UNT football recruiting update (comments from two)

Harry

A junior college safety and a defensive end/outside linebacker from Louisiana will be among the players UNT hosts on official recruiting visits this weekend.

Claude George of Acadiana High in Lafayette, La., and Demetrius Woodard, a free safety from Blinn College, both confirmed late this week that they will be in Denton beginning Friday.

UNT is recruiting Woodard as a free safety. He is being recruited by safeties coach Noah Joseph. Woodard has already visited Marshall and has scheduled visits to Texas State and New Mexico.

Woodard said that UNT is recruiting him as a free safety. He would compete with Marcus Trice, a junior who started throughout last season, for a starting job if he signs with UNT.

“I want to find a place I can feel at home, get exposure and start,” Woodard said. “I am going to take all my visits before I decide.”

Woodard’s last visit is scheduled for New Mexico beginning Dec. 14.

He was a first-team All-SWJCAC selection last season.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/11/unt-football-recruiting-update-comments-from-two-who-will-visit-starting-friday.html/

You would think NT could beat out Southern, McNeese and ULM. I am still looking for signs that recruiting is improving and I don't see it.

They haven't lost out to these schools yet. Also, don't conveniently ommit that Woodard is being recruited by Marshall and New Mexico.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They haven't lost out to these schools yet. Also, don't conveniently ommit that Woodard is being recruited by Marshall and New Mexico.

I guess you want to take this one back.

NT has recruited against a lot of bigger name schools than those two, but it means very little unless NT actually signs one. It seems that NT has lost all the battles against the big boys and now appears to be going for players with a lot less competition. I see a lot of non fb schools as competition for some of the athletes NT is now pursuing, maybe you can see that as a positive; but I sure can't.

If NT can't win a few against MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, and MWC schools this school is in for a long haul in rebuilding. From Mac mouth, he make a point of how few players were on the squad when he got here that had other FB offers. I think he should have keep those comments to his self, because he certainly hasn't to this point did any better.

And spare me, I know some of the little recruited players will turn out to be outstanding players; but the percentages are against you of building a good program with out winning the majority of recruiting battles with your peers. I don't expect NT to be competitive with many schools but I would have thought that NT would win a lot more recruiting battles than they have.