussdad
  • Upvote 2

Curveitaround...He did have a similar situation with SMU coming to the table all be it last minute. One of the main reasons he did not go was June Jones's desire to move. When we were going thru the recruiting, my wife and I, his 2 OL coaches, his head coach and an ex team mate and close friend from Martin, Russell Bellomy, who is playing at Michigan...we all counseled him and told him to go with his "gut", even in the last minute drama with SMU, he was on the phone with all of them from 9 to 11 pm the night before signing day. But Connor is a people person and relationships are very important to him. The relationship he developed with Coach Simmonds and Coach Mac and then the belief in Coach Macs vision for the MEAN GREEN, is what sold him. And honestly...is selling him today. Anyone being recruited by WKU is going to be lured by the "name" of Bobby Petrino....but take off the rose colored glasses and how long do you think Bobby Petrino is going to stay at WKU? I would be willing to bet that this initial recruiting class will see a new head coach within 2 or 3 years. Nothing is a sure thing today in college football...coaches, conferences and contracts are not worth the paper they are written on...but if Connor was being recruited by WKU...I and I think all of Connors mentors would say...."buyer beware".

Awesome insight from someone that recently went through the process. I think that I would be in the same basic situation if I had someone going through the process where I was in a position of influence. I would not be surprised at all if Petrino is able to have a successful season next year. The question I would have as a potential recruit, parent, or fan of the WKU program is what is Petrino's commitment to making sure the program will be in as good shape when he leaves as when he got there.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You want to hire the coach with the flash, but you risk that he will be more focused on the short term and do more harm than good in the long haul and that recruits may see it as a negative. I would think that the likely short term stay of the flashy coach is an effective recruiting tool against that school. It will be interesting to see how things turn out with all the schools that recently made new hires and how many recruits de-commit during the transition. I certainly hope we can use the turnover to our advantage with a few recruits.

I'll say this about them. Career losing records. Someone let me know when my deposit for Boy Scout season tickets is due.

And how did WKU trick him into taking a four year contract? Every idiot knows five years is the minimum.

Probably aimed at me.

Why didn't they give him a 1-2 year contract? Everyone knows he's leaving after half a season anyway.

I'm upset we can't afford a buyout, but all I do is my part.

Edited by MeanMag

Curveit around....WKU history is not too great in the Win/Loss column. They had a great year last year, but average the year before that...other than the recent two years, everything else was 1 -3 wins. They always came by Martin and had nothing to sell. Dont know, but did they have a large JUCO "fix" this past 2 years?

I was reluctant to post this but many of you know our own coach had his own issues but was given a second chance. By all accounts now, Mac is someone our youngsters want to be associated with. What is to say the same will not happen with Petrino?

Did Mac lie to his AD and hire his mistress out of a pool of 200 applicants?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was reluctant to post this but many of you know our own coach had his own issues but was given a second chance. By all accounts now, Mac is someone our youngsters want to be associated with. What is to say the same will not happen with Petrino?

Repeated history.

I do think there is a significant difference in the kind of issues Petrino has and Mac had when given his second chance. You can't really say Mac is not someone for the long haul (he was 11years at Iowa state), but this as a totally fair assessement of Petrino. He has a coaching career of 20 years and never made it to a 4th year. And it is not just 1 place where he left with people shaking their heads, this has become a habit for him. I guess everyone acknoledges that he will leave WKU before the 4 years are up, but some of us will be looking with interest whether he will leave because of his probable success, or whether he might be even quicker to manage to f it up outside the lines.

Edited by outoftown

I understand were youre coming from because I had the same talks with my step brother... One thing that I mentioned that a lot of people overlook... It doesnt matter who the head coach is now bc he probably wont be when you graduate, I mean who would of thought that Bret Bielema would leave Wisconsin to go to Arkansas... You never know these days, what I told him is to look at the players, coaches and the outlook of the program.